Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 03:45PM

To assist you in your family ancestry research? I ordered mine for Mother's Day.

Genealogy for LDS purposes is to foster a scam in perpetuity.

But for understanding ancestral lineage and where you came from it can be a treasure trove.

Someone recently shared with me that having your DNA sample tested does not necessarily accurately reflect your lineage on the other hand. He knew for example he descended from Native American lineage. There was not one trace of that in his DNA testing he had done.

Haplogroups will not always show with 100% accuracy who your ancestors are. It will only show what percentage of their genes you inherited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 03:47PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 03:51PM

My TBM mom got in on an Ancestry DNA "sale," and got three for my brother, myself, and my sister. I just sent mine off last week, won't have the results for a bit.

It's not, at least for me, for "family ancestry research."
And yeah, the results aren't nearly as "clear-cut" as the companies doing them would like you to believe.

For me, it's just for grins. I expect, from my mormon family's extensive "family history" research to not be too surprised by the results. We'll see.

Date: May 15, 2017 04:10PM

Oh that's awesome. :)

I doubt I could get my kids interested. They're overseas anyway. It's all on me, and now or never. :)

There was a Mother's Day sale for 23 and Me, so I went with that one. They both have some differences, and their own pros and cons.

Can always do Ancestry another time to compare my results with when I'm feeling so inclined.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 04:22PM

I got mine at 23andme.
Turns out I am 2.8% Neanderthal, which is low for a Eurasian who are on average 2.9% Neanderthal.
Also, to my surprise, I am 4%Native American.
I also have 160 new relatives I never knew about, spread out all over the planet.

Date: May 15, 2017 04:38PM

Now that is very interesting.

So you've learned you're part Native American Indian, and found a world of relatives all because of a DNA test. I find that fascinating!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 04:25PM

I would be curious if anyone has a preference for one or another. Also, if I trace my DNA (as a female,) will I only see certain lines and not others? Is there any one test that can pick up Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry, or can they all do it?

Date: May 15, 2017 04:36PM

For women it's the mitochondrial line that's traceable (I think.)

Ashkenazi should be able to show up on either Ancestry or 23&me, if they're accurate.

Say were my brothers to have their DNA tested the results would favor our father's side. Mine will favor my mother's side.

The Ashkenazi is traced through the mitochondrial source. There were four women 2,000 years ago from the Middle East who migrated to Europe from whence app 40% maybe more of European Jewry descended from.

Date: May 15, 2017 04:44PM

Well, sort of.

Any person has DNA from both mother and father, so their full DNA can be "traceable" from both sides.

Mitochondrial DNA is *only* passed from the mother, so checking any person's MtDNA (male or female) will only reveal matrilineal ancestry. My MtDNA (as a male) traces through my mother, and her mother, and her mother, etc. My father's mother and her mother, etc., haven't contributed anything to my MtDNA, but they *did* contribute to my total DNA. It's the same for women.

So it's not that a female's DNA "favors" the mother's side and a male's DNA "favors" the father's side. Not the case. All children -- male and female -- of a particular woman will ONLY have her MtDNA. But the rest of their genome will be a mix of mother and father.

Date: May 15, 2017 05:10PM

There are some differences, however nuanced. From 23 and Me, the following:

"Do men and women receive different ancestry information from 23andMe?
23andMe uses the same genotyping technology for both women and men, and everyone receives information based on the DNA they inherited from both parents. Ancestry-related features, such as the Ancestry Composition report and the DNA Relatives tool, include DNA you inherited from recent ancestors on both sides of your family, and these results are available to both women and men.

The paternal assignment in the Haplogroups report, however, uses DNA that is only inherited by males. Since this haplogroup assignment is traced through the Y-chromosome DNA, which women do not inherit, the assignment is only available for males....

