Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 07:01AM

I wonder now if the church will actively try to keep teen boys from joining troops sponsored by other churches and organizations. Or will it be like Mormons and Girl Scouts, where the church tries to discourage you from enrolling in Girl Scouts. I mean, if the boys continued ins scouts, it would take valuable time away from their new indoctrination that will now fill the void.

I'm thinking that maybe BSA will miss the money from LDS scouting, but no one will miss Mormon Boy Scouts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 08:52AM

Good question.
I haven't got a clue.

And if the church says "no," it would be a sure sign of rebellion to have parents let their kids join non-church troops anyway :)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 09:08AM

It depends on the courage of the parents.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 09:46AM

This is addressed in their announcement.

Boy scouts on the path of achieving their Eagle scout will be encouraged to continue on their own.

Even though we all want it to be over the LGBT issue, I believe it's not.

It's over missionary numbers.

They want to use the ages between 14 - 18 to be focused on missionary prep so the boys can receive their mission calls.

I believe when we all get a good look at the new curriculum, this would be confirmed.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 10:12AM

You could well be right there.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 12:14PM

I'll bet it's both.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 10:40AM

It might be like Girl Scouts, the church doesn't participate in it , as far GS meetings run by the church, but some members let their daughters join outside troops.
This was before the gay issue though. Maybe they'll both become heavily discouraged from joining when everything dies down , concerning the gay issue

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 07:29PM

My guess is TSCC will try to keep boys so busy with the new indoctrination program they won't have time to do non-Mo Scout programs. YW is a lame indoctrination-fest geared at getting girls prepped for temple marriage to RMs and then mommyhood, so it's likely YM will focus on temple/mission/marriage (even less fun than whatever they were doing in Scouts). Do they really think 14-18 y/o boys will participate unless their parents force them?

Hopefully, two things will happen: the quality of Scouting will improve a lot once all the Mormon-run troops are gone, and boys will ditch the new indoctrination program for either non-Mormon scouting or something else that has nothing to do with the cult.

Posted by: Birddog ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 07:58PM

My 12 year old has participated in a non LDS scout troop since he started as a tiger cub in first grade. I Made it clear to anyone who dared ask that I thought LDS scouts sucked. Now he is a first class scout and light years ahead of his LDS counter parts.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 08:15PM

I sure would have liked to have in a REAL scout troop.

The end of LDS (lame dumb shit) B.S.A. has arrived [as some of us knew years ago it would].

No more BULL SHITTERS ANNONOMOUS for the Mormonites.

M@t

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 11:33PM

I think the attitude will be presented with a guilt ridden suggestion to "pray and fast". You will need to think hard about the decision to put your boy into anything that will detract from time spent at Church. That includes Boy Scouting. Leaders will leave it up the parents but will let them know that the Church's program should always come first before any other activity outside.

I predict most parents won't even think about Boy Scouts anymore. Mom's will be cheering hallelujah at not having to be "den mothers", and lazy ass dad's will just end up being Teachers Quorum advisors where they don't need to worry about some training program or scout paperwork to fill out.

All will be well in Zion, and the non-mormon troops will finally be rid of crappy LDS troops that still haven't learned how to properly run a basic flag ceremony or render first aid in a real emergency.

I believe this is the most "inspired" decision the old farts have come up with in the past 50 years in the church. I pray to ol joe smith that this is just phase one and that eventually the church will pull out of the BSA entirely in the next 5 years.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 03:40PM

Not wanting to fill out boring pointless forms for boys who dont give a single **** about it all on your day off does not qualify as being a "lazy ass"

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 08:42PM

Aaannnd..you're basically proving why the mormon church should never be part of scouting. Nobody is forcing you to accept the "calling", bro. Just say no and let people who want to do the job do it.

I've worked professionally and non professionally for the BSA in and out of LDS troops for almost 20 years and the prevelant attitude is almost always the same, most Mormons really don't want to do it yet they keep doing it half assed and with complaint because they are called to do it.

Don't be a volunteer if you're just gonna bitch. Man up and give those kids a reason for enjoying Scouts instead of whining about your day off. Seriously, I can't wait for Mormons to be out of scouting.

