Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 10:03PM

We here in Southern Utah lost a giant of a man, Larry helped found our Support Group. He will be greatly missed. Larry and his wife Tammy were in the Manti Temple presidency when they discovered the fraud.

When in recovery and having much anger, I asked Larry how to deal with my anger, his advice… to help others in their journey out of Mormonism. I’ve followed Larry’s advice to this day supporting our Southern Utah Ex/Postmormon Support group.

Larry and Tammy’s journey is posted on our website here:
http://www.exmormon.org/journey/journey_a.htm

Larry’s Obit can be found here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thespectrum/obituary.aspx?n=larry-braithwaite&pid=184295097

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 11:47PM

Thanks for sharing the links, and sorry for the loss of your friend, and a good man.

Posted by: Topping ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 12:12PM

^^^^^One of the great post-Mos has died.^^^^

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 05:19PM

It was a lot of work being lds-but many times we couldn't help it.

Now that we can/ Since that work is over - for many of us - the real work has just begun [as we sock it to 'em, one (would be) member [family] at a time].

Thanks for the post... and the reminder - and all you [ALL] do.

And thanks RFM!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 03:08PM

I am so sad to learn of Larry's passing. I met Larry in 1983 when he engaged me as a painting contractor here in Mesa.

I have never worked for a better man in my whole career.

I tried sending condolences to Tammy but the address I had didn't go through.

If anyone sees her please convey to her my sincere sympathy.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 03:31PM

That is sad news. When Larry sent me his story over 20 years ago, it was written in ALL CAPS. He had severe arthritis and painfully wrote out everything by slowly hitting the keys as he could. I had to rewrite a portion of the story so it could go online. I told him and Tammy to get an editor to help clean up their powerful story. It has been a mainstay of exmormon.org ever since.

He helped many people. He is a great example of a kind generous person. I was fortunate to know him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2017 03:36PM by Eric K.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 09:13AM

Well thanks to Larry, I found this website and have been here ever since.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 07:21PM

I read Larry and Tammy's bio this morning. What an incredible life story they shared together.

Larry goes into depth on the Mountain Meadows Massacre, among other subjects, as does Tammy tackle major talking points of church doctrine and teachings.

They're what I would best describe as a LDS "power couple" before they left it. They were too honest to live a lie once it became apparent it was a lie.

Compare that to Larry's stake president, who told Larry he stayed to keep the peace with his wife and children by keeping the facade going (as if that was really going to save him *or them* in the end?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 07:23PM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.