Frequently Asked Questions

I am female, will I receive paternal information?
Yes, features such as the Ancestry Composition report and the DNA Relatives tool will include your recent paternal ancestry. However, unless a parent is genotyped, we will not be able to differentiate the maternal and paternal contributions to your recent ancestry. Keep in mind that women will not receive a Y-chromosome (paternal) haplogroup since it is determined by the Y chromosome, which women do not inherit. If your father, brother, or paternal uncle is genotyped, you will be able to infer a paternal haplogroup from his assignment.

I am female, where can I find my paternal haplogroup?
Women will not directly receive a Y-chromosome (paternal) haplogroup assignment in the Haplogroups report, since it is determined by the Y chromosome which women do not have. If your father, brother, or paternal uncle is genotyped, you will be able to infer a paternal haplogroup assignment from his assignment.

I am female, can I use my son's haplogroup to find out about my father?
Your son inherited his Y chromosome from his father, not from your father, so his paternal haplogroup assignment won't provide any information about your paternal lineage or your father's haplogroup. However, if your brother or paternal uncle used the 23andMe Personal Genetic Service, you would be able to infer your father’s haplogroup assignment from theirs."

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/202908000-Do-men-and-women-receive-different-ancestry-information-from-23andMe-

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 04:50PM

Dopes this mean siblings would have the same dna?

Date: May 15, 2017 05:02PM

Siblings may not share the same haplogroups. Say the man I met last week whose grandfather was 100% Native American Indian but he had none in his DNA test. One of his siblings might have, even though he has nada.

It depends on what traits come through the set of genes between both sides of the family tree, of the billions of possibilities.

Posted by: kak75 aka kak57 ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 05:40PM

Yes, that could happen where one child got 0% of a certain trait and another child got the 100% showing up.

Chances are that it would be more of a variance of how much you got.

For instance, my father has 21% of his DNA as Eastern European (Ancestry.com). In contrast, only 7% of mine is Eastern European (Ancestry.com). My brother also had the Ancestry.com test and I will ask him what % of his is Eastern European (he did tell me what he had but I've forgotten already.)

Posted by: kak75 aka kak57 ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 05:33PM

Amyjo,

I tried to answer on your thread a few days ago about my DNA test but apparently my reply would not take hold and show up for some reason. My sole DNA test so far is with Ancestry.com.

Hope this takes.

Date: May 15, 2017 06:21PM

Thanks kak75. I read that on the other thread. It helped me in comparing which one/s to go with. I'll probably do Ancestry but will wait awhile due to cost. Maybe wait for the next Mother Day's sale to come along. :)

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 05:34PM

My haplogroup just says that it's an uncommon branch, it has low frequencies, both in Europe and the Near East.
It doesn't really elaborate, so does that mean it's ancient and just concerns my mother's side?

Date: May 15, 2017 06:23PM

Well that didn't really tell you very much.

Which DNA test did you go with if you don't mind me asking?

If you were to try another one you may find a quite different set of results.

Date: May 15, 2017 06:29PM

It was FTDNA . I can't find a haplogroup with my ancestryDNA; it must be on a link. FT DNA, it's on the front page.

Date: May 15, 2017 06:34PM

Did you do the Family Finder or the mtDNA test? The latter being considerably more expensive than the former.

I did the least expensive test for 23 and me. I wonder if it's comparable to FTDNA? I imagine they're similar.

Date: May 15, 2017 07:34PM

I did both, around Christmas. They had a lot of specials. I just don't understand everything. Ancestry goes into more detail, as far as areas of Europe. FTDNA does have more other things on it.
Ancestry is easier to read. I have to look up Iberia, and South Caucasus. This one says Europe and Central Europe, but not Eastern Europe
,like the Ancestry one does( well, if you count 2%)
I have more Middle Eastern than ancestry though.
A lot of them are the scary countries.
Ancestry has them too though
I knew the German, Dutch, British, Austria, Greece, Turkish, but Dpain snd Portugal were scary, then Syria, Iraq, Iran , Palestine and others .

