Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kita ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:30PM

thomas-monson.blogspot.com/.../gayle-smith-accuses-mormon-prophet-of-html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:58PM

Old news. Seems to not be given much credibility.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 04:08PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 05:52PM

>Gayle Smith, a resident of Lehi, Utah has had a very difficult life. In a startling revelation she told this reporter...

What reporter?

Oh, yeah, THIS reporter 1:

About Me
Paul A Drockton M.A.
One of a Handful in the world to score perfect scores on various, professionally administered, IQ Tests.

Is there such a thing as a "perfect score" on an IQ test?

Oh! THIS reporter 2:

http://moneyteachers.org/Pavlov.Music.htm

Loony tune. If your shoes are getting wet, and he tells you it is raining, then the truth would be that someone is piddling on your feet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 05:53PM by matt.

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 05:59PM

Puh..leeeze.

I have a lot of angst against authority, but some people aren't happy until they make shite up.

But then again anyone can lay accusations onto anyone at anytime. I've been accused of being shockingly handsome...but to that I plead guilty. ;)

Posted by: JBryan ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 06:41PM

I read the article in the blogspot you linked and remembered this part being posted many years ago on this board:

"She [Gayle Smith] claimed, 'He was like a wild animal' as he tore at her clothes. She resisted and he allegedly told her, 'Don't you know that I am going to be a big man in the (Mormon) Church one day?'

Apparently, she was able to break free from his grasp and exit the car. She started walking home and he followed her in his car, trying to apologize for what had taken place. Finally, she relented, and he apparently drove her home."

The poster never came back that I am aware of and did not use the name Gayle Smith but I always wondered if there were any truth to what was posted.

Gayle Smith doesn't have a track record as a very credible person with all of her false predictions about earthquakes and "end time" events:

http://www.greaterthings.com/NDE/GayleSmith/index.html

Yet I've always wondered about Monson and all his stories about "widows". The guy has always come across to me as a big fake even when I was a TBM.

Perhaps it's possible that Monson talked with Smith and judged her to be a very unstable woman and thought he might be able to have his way with her.

Just speculation but I would not put anything past the men who run the Mormon Church.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 06:51PM

Tearing at her clothes is not rape. And stories like these are suspect at best.

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 07:02PM

But the story is that he was tearing her clothes off AND raping her, if that clarifies anything.

I actually think it's plausible. We just don't have any way of knowing for certain now. If he did it and it's just her perceived credibility against his, the accusation will never be taken seriously. Just look how Mormons react to the truth about their founding prophet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 07:02PM by Troy.

Date: October 27, 2011 11:25AM

No. She claims that he "attempted" to rape her.

"Gayle Smith, a resident of Lehi, Utah has had a very difficult life. In a startling revelation she told this reporter that current Mormon Prophet, Thomas S Monson, attempted to rape her. The alleged event took place when Monson was a married man and the Bishop of Utah congregation."

Date: October 23, 2010 06:54PM

Also, the Reporter (sic) is a firm believer in the World Wide Communist and Rock and Roll Conspiracy.

Date: October 23, 2010 07:28PM

>Apparently, she was able to break free from his grasp and exit the car. She started walking home and he followed her in his car, trying to apologize for what had taken place. Finally, she relented, and he apparently drove her home.

"Gee, I guess I'll jump into the car of the man who just tried to rape me!"

Somehow, this doesn't ring true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 07:29PM by matt.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:31PM

I know a TBM woman who was forcibly confined by a man she was dating, although she didn't like his treatment, but still ended up marrying him, despite his poor treatment because she was pregnant and allowed him to coinvince her that they should still be together.

Why? she was had low self esteem, was confused and mixed up.

TSM could have convinced her that he was sorry, didn't mean it (which abusers are experts at).. "There, there ... Let me drive you home..."

Posted by: JackEXMormon ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 10:46AM

It happens. Not unheard of

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 09:22PM

J.K. Rowling tried to rape me AND she stole my ideas for Harry Potter.

/sarc tag

Posted by: believe it ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 06:26AM

There were 5 or 6 women who accused him many years ago.

