Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 09:06PM

My daughter has cheerleading practice until 7 p.m. There is also a fireside starting at 7 p.m. If she could just show up in her practice clothes, she could be there at 7:15 or earlier. Instead the requirement is "Sunday Dress".

So that means she would have to come home and change and go back out and end up being 40 minutes late. Even my wife decided it's not going to be worth it.

I really don't think Jesus would care if he was teaching. He would say "come as you are" and be glad to receive anyone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 09:13PM

If Jesus was real, he never heard of "Sunday Dress."
And even on his "sabbath" (Friday sundown to Saturday sundown), nobody had to wear any special clothes.

Mormons and their rules...

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 09:20PM

Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 11:08PM

I use to get off work from a night shift and go to church id have just enough time to get there as I was in work clothes (often shorts) id get so many snide comments oh is it casual Saturday blah blah it was one of one of my last things that made me say F em.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:22AM

(Stan's advocate) Can't DD bring 'church appropriate' clothes with her & change at church?

Posted by: itwasnotme ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:27AM

She has to shower, that's part of Sunday dress. Even if showers were available where practice was held I would I would consider it taking an unnecessary risk with the safety my son or daughter.

Posted by: LifeFromANewView ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:39AM

You know I drive around when I'm working a sunday shift. I see a lot of churches and some people are dressed quite nice and neat and some people are just in normal old street clothes. They are all going into the same building and I don't see any discrimination over it. Mormons are the only people I've seen who walk in dressed like its a funeral... Oh sorry that's right it is a funeral for their independent thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 10:40AM by lifefromanewview.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:57AM

I've told this story here before, but over a dozen years ago when I lived in Orem, I lived in a 4-plex and was attending the Unitarian congregation that met in the Valley. The family who lived in the 2-bedroom apartment next to me had 3 kids.

One day I walked out my door to go to church and the oldest was sitting on the stairs and said, "where are you going?" I said "to church." Then in a very astonished voice she said, "In paaants??" I said, "yes, I go to the church where God doesn't care what you wear." Then she exclaimed, "He doesn't???!"

Their window had been open and her mom heard the conversation through the screen. At that moment she immediately yelled at her daughter to get in the house. I laughed so hard. I'm sure that little girl got a lecture right there about the fact that God DOES care what we wear to church and she shouldn't be talking to their evil neighbor.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:54PM

Back in the old days before throw away razors we had a free spirit...we were just tickled when he showed up in any clothes..school was hard....nudity is the great equalizer...most days im just grateful for clothes...any clothes...ive got a mirror...clothes are a tender mercy and part of gawds true plan for us...pants are truly a blessing for women...speshly when shes -30 ...the fossils can eat dirt...or that from which dirt comes..and gawd can cut way back on her bs too...like everything morm...its always lost in translation...dammit tommy i said the schmitt house

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.