Posted by: Skybolt ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 11:46PM

The Morg is closing ranks again from the world. The plan is to hold on tightly to its young men so they will never be exposed to anything but the Morg thought process during their formative years. Why is the Morg starting to resemble ISIS?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 11:51PM

Our lds Scout troop was the only one in town.

At one point there were actually more non-Mormons than Mormons.

They couldn't bring themselves to address our scoutmaster as Brother Nelson so they would just call him Sir.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 01:35AM

I see it being treated like the Girl Scouts.

I once asked my mother if I could join girl scouts. It sounded like fun and they did interesting things.

She told me "absolutely NOT". The reason being was the church provided everything I would need in that department. I then asked why they didn't do the same for the boys. Why do the boys need Boy scouts? There was a lot of mumbling, and stuttering. Never a good answer.

I hated the whole read the scriptures get a crappy piece of plastic to glue on your bandalo. It all seemed like torture. No fun allowed. They tried to convince me that knitting slippers was as much fun as my brother going on a canoe trip on the Clackamas River. I'd done that trip with friends. I KNEW that knitting slippers was NOT even close to the same. I knitted one slipper. I gave it to my dog for a chew toy. Those things were damn ugly.Not only that, it was cheaper to go buy a pair of slippers.

Mormonism is so insanely stupid. Especially when it comes to women. I think they're doing away with anything that may keep the boys 14 year older and up from wanting anything to do with the crazy called mormonism.

The more they delete, the worse it is. Maybe there is a god.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2017 02:06AM by janis.

Posted by: lolly 18 ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 03:12PM

1) Those who wish to stay with scouting and continue advancing will still be able to be registered in LDS troops and that paid for by the ward.

2) There have always been young men who prefer a community troop. I've seen lifted eyebrows, but no official local leader discouragement for that choice.

3) For the overnights for Varsity and Venturing in a non-LDS troop, I'm sure that would be discouraged (though I think the BSA requires separate sleeping arrangements, so one can argue that is not materially different from youth conference, except in the frequency.

Posted by: HikergrlAZ ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 03:34PM

One big difference is that non-lds troops camp Saturday to Sunday and often hold a simple church service. This will put a burden on LDS scouts who need to be picked-up on-site Saturday night. Lots of camping nights are required to earn the camping merit badge which is required for Eagle.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 09:36PM

Back when I was 12, living on the East Coast, I went with a non-Mormon school buddy to his Scout meeting. It was really cool and I wanted to be in his troop. To give my father/high councilman credit, he didn't immediately say "No" and explain the entangled relationship between the priesthood and the church's version of Scouting. Instead, he went to another meeting of my friend's troop and quietly observed. I thought there was a chance for me. And it was the first time Dad had gotten personally involved in any way in anything I did that wasn't church related. Of course he eventually said "No" but his reason was that it wouldn't look good for someone in his leadership position. Because, yeah, his image was what was important. A couple of years later he was made bishop. My complaints about how crappy and pointless our Scout meetings were fell on deaf ears.

Date: May 15, 2017 03:28PM

I think the LDS church is going to end up with a lot more Eagles who earn their rank by age 13/14 making Mormon Eagle scouts a bigger joke. The ones that continue on past 13 will probably be encouraged to do so as a Lone Scout or some variation of it. I'm sure they will be told NOT to join other church sponsored troops.

Date: May 15, 2017 03:36PM

I wonder if they will re-structure at a stake level for those kids wanting to continue on past age 13.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 03:43PM

I wouldnt have done scouting at all had this decision been made years ago. I even got my eagle rank, but I hated doing scouting and my parents only had me doing it because it was part of church life. Without the church aspect many mormon parents probably wont push their kids into scouting. Only the kids and parents who already have a separately established, non-church related, interest in Boy Scouts will continue to bother with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 03:44PM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 03:52PM

As I've said before, if LDS boys join a non-LDS troop and try to earn the Eagle rank, they're going to find that it's much harder to earn outside of the cult. I think they're going to treat it like Girl Scouts, strongly discourage participation and keep them too busy with the cult's program so they don't have time to even consider it.

I think there are plenty of boys who only do Scouts because it's been a part of the church, and their parents forced them to participate and even earn the rank of Eagle. It's almost as if Eagle Scout was an unofficial penishood rank since males have been expected to get that before becoming an "elder."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.