He has a secret, dark background.

Posted by: JBryan ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 06:41AM

Can this be confirmed? Who are these women? I'm not saying that they are not real I'd just like to know why they don't come forward like the victims of Bishop Eddie Long did?

Posted by: too good to be true ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 01:33PM

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 06:38AM

with and aggressive, entitled asshole determined to get some and all the while telling himself that this is what "she really wants". If he had succeeded, the next day he would be claiming he was seduced and repenting of the sin of being lead astray for not being strong enough to resist her charms and playing the victim, and if she had claimed rape he would again be the victim of the bad girl trying to ruin his future. That’s how those things played out back in the day; remember the times 60 years ago. Remember he’s the victim here. And these guys have a knack for not doing this to the high profile girls in the community, they pick some "poor" girl from the wrong side of town.

Sounds like she did a good job of backing him down and not getting date raped, but even after all this time she’s still not creditable and his word is golden.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 11:47AM

This is a classic date rape. The story sounds entirely plausible to me, even to her getting back into the car with him. Many times women are conditioned to think that guys have no control over themselves, and/or it's their own fault that they were attacked. Both parties go their separate ways while a fog of collective amnesia descends.

Of course the accuser herself has very little credibility.

I was sitting a family dinner one time long ago. We were discussing a highly respected and prominent neighbor and family friend who had been arrested on a sexual assault charge. My mom piped in that she believed the accusation, as the same man had attempted to molest her many years prior. And then I piped in that the exact same thing had happened to me when I was a pre-adolescent! (the man had grabbed me in private for a very unfatherly smooch on the lips. I managed to disentangle myself and get away from him.) The men at the table were shocked and in disbelief. It was that hard to shake the pedestal that they had put this man on, even in the face of their own family member's accusations.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 07:59AM

I wasn't able to click on the link, so I googled it.

http://thomas-monson.blogspot.com/2010/09/gayle-smith-accuses-mormon-prophet-of.html

I'm with others who agree we can't prove it, yet Nibley's daugter was disbelieved when she wrote about her father molesting her. Joseph Smith threatened Sarah Pratt he'd give her a bad name if she told of his advances and we all know about the numerous priests and other public clergy. Well, he did or he didn't and the day will come when the truth will be known. Call it 'there is a God, or Karma or what goes around, sooner orlater comes around. Good or bad. I believe it.

Posted by: beeblequix ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 12:47PM

I don't believe the rape accusation for a second. I call "B.S".

Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 01:23PM

I love how people all think they're an expert on whether or not a rape accusaion is true.

No one can know the truth of it unless or until it's proven. But folks, that doesn't mean it didn't occur, or a rape attempt didn't occur.

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 11:48AM

Everybody know Monson was into older women. Widows preferably.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 12:25PM

Well, if they were war widows, they were actually fairly young.

When he says widows we automatically have this picture in mind that they were older, but not necessarily.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 01:54PM

I've heard he is a real jerk to be an office manager for. Lot's of turnover.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 01:56PM

A general authority in Utah can do anything they want as long at it's not out in the open. I bet Monson got his rape charge reduced to tail gating.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 12:05PM

It is also possible that she is unstable because she was sexually assaulted and then not believed or was afraid to tell and so experiences on-going trauma and difficulty with reality-checking. To have something like that happen and have it denied can make you crazy.

Her instability is not proof the sexual assault *did* happen, but it isn't proof that it didn't.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 12:13PM

We will never know
what we do know:
She is unstable
He is a liar

Date: October 27, 2011 12:20PM

Mia for the win!!

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 12:29PM

Yea, it would be nice if there was a way to check the story out, independently. Could it have happened? YES, maybe just like it was described. But we can't prove it, so we will have to move on to stuff we can prove about the guy. So far we have him embellishing a story in two general conference addresses. We know that. This stuff, wow, wish it could be proven...

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 01:26PM

It is easy to accuse. I am sure there are women who claim God raped them. Unless there is more corroborating evidence that can back up her story there is no point speculating. There are enough real problems with the church to focus on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.