Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Former missionary ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 04:01PM

I was a missionary in the Zurich Switzerland mission back in the 80s. The mission home was located on Pilatusstrasse, one of the most prestigious and sought after locations in Zurich. The mission home was three stories, had an elevator and was very spacious and elegant. The neighborhood was like Beverley Hills. I was just wondering if the Mormon church still owns the property and how it's being used now that the Zurich mission was shut down in 2012. Does anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 10:50AM

It has a Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/SwitzerlandZurichMission/

It appears to still be open:

Switzerland Zurich Mission
January 27, 2013 · ·

When was this opened?
January 26, 2013
On 18 September 1960, the Swiss-Austrian Mission was dissolved and the Swiss Mission (now the Switzerland Zurich Mission) and Austrian missions were formed. The founding of the Swiss Stake (now the Zurich Switzerland Stake), the first in Switzerland, came on 27 October 1961. Swiss Mission headquarters were moved from Basel to Zurich on 21 December 1962."

There's a comment feature there and a message one likewise. You could send the mission home that question and hear back directly. :)

Switzerland is a beautiful country. There was a time I aspired to live there as a graduate student in Bern, Geneva or Lausanne. Now if I get to visit before I die I'll be doing good. :)

Date: May 14, 2017 01:18PM

Amyjo, there is no longer a Zurich Switzerland mission as foreign missionaries (non-EU citizens) are no longer permitted to have worker visas. Since a mission president is no longer needed in Zurich, I'm wondering what the Mormon church is doing with that enormous building, located in prime real estate.

It is my understanding that there are so few missionaries with EU visas, that Switzerland has been incorporated into one of the other european mission, but there are few missionaries still proselytizing in Zurich.

The Facebook post is dated 2013 - about the time it would have been shut down after the 2012 missionary ban started.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 11:54AM

I lived in Switzerland from '96 to '98. There were a couple of mishies who pestered people all the time. I think their apartment must have been in my village, because I saw them on the bus and streetcar all the time. They spoke horrible French. The locals were very wary of them.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 12:00PM

You were in the southern part then?

Zurich is German speaking. Not that I'm fluent or speak either German or French. I studied German in college. Was drawn to Lausanne and Geneva because of the more moderate climate from Zurich, and the programs I was interested in were in English there.

Sounds as though missionaries get a bad rap wherever they go. I feel sorry for them. Most of them are very young, almost kids. Today younger than before. They leave for their missions now at 18. It used to be 19.

Date: May 14, 2017 01:29PM

There was also a Geneva mission, so the missionaries would have spoken French in that location, possibly where nomonomo was living when she encountered the missionaries.

The Swiss German language incorporates many French words. For example, in Zurich the Swiss will say mercie instead of danke.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 01:37PM

I lived in Neuchatel.

I wasn't too hard on the mishies. I did refuse to call them "Elder" though. They were usually pleased to have a chance to speak English (most locals spoke it, but wouldn't speak to the mishies).

Date: May 14, 2017 01:51PM

Thank you for being nice to the missionaries although they are annoying. I was a missionary in Zurich back in the 80s. Although I loved living in Switzerland, the missionary work was grueling, depressing, endless, discouraging, and more... About ninety percent of my time was spent knocking on doors. At the time I thought I was "serving the Lord," but now I realize that it was a colossal waste of my time and young life.

Posted by: windyway ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 04:19PM

We were in the Dielsdorf ward/branch for three years until five years ago, right outside Zurich.

Now we live on the other side of the French border...you can immediately tell whe you cross into Switzerland. France is a nice country but the Swiss are OCD in comparison about just about everything. Don't get me wrong, I love the country...it is a bit intimidating, though.

We were nice to the missionaries, but we were still TBM at the time, too.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 07:01AM

My feelings exactly about the Swiss.

Posted by: Zurich1 ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 04:49PM

I was a missionary in Zurich in the early 80's as well. Hurst was the MP and I loved traveling all over that beautiful country. We could go anywhere in the mission on p-day as long as we were back by 10 pm. We cut it too close one time and missed the train. We stayed in a youth hostel the night and nobody ever found out!

Date: May 14, 2017 05:25PM

Hurst was also my MP! I loved the 24 hour p-days and excursions to the alps. Good for you for staying in a youth hostile overnight. I wish I'd done something like that. The worst thing I did was ride a cow.

I would love to live in Zurich as a "normal" person and not a missionary.

It's good to know that someone from the "great" Zurich Switzerland mission is posting on this site. Yay!

Posted by: Anonytoday ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 05:38AM

Pilatusstrasse indeed is one of, if not the, most desirable streets in Zurich. It's in Kreis 8032. Very beautiful. Overlooks the lake.

I lived in Zurich for two years (but, alas, not in 8032). I lived in 8002. Still very nice -- though some would say the "wrong" side of the lake. The area is home to many insurance and brokerage companies. Also many Orthodox Jews live in 8002. The Sihl City mall is nearby and convenient. It's also close to Paradeplatz.

The LDS mission was at Pilatusstrasse 11. When I google that address the current occupant seems to be Schlibi Electronics, so perhaps the church leases it or has sold it. I never saw LDS missionaries when I lived in Zurich (which was four years ago).

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 07:04AM

Switzerland is one of at least 4 European countries that no longer have a mission (Ireland, Austria, Netherlands, and Switzerland, are what I can think of). Zurich falls under that fairly new "German Speaking Alpine Mission," but since the odd regulation made by the Swiss vis-à-vis foreign missionaries, I don't know how they make it work today.

Posted by: Swissie ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 07:43PM

Is this a picture of the former Mission home? It's the address given above.

https://www.staehlis.com/unser-zuhause/bis-juni-2010/

Date: May 19, 2017 09:53PM

No, the house in the link is located in Reinach (Canton Basel). Same street address but wrong town. The mission home in Zurich is also located at Pilatusstrasse 11.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 03:22PM

I occasionally fly to Zurich to do business in South West Germany. However, I've never looked around the city. If I were to have an extra day to spend, what would I go see?

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 12:48AM

OP, or any posters here, if you spent time in Glarus you might have been my roommate when you got back and started studying engineering. I'm always hopeful that people in my life have left the cult.

Date: May 22, 2017 03:11PM

Unfortunately I wasn't your roommate but I did travel through Glarus on my way to Braunwald, a beautiful village in the alps. Glarus is a beautiful area, as is most of Switzerland. I loved living there but wish I'd been a student or employee and not a missionary.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.