Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 04:59PM

They want to talk their crazy fantasy bullshit lets go. LETS GO. I watched some crazy movies in my lifetime. I can go head to head with your crazy ideas you were taught or came up with. What's the best you got? millions of wives? eternal planets? what is it? LETS GO

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 05:02PM

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 05:04PM

*quadruple facepalm*

Date: March 03, 2017 05:08PM

Sorry little over the top

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 06:00PM

I don't think its over the top at all. You made me laugh.

There is a deep need to defend themselves and doing that is a way for them to doubt their doubts. We are providing them a wall for them to bang their heads against?

As Mormon is, Exmo once was. As Exmo is, Mormon may become.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 06:25PM

I think OP is referring to the "No Sex" thread. Honest TBM made another parody post.

Date: March 03, 2017 11:31PM

And a post made by him a while ago I didn't realise it was the same person, from what I've seen he stirs things up defending mormonism but I guess he's just a jokster HAHA.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 02:20AM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> As Mormon is, Exmo once was. As Exmo is, Mormon
> may become.

That's awesome! I like it

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 02:27AM

> As Mormon is, Exmo once was. As Exmo is, Mormon
> may become.

Umm...I don't know that we teach that. I don't know that we emphasize it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 06:31PM

Adam, Mormons are not allowed to Morm on this site. Honest TBM is written as a parody. You can feel free to report any other poster that is proselytizing or apologizing for the church.

Date: March 03, 2017 07:13PM

What does that mean Honest TBM made a parody post

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 07:14PM

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 07:18PM

when Honest TBM posts, just think "it's Opposite Day."

Date: March 03, 2017 07:27PM

Cussing) fuck I don't know if I can do that. Does he do that for every post?

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 07:36PM

Honest TBM is probably a regular poster that just has fun posting a parody every now and then. When he/she does, it is under the Honest TBM moniker.

Kinda like President Paternoster that used to do a blog. Or maybe still does a blog. It was very entertaining.

http://stakepresident.blogspot.com/

Not sure if it is OK to post the link, but here it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2017 07:38PM by Riverman.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 07:37PM

As far as I know, yes. I like parody and satire and find the Honest TBM posts amusing once in awhile. If it bugs you, use the scroll function on your mouse.

Date: March 03, 2017 07:52PM

Alright I'll try to be more aware of him I don't want that nonsense entering my mind even for a second I've worked too damn hard to get my mind deprogrammed from that crap to where its at I don't want any flashbacks of mormon talk, that's the second time I caught him or her talking like that and I'm starting to think its just to piss some of us off that really want to get well and free finally but cant get rid of that creature with tentacles called the lds church no matter where go.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 05:40AM

satire, sarcasm and irony are all related and are something (I believe) most americans do not encounter daily, unlike in the UK for instance, because it is considered 'rude' by some (especially so with sarcasm). Once you are 'switched on' to these 3 different forms of humour you will always recognise it quickly. Sometimes people using sarcasm mean it to be cutting and hurtful - this is when it takes on it's title of being "the lowest form of wit", but mostly it can be delivered without hurting someone's feelings. Sometimes satire is badly written, however, I find HonestTBM's quite funny because if anyone was indeed that extreme in their views it would be quite sad - his/her writing is almost believable, that is what makes it such good satire; it is very close to the truth. It is good to take things 'to the extreme' to display how really truly stupid the subject/behaviour/belief was in the first place. Treating a subject with humour tends to make it less scary and is more healthy than getting angry and worked up in a negative way.

Enjoy being awoken to the subtleties of different forms of humour. In a couple of years you will be expert at using them and will find more things in life to laugh at when you put your 'satirical spectacles' on. I often find myself laughing in the cinema with just one or two others who have gotten a particular joke - or maybe we just all had the same sense of humour.

I'm all for more satire but it is very difficult to get it 'right', yet HonestTBM does this very well in relation to mo'ism, imo.

Date: March 04, 2017 02:40PM

Maybe so but its still enough to make someone mad nontheless.

Date: March 04, 2017 08:06PM

I don't mean to sound condescending, but it's a more 'grown up' form of humour. Once you have picked up on it, you wonder how you could have missed it in so many places for so long. If your sense of humour is a bit twisted or gallows (like we brits) then it can provide you with hours of entertainment. It is the written equivalent of drawing a caricature - not everyone will like it, some may find it insulting, but odds are you will find some you find some you really enjoy.

