Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 08:34PM

The temple training document is _crazy_. Things I learned:

1. Church stops tracking temple attendance....it drops 12% in six months. (No hounding, people get lax.)

2. In eight years (1989-97) temple attendance at LAX dropped 50%.

3. Call more ordinance workers...that will get more people going and create "more cheerleaders" for temple work. (LOL.)

4. Typical (as I read it) new member retention is 40%. (Yikes.)

5. Stake presidency PPIs with bishops need to happen until temple attendance improves. (Holy crap. Put the screws to them!)

6. Recommendation: Do multiple sessions when you go to the temple. (Like a couple hours of that garbage needs to be doubled??)

7. One temple president remarked, "If we don't get our people to the temple, we are no better than any other denomination." (WTF?)

Control, pressure, and criticism to get people to go to the temple. Yeah, great plan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 01:04PM

The "our people" sounds rather proprietary, as if they own them.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 08:24PM

The beatings will not stop until the attitude improves

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 09:41PM

But they keep building more temples... I don't get it.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 05:04PM

"In eight years (1989-97) temple attendance at LAX dropped 50%."

Well ya know you can only watch the same movie over and over so many times before you're tired of it.

Posted by: lil red ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 06:25PM

He means, "If we don't get our people to the temple, we can't ensure receiving their ten percent."

Posted by: de ja vue ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 08:53PM

I say bring it on. Screw them lids tighter. Let's get some good pressure build up. Increase the guilt and and shame and bring out the anti-depressants. How high can it go?

The mental gymnastics they create in this cult blows the lid off.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 10:07PM

I can't believe that the convert letter to BKP survived and was not immediately shredded. While the convert agrees with some points of BKP's "The Mantle is Far, Far Greater than the Intellect" talk, the writer directly criticizes the church leaders for its defensive posture and a patronizing attitude.

Assuming that the writer used his correct name, a special court of love may have been summoned as a gentle reminder not to question leaders and their assessment of what is best for the church.

The letter basically accuses the church of hiding its imperfect history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2017 10:07PM by messygoop.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 10:28PM

My dad has, for some reason always insisted that general authorities fly coach. Well, here's the proof of the obvious that they don't. And Delta flights suck, too, so getting on a first class seat would be a huge bonus.

I wonder which one of nelsons grandsons is a doctor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2017 10:29PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 07:29PM

It seems that his grandson had to go to Ohio for Med school. I wonder if this was the time period when top authorities in the church were complaining to Utah lawmakers that the UoU Med school was discriminating against mormon boys from BYU.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 01:25AM

The ONLY way they'll get new temple attendance is to offer 3 Sundays a month off for one day at the temple, release from all callings, with free lunch, and lodging, and pre-paid gas cards, paid leave at work and free multiple ceilings, etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2017 01:27AM by readwrite.

Posted by: sd allison ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 10:30AM

I find it interesting that temple attendance dropped significantly after the 1990 changes. Perhaps the lack of explanation caused people to wonder.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 04:07PM

I was thinking that was also about the time the internet was up and running. Maybe a lot of people went online looking for answers, and found more than they bargained for. This was before the old farts had a clue how much damage the internet could do to their so called church.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 12:31PM

That would be an illustration of Joseph Smith sitting down with a couple of his minions in the 1830s and discussing what good "account" to write up for the gullible plebes.

Either that or a lovely picture of an early-morning unoccupied forest -- maybe with a passing squirrel in the foreground.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 08, 2017 12:40PM

For the church that later blamed commissioned artists for creating confusion about the rock in the hat vs the U and T version in translation, the leaders have ALWAYS maintained full control about every minute detail (including artwork) of all LDS sanctioned publications.

The members were deceived every step of the way.

Posted by: Topped ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 02:14PM

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 04:25PM

What I found FASCINATING was Nelson's daily planner.

Six figures for that amount of "work"??

And the boarding passes were a nice touch. First Class. Nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 05:05PM by left4good.

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 05:19PM

Yeah, AGREED. Give a few talks once in a while (or attend someone else's talk), travel around, and a lot of blank spaces each day.

There goes the argument, "Being a GA is hard work--they deserve to get paid well!"

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 09, 2017 05:24PM

Hey, not getting revelation is hard work.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.