Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon lurker ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 07:53PM

Ironically, in the days of young marriage and polygamy, it may have been less so....but now..

Mormon youth have many, many expectations laid on them, go on a mission, go to college, find a spouse and then FINALLY you can have your release. Weird things happen when you have a large proportion the yourger generation 'waiting' until their mid to late 20's. That just isn't natural! I've seen a lot of strange rule-bending and excuse making by these poor kids. Massages seem to be popular, as it gives an excuse to partially disrobe! I've heard of many of the boys getting to second base before first in these situations! Also, apparently anal sex is quite common among the 'waiting' masses.

I dunno, it just seemed kinda strange and rather humorous to me, any thoughts, stories?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 08:07PM

Mid to late 20s after college????? I thought the "unofficial" requirement was:

1. go on a mission at 19

2. return at 21 and go to YBU

3. find an 18 year old female fresh out of high school

4. Male gets married at age 21 within 3 months of returning from your mission (and after going on 1 date with your future wife)

5. Wife quits school, and has popped out 4 kids by age 25 when the husband graduates 6 years later from YBU, having to work 2 part time jobs to support the 6 in his family while going to school (and tithing)

If a female manages to graduate from YBU she is an old maid and past her prime. She had better get immediately married to any RM who proposes.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 08:32PM

A few years ago-actually about 6-I had 3 neices(nieces?) marry their boyfriends within months of meeting them. One had know the guy 2 weeks when he proposed. One of those "the spirit told me you were the one". He is so controlling now. All RM's and home only a short time. And they all have 2 or 3 kids with one's on the way. I really feel sorry for these poor girls that never have a life. From daddies house to hubbies house. And I can't comment on the sex stuff cuzz I don't have a clue!

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:03PM

Pardon my English teacher popping out!

I have over 30 cousins on one side of my family. Now I have over 50 cousins (including their spouses and kids) because rehire all getting married and popping out kids like a pez dispenser. Hell, I can't even invite all of them to my wedding this summer because there are too f-ing many of them.

The most depressing story IMO, mirrors the one you mention. My cousin came home from his mission, proposed to someone one month after they met, got married three months after they met, and were pregnant a month after their wedding. They've been married for four years now and have three kids. Their second kid was a surprise because they didn't know that they could get pregnant while breast feeding. (Really??!!?)

They live with my aunt and uncle. He's a manager at Wendy's finishing his Master's in counseling and she's a bitchy SAHM who hates life and is depressed and one of the most cranky people I've ever met. They barely get along. The only reason they stay together is because of the kids. Sad, sad, sad.

Posted by: georgedubya ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 09:03PM

My own parents also believe it's a great idea to get a celestial marriage in your early 20s. I guess they figure that anytime a Mormon marries another Mormon, the marriage is sure to last right?

For the love of my future wife and maybe kids (if I decide), I vow to leave the cult. But at 15, what much can I do? =/

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 09:06PM

Sexuality? What sexuality?....

Oh..that answers it. (and explains the upcoming divorce..)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 04:51PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 04:58PM

That used to mean "going to the temple" in the Annapolis Stake, and probably enjoyed wide use elsewhere. Going to a temple session at the DC temple and then eating in the cafeteria afterward was always referred to as "a movie and dinner," and we were strongly encouraged to do it. It begs a question: With this kind of "dating," how did Mormons have libido enough left over in order to make all those babies? Were the men just thinking of the relatively hot Eve, imagining her clad only in a fig leaf apron? We're the women thinking about the honey-voiced Michael Ballam? What gives?

Posted by: packleader5 ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 09:55PM

I'm not buying it.

Many years ago, I had a student teacher, who was LDS. At first, she seemed the perfect little Mormon girl, but one day at lunch, she and a friend were talking about how to "catch" the perfect LDS man---and their talk was not about being chaste and virginal. In fact, it was just the opposite---saying that since young men are so "physical" that it's easy to get involved and get yourself pregnant. They went on to say that's why Mormon weddings are so fast----

I'm not Mormon; never been Mormon. My husband is a ExMo---and laughed when I repeated what my student teacher had said. He then said, "Yeah, that's why my ex-wife did too."

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 01:50AM

"If a female manages to graduate from YBU she is an old maid and past her prime. She had better get immediately married to any RM who proposes."

That was me!

In the BYU dorms, I learned about the saying, "Be moral, go oral." I was so naive that I thought that meant French kissing.

My husband's brother was a big "catch" at BYU. Handsome, charming, blonde, tall, ambitious, athletic, from a good Mormon family, etc. No one could hook him, until my SIL finally "got" him, by getting pregnant. This marriage had a very tragic ending, twenty years later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 01:58AM by forestpal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.