Date: March 05, 2017 06:11PM

It isn't funny sorry

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 08:06AM

The only people who could possibly think that what I write is parody are those who have the silly idea in their head that the LDS Church is not the most truthful, honest, and transparent organization on the earth. Of course it must be to be the true Church. One of the best indicators that it's the true Church ought to be during extended family gatherings with TBM loved ones that they all talk comfortably, openly, well-informed, and forthrightly about any topic such as the ancient works Joseph Smith did some translation work (I.e. kinderhook plates, papyri written by Abraham, golden plates now in the record room with wagon loads of other sacred writings below the Hill Cumorah), MMM, plural marriage, versions of the first Vision, sacred edits to the D&C, the forthright lives of historical leaders like the great prophet/seer Richard R. Lyman, latest church financial/statistics details, and anything. As you feel totally comfortable to ask questions you may have "gosh the Church is so true and transparent" thoughts enter your head. Otherwise if you were to think something like "the Church isn't completely transparent and my relatives are clueless" then you might come back here to rant and stay on the path away from the joys of being fully immersed in the wondrous gospel.

Date: March 05, 2017 06:12PM

Exactly not funny

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 04:58PM

I thought it was funny, but your reply made it hilarious!

Sorry.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 07:15PM

Look at the bright side: the stronger Mos make strong ex-Mos. It's perspective. Most of us didn't wake up one day and discover the fraud. It can take years. For some, a lifetime.

Date: March 03, 2017 07:30PM

That is very true some of the best knowledge and advice I have came from a strong exmo that was once a strong mormon of 50 years.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 08:00PM

Look up parody in a dictionary.

Date: March 03, 2017 11:25PM

I will one of these days I'm sure its all too complicated for me to understand but for me it just looked like a person trying to piss everyone off without saying I'm just joking by the way.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 12:21AM

That's an oxy-morMon.

A "strong Mormon" works themself out of the lds franchise and into reality/ formonism.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 12:34AM

Only strong smelling mormons.

Date: March 04, 2017 01:50AM

Strong in their beliefs a TBM in your world is it still an oxymoron?

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 02:18AM

Here you go Badassadam, here is another guy that does satire or parody. Don't take him seriously. It's all in fun.

https://generalauthority.wordpress.com

Date: March 04, 2017 02:37AM

Its badass with a lower case b and give me an example that aren't religious talks please that's all I've been dished so far.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 07:31AM

I think Saturday Night Live sketches are a good example of parody.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 08:37AM

Excuse me. You expect us to spoon feed you examples of parody and satire, and then you complain about the quality of what you are being spoon fed?

Ok. Essentially all tv sit-cons are satire. So is all observational comedy. Satirical writers you should have studied in HS: Jonathan Swift, Mark Twain, maybe HL Mencken. Even Ben Franklin, the Bronté sisters, and Galileo did some satire.

Writers that frequently or always engage in satire: Andy Borowitz, Gail Collins, The Onion, Carl Hiaasen, Garrison Keillor. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Parody is a sub-category of satire. It is the exaggerated depiction of a person or category of people. The Church Lady on SNL is a parody. IMHO Tina Fey's parody of Sarah Palin should retire the trophy for best parody. Mr Deity on YouTube is a parody of God. In fact, it is a parody of the Mormon God.

The Colbert Report was a multi-year parody of a right-wing tv pundit. As over the top as it was, there were people who actually thought he was supporting the positions and opinions he was mocking. This was another example of Poe's Law.

Date: March 04, 2017 02:47PM

Ok now that makes more sense thank you

Date: March 04, 2017 08:51AM

tv satire can be very entertaining: mockumentaries are rather popular at the moment and can be very funny: mock documentaries (like the cringe-worthy office, or parks and recreation), when actors pretend they are in a reality show, sometimes this involves being a fake celebrity or fortune reader or whatever and actual stereotypes of celebrities are mocked.

Satire can also be in written form, like HonestTBM's posts and websites like 'the onion'. Going back in time a bit, Oscar Wilde's writings can be quite satirical - the importance of being earnest comes to mind - but he had quite a gentle humour by our standards but was a bit daring in his own time, considering the age he lived in. He was, however, irish and there are none as politely sarcastic as the irish.

start looking it up yourself - you never know, it may turn out to be your favourite medium for reading or watching.

