Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 06:58PM

From D&C Section 107:

13 The second priesthood is called the Priesthood of Aaron, because it was conferred upon Aaron and his seed, throughout all their generations.
14 Why it is called the lesser priesthood is because it is an appendage to the greater, or the Melchizedek Priesthood, and has power in administering outward ordinances.
15 The bishopric is the presidency of this priesthood, and holds the keys or authority of the same.
16 No man has a legal right to this office, to hold the keys of this priesthood, except he be a literal descendant of Aaron.

Nobody even asked me if I'm a "literal descendant of Aaron." And I'm not (nobody probably is...Aaron is most likely fictional).
Neither were any of my bishops.

So...what gives, mormons? Breaking your own rules???
Again???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scg73 ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 07:11PM

The key is the very next verse. The literal descendant of Aaron business refers specifically to the office of bishop. And it says that since high priests in the Melchesidek Priesthood can officiate in the lesser offices; they can serve as bishop if no literal descendant can be found.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 07:34PM

Yes, it does.
Has anyone ever actually *tried* to find a "literal descendant of Aaron" though? Hmm? :)

Posted by: kak75 aka kak57 ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 07:51PM

Maybe the best bet is to search among the Jews for people named Cohen, since those with that name are held to be descended from the Jewish priests serving in the Temple in Jerusalem.

Otherwise, there is no way to determine for sure who are the descendants since the Jewish genealogical archives were destroyed in the fall of Jerusalem in 64 A.D.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 08:32PM

Well, Hie, I was taught that literal descendants of Aaron had the rights associated with the priesthood as the Sons of Levi and could choose to be bishops without counselors.

Just to be clear on this, you and I hold the Levi priesthood when we grab the bulge in our jeans. Considering that you were ordained a deacon at age 12, it's altogether right and fitting that you held this priesthood. Aaron's Boner.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:22AM

We didn't have a choice. The elders were-are grasping at straws. They don't know better. It's as though they are children. Sad state of affairs- 'church' in apostasy.

It was forced upon us (like robbery, rape or slavery)!

It's weird.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 02:30AM

Were/ are you a man-boy? That's why!

You didn't beat (TMC) off (your back) [monkey]... or you lied about it (like most boys, and many gals).

You couldn't help it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.