Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 10:35PM

Carol Lynn is a poet, author, playwright, screenwriter, performer, speaker, general free-lance philosopher. She was born in Salt Lake City and earned an M.A. in theater from Brigham Young University. Her two bumper stickers over the years are instructive: “Loving Kindness is my Religion” and “Question Authority.”

Carol Lynn Pearson will speak to us about her latest book, The Ghost of Eternal Polygamy. It is a powerful and long-overdue look at the extraordinary damage that is done today in the LDS community by the ongoing belief in and policies driven by polygamy, past and future.

You are encouraged to read her book before attending our meeting on the 5th. At the very least listen to Carol Lynn reading excerpts from the book on her website:

http://carollynnpearson.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 11:06PM

I understand it is an exmo conference but is Ms Pearson an exmo? Other of her family?

Gatorman
9-4
23-6
6-1

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: February 28, 2017 10:33AM

I shall read the book, thank you. If I'd been in Utah I'd have done my best to attend but alas I'm not going to be there.

The first book of hers I read was 'Goodbye, I Love You' and I've been a fan ever since.

I met her in one occasion too and was struck by her intelligence and authenticity.

Posted by: Free Ride to the top, n/t ( )
Date: February 28, 2017 10:46AM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 10:17AM

When I read her book,"Goodbye I love you" in the 80's I thought, "you poor thing". When I re-read it in the 90's after my own husband came out as a gay man, I cried through every page. When he passed in 2014, though we had been divorced for over 20 years, I, too, said "goodbye, I love you" to him in the ICU. That was when I realized that her story was my story.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 11:37AM

thanks for sharing that, gemini. I read her Goodbye I Love You book when it came out. It was my first exposure to compassion for gay people. It was also my first exposure to the terrible, abusive "therapies" that BYU imposed on them. It was the beginning of me feeling like they are normal human beings, and that society and churches torture them for no good reason.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: February 28, 2017 10:47AM

Hooked on the book already and I'm only two pages in.

I just read...

"I’M TOLD THAT I am now one of the “wise-woman elders” of our tribe. In my tribe we don’t pay much attention to our wise-woman elders. Our male Elders own the talking stick and occasionally pass it to women, young or old. And so I have learned to make a place for myself and to take that place. My business is to tell the stories. As a fourth-generation actively participating Mormon who has for fifty years written about the joys and failures of our community, about women, men, marriage, love, and truth, I believe it is time to finally tell some of the hardest stories."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2017 03:45PM by Claire Ferguson.

Date: March 02, 2017 12:18AM

A number of years ago I took in Carol Lynn's play, have to day it was very powerful in its support of the LGBT community.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 09:57AM

She's written at least thirteen plays, including My Turn on Earth, Mother Wove the Morning, The Order is Love, A Stranger for Christmas, and Facing East. Is it Facing East that you meant?

Date: March 02, 2017 11:23AM

Yes, Facing East! Theater in the round, centered around the casket. Father of the deceased was a bishop as I recall.

Posted by: free ride to the top n/t ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 11:39AM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 02:29PM

I had an opportunity to speak with her a few years ago. To my knowledge, she is still a member. She nearly became part of the "Sept. Six", however, the gist of not being #7 was because her bishop convinced the leaders she was more valuable in the church than out of it.
She takes a strong position of a mother in heaven. She does not go so far as Sonja Johnson, however, who was excommunicated.

She is a very talented, lovely woman.

Posted by: Question ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 01:18AM

What time and where?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.