Posted by: parody my ass ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 09:07AM

The problem with Honest TBM's "parody" is that Honest TBM totally sucks at delivery. If I were to self-righteously state, "This is not an appropriate place; this is a place where vulnerable people can be triggered or harmed," I'm sure that like others have been, I would be advised that I am neither god, the owner of the site, nor a moderator.

"Honest TBM" displays little care about the potential harm he or she may do to vulnerable people, as long as he or she receives positive (maybe even negative) feedback from those not harmed by his or her posts. It's not like someone freshly out of the cult needs to be reminded of the torture, but the pain is only a distant memory for those able to find it amusing.

Adam, don't read anything that "Honest TBM" posts. I would classify those posts as "sarcasm," because in my humble opinion, parody requires a greater exaggeration than "Honest TBM" seems to want to exhibit. The posts mime the original messages too closely.

Sarcasm, on the other hand, is said to be rooted in a "tearing of flesh," a price of little concern to "Honest TBM."

In other words, Honest TBM couldn't give a shit less if his or her posts hurt you, as long as he or she gets attention from long-time exmos. I have also had the feeling that for the price of one or two well-known "inside" jokes (among Mormons and exmos alike) per post, a "strong TBM" gets away with "preaching" on this board.

I skip over those posts, don't respond or give the creep any attention, that thing he or she craves most "honestly."

I'm sorry you were hurt. Don't read what that sadist writes; it's like returning to LDS. I hope you find comfort in these words. If "Honest TBM" posts on (shits on; wants to hurt you more) this thread, ignore it. It's the only way to deal with a narcissist.

Date: March 04, 2017 02:52PM

You understand thank you

Date: March 05, 2017 08:32AM

Ouch!!! I do not seek to harm anyone at all. What I would like is to seem them do some "laugh out moderately" (and more loudly if they haven't been to the temple) as "laughter is the best medicine. My intention has never been to harm anyone and if anyone has felt that way then I humbly apologize.

It's very easy to forget when well past feelings of feeling betrayed that when many people first go down this path in realizing that they were betrayed that they don't have very good "baloney detectors" up because of how vulnerably raw they feel in the grieving process. Once someone has sufficiently grieved then they should have strong "baloney detectors" and better discern with confidence :) Becoming well-informed is one of the best ways on how to build strong "baloney detection" capabilities within ourselves.

AND no it's not because of narcissism or any such reasons that I started posting here. It's because of my deep desire to expose the absurdities of what I call the "anti Moroni" people in Mormonism like Daniel C. Peterson. Either the whole enchilada has to be defended or it needs to be discarded. Thus I strive to give the answers that should be given by honest defenders of the faith.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 09:26AM

I can totally understand how you feel, Adam. I'm a never-mo but have gone through so many of the same issues in a Christian fundamentalist group.

By the time I left, I couldn't even sit in a church service without just wanting to run out the door. I could not stand to be around any Christian talk or anything that reminded me. I was traumatized. On the other hand, others have also been traumatized and need to deal with it in a different way. Maybe it's therapeutic for Honest TBM to post the way he does.

Today I can hear and read things like that, but wasn't able to for quite some time. Best advice I can give is to just look at the name of the poster as soon as you see something not right, and scroll away. Eventually you will heal and be able to look at it if you want, but for now, just pass it by. Maybe think of it as purposely not letting that mindset in anymore, you don't believe it, you reject it, and don't have to listen to Mormon b.s. even if it's in parody form.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 09:29AM by KiNeverMo.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 10:18AM

People come here to learn... even tbms, trolls and standard dummies. No such thing as a strong Mormon - only 'faithfool', deluded, or crazy ones.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 08:13PM

I love Honest TBM's posts & replies. At first I was a little tweaked by them until I realized the spirit (so to speak) in which they are written--now I look forward to them. It's some clever writing that helps me clean out the corners of the ol' brain pan.

That's one thing I like a lot about this site: there's a fairly wide variety of writing styles, perspectives, degrees of recovery etc...but if there's a common denominator it's that the writers seem pretty darn smart. I like reading posts by smart people.

Posted by: bettydee ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 08:56PM

I have wondered the same thing myself , I thought this was a forum for ex Mor rons. I don't understand why an active Mor Ron
would want to join a site for EX MORMONS. I despise Mor rons! I think they are the most stupid despicable people on earth. The further away I am from one the better I am! I am an ex Mormon and proud of it.

Posted by: bettydee ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 09:00PM

I have wondered the same thing myself , I thought this was a forum for ex Mormon. I don't understand why an active Mormon
would want to join a site for EX MORMONS. I despise Mormons I think they are the most despicable people on earth.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 01:10AM

... burdened with a desperate need to confront and defeat ex-Mos in a losing battle to confirm and bolster their waffling belief.

Some go away in denial, telling themselves that they have won the battle for their coursge, their conscience and their cult-concocted Christ.

Others go away honestly admitting to themselves that they have lost the battle and, with that, their worst fears have been realized, but they don't have the fortitude to leave, so unhappily and self-hatingly continue in the cult.

Still others go away realizing that Mormonism is a proven fraud and act on that fsct by bucking up and deciding to bolt the cult.

In all three cases, playing the "strong Mormon" is a cover against fear, pressure and doubt. Some manage to chuck that faux armor; others don't.

Whatever happens, their appearance on this Recovery from Mormonism site is--in the beginning, in the middle and in the end--all about them. That's not a bad thing; it's a fundamental human reality. They just need to admit it, then deal with it.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2017 01:55AM by steve benson.

Date: March 06, 2017 02:16PM

Some people may suppose that our sacred hymn is "We Thank Thee O God for the Neal A. Maxwell Institute scholars" but that is bunk. Thus it must be so confusing for people trying to defend the faith (and also those critics oppose it) to know what they are dealing with concretely. When we sing "How Firm a Foundation" we aren't supposed to be singing about slippery Jello but the solid rock of the glorious gospel truths as revealed to prophets. If the foundations of the gospel were Jello then the Church might as well fold up.

But why should it stay in business? By the world knowing very openly and transparently that Thomas S. Monson (as the leader but with 14 underlings) is very much a true prophet, true seer, true revelator, and true leader over the flocks of Christ. Well what does it mean to be true? Being honest, truthful, transparent, and setting an example for the world. Thus when people think of the Church they think "gosh what a super honest organization built upon a rock solid foundation".

What is this rock solid foundation? That all the things that the Brethren have been teaching since Joseph Smith and Brigham Young are super-consistent. Any of you ever read any of the wondrous sermons from Brigham Young on racial harmony and the proper number of wives for a man to have to get exaltation and how he (i.e. God) feels about the system of one-wife marriage? Well that is the wondrous legacy that must be defended today, the rest of the 21st century, and for all eternity as long as God permits Mormonism to roll forth upon the Earth.

Do you know who would make the best apologists for the Church? Definitely not me as I'm just a humble peon whose lot in life should probably be to joyously clean chapel toilets so Heavenly Father can save dough for the Brethren's slush fund and for me to not question my station in life. And most definitely not those anti-Moroni hypocrites at the Maxwell Institute and other places who refuse to defend (or abandon) the glorious gospel. Who would make the best apologists would be the literal descendants of Father Lehi with all those Hebrew genetic markers flowing through their veins. I'd love to see them doing testimony videos on YouTube of how the ancient works (such as the papyri written by Abraham or the Kinderhook Plates) we have interpretation about through Joseph Smith have touched their lives.

Date: March 06, 2017 06:22PM

You should just quit.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: March 07, 2017 12:11PM

It's not your place to monitor this board badassadam. Many of us here enjoy Honest TBM's posts. We get it's not your cup. Move to the next post and enjoy the variety found here is my unsolicited recommendation.

Date: March 09, 2017 07:09AM

You probably still go to church like TBM does or maybe you should go back if you enjoy that garbage even in satire it's not funny at all hes trying too hard. Anyways I got to go talk to people that have actually been through stuff and not a bunch of joksters that think this is all a game.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 06:42PM

Honest TBM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> But why should it stay in business? By the world
> knowing very openly and transparently that Thomas
> S. Monson (as the leader but with 14 underlings)
> is very much a true prophet, true seer, true
> revelator, and true leader over the flocks of
> Christ.

That's the problem right there.
Tom Monson is NOT a prophet of Christ, and NEVER WILL BE, because the Bible makes it plain. And the non-Mormon Christian world will never doubt the Bible.

Monson became the church president simply due to fate, by luck of having those above him in senoirity die before he does. That alone does NOT make one a prophet.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 08:14PM

Like a butterfly...just flap in an open window to criticize the flowers one day...boom..exmo...i too was tweaked by honest to begin with...the old hackles go up thing...but geez the guy could start a church..not even joey could string stufff together as well as honest...nor jeebus likely...but we dont really know how he might gave talked...above all else...learn to laugh long and often at yourself and others...though more so yourself...theres so much material...loud laughter is approved of gawd...so is brother jake

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 10:14PM

Beckons brightly

Forbidden knowledge is sacred not secret

Welcome to our midst

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 10:27PM

Back when I was a TBM and got curious after church and typed things like "polygamy" in the search engine usually exmormon.org would pop up almost at the top. I read some things on here while TBM that made me very upset but before posting I wanted to do further research about the subject that upset me. Well the rest is history I have officially resigned a few years ago.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 03:36PM

There really are no strong mormons that come here, just some who claim to be. But think of it this way, could you stand to go to pro-mormon web sites for more than about 30 seconds? When you were TBM could you have come here without running back scared with your tail between your legs?

So even though some come here for various reasons--maybe to see what their family members are saying so they can copy it, embellish it, and send it out to the whole family (who more than likely gets tired of hearing about it after awhile and tells them to stuff it) or to claim that they have answers to all the questions people post here. But if they can stand to come here more than once, you can't tell me it's not because they are closeted doubters.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 06:52PM

Some who are still in the church , but have doubts or questions, can't go on a LDS web site and get an honest answer, here, they can . They also won't be judged or get preached at

Date: March 07, 2017 04:26AM

That's actually a very good point

Posted by: You don't know me ( )
Date: March 07, 2017 11:56AM

I like Honest TBM. I can understand that there are people in different stages of recover, or visiting for a variety of reasons. Honest reminds me of Twain or Swift.

I'm guessing that if S/he so chose, by posting similar things as posted on this board on a real TBM board, a LOT of seeds of doubt would be planted. Tangential references to things "that should be ignored" are a an excellent way to get people to look. Why did Lot's wife turn to salt? Because she looked when told not to. Why did Eve care about eating the apple? Because she was told not to.
Why do I know the name Milo Yiannopoulos? Because a lot of people in Berkeley told me I could not listen to him.

Honest brings up a lot of things to be ignored (and in Mormonism, there is a full quiver of things to ignore). Mountain Meadows, Polygamy/D&C132, Zina Huntington Smith Young, Law of Consecration, Hand Carts, Blood Atonement, Adam/God, the entire JOD, Abraham, typos, the Canadian copyright, William Law, pepperbox pistol, wine, mild barley drinks, Kinderhook, First vision . . . you get the idea. I'd wager that most arm chair apologists/bishops/babycenter people have heard of less than half of those issues, let alone know them.

By saying thank goodness all of these things have been well answered, S/he is pointing out that they AREN'T answered, but should be. And since they aren't, it's reasonable to posit that it's because they CAN'T be. I laugh at some of Honest's posts. I think something valuable is added.

To expand on Hockey Rat, the first rule of debate is to know the other parties position and arguments. In court, you never ask a question you don't know the answer to. To refute an argument, you have to know and understand it. A "strong mormon" might come for that reason. But as stated above, they'll have to argue "pray about it" or "spirit of contention", because you can't argue facts.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 02:24PM

I'm a writer and an editor and I love satire, irony, and parody. All of those things.

I agree with badassadam that this is poorly executed because I did not realize -- until this thread -- that Honest TBM is meant to be a parody character. It's not clear or obvious to me. There's no exaggeration to clue in the reader that the character is meant to be humorous. Perhaps it's the text on screen thing where we can't infer from inflection, facial expression, body language... I dunno. I get satire and parody from reading Carl Hiaasen (for example). It just reads like some dumb mormon got lost on the internet and wandered in here. Perhaps I'm just not very bright, I dunno.

No! I know what it is! Carl Hiaasen's writing is obvious is funny because Skink is an exaggeration -- we've had Florida governors who are almost sort of like that but Skink is way over the top obvious corrupt. And I've read Hiaasen's journalistic work in the Miami Herald so I know who the real character is. I've seen Stephen Colbert's other work, so I knew his old Comedy Central character was an obvious parody. I understand that Tina Fey isn't really Sarah Palin -- and that wasn't even comedy writing; she just dressed the same and spoke SP's words!

The difference is I have no fucking idea who Honest TBM is and have seen no other writing or posts from that person so there's no way to discern parody or satire or whatever. (And I don't always read that closely because I have shit to do.)

Date: March 09, 2017 02:33PM

Thank you dogzilla I still can't figure him out after reading many more posts if hes playing a very poorly executed strong mormon character or if that is actually him and what he believes it's badly executed and not funny whatever it is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.