Date: May 15, 2017 07:57PM

If you have Middle Eastern and Spanish Portuguese there's a chance there could be some Jewish DNA in there through the Middle Eastern or Sephardic (Spanish) strain.

The Ashkenazi is one that's measured on ancestry tests. But by geographic location yours is where it all began.

My Jewish ancestry comes through Germany. So will be interesting to see whether I have any trace DNA through that side of my tree. Most of my ancestry is European and United Kingdom - that I know of.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 06:50PM

I was thinking about it but then I found my birth family (mother's side) through my own detective work and that of a cousin. Might look further for my birth father but he and his family are a bit of an enigma. Because I'm a cheap bastard I don't know that I'd good pay money for a DNA test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 06:52PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: May 15, 2017 06:55PM

Oh that would be wonderful if you could, LR.

I just found this article for Mother's Day about a birth son who found his birth mom after 30 years of trying, from a DNA test.

The DNA test led him to an aunt that he was able to connect with to finally meet his mom. She'd given him up at age 16 - left him in a box after giving birth at home. Her parents didn't know she was pregnant, she hadn't told anyone out of fear.

She left him on the steps of a nursing home! He was adopted by a loving family who encouraged him to look for his birth family. He couldn't find a thing to trace where he came from until he ran his DNA.

If you do yours, there's a good possibility it could lead you to your birth father, or at least that side of your family. :)

http://www.today.com/video/mother-and-son-reunite-after-nearly-30-years-thanks-to-dna-test-943523907986

Date: May 15, 2017 07:55PM

Thanks Amyjo. My journey has been remarkable. I am thinking, based on what I have learned, that my birth father may have never married or fathered children after me. There is a single grave in a town west of Lethbridge with a mother and her two son's remains. Going to do some more research on them.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 08:20PM

The TLC show "Long Lost Family" (which reunites adoptees with their birth parents) often uses DNA testing to good advantage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 08:20PM by summer.

Date: May 15, 2017 11:20PM

Love that show. After finding my birth family I learned my family is from Cornwall/Devin in England (I should be talking like Robert Newton as Long John Silver). I always thought I was Irish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 12:21AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Salt Lake Lurker ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 08:18PM

I did mine on Ancestry. It was really interesting.

90% Middle East
9% Africa North
1% Caucasus

Date: May 15, 2017 09:22PM

That is really interesting.

Add to that you're right in the heart of Salt Lake City. And Oya vey!

My German Jewish great & gggrandmothers migrated to Salt Lake City more than 100 years ago. I can't help but think they were fish out of water if not for the already Jewish community when they arrived (with my great uncle.)

:)

Posted by: Salt Lake Lurker ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 10:17PM

Yeah...I've always felt like the strangest Mormon in town. My parents are both from Iraq and ended up in California. I grew up in southern California and converted to Mormonism there. Which could've been really bad, but my parents were both supportive and didn't even seem to mind that much, although my dad was concerned that I was joining a cult. He'd researched Mormonism a little bit and was worried, but I ignored him. To be honest, my parents always been really liberal (which lead to a lot of problems with extended family) and didn't take religion too seriously.

And so I converted and ended up moving to Utah to start a new life at BYU and go to the temple and...not even a year after conversion, I lost my faith, mostly due to historical reasons.

It's still sad. I felt like this church was the one for me after my friend introduced me.

I didn't even know there was a Jewish community here that long ago. That's cool. I wonder if there was a lot of persecution.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 09:42PM

Yeah, I bought it as a birthday present to myself a few years. It's really cool.

The only frustration is that being female, I only have "X" chromosomes, but it only gives me my mother's line.

If I want my father's line, then I have to try and get him to do it.

Date: May 15, 2017 10:10PM

That's nice Greyfort. Were you surprised with your findings? Or were they what you'd have expected?

I'd like to get my dad's DNA but he's been gone for quite some time now. My brothers are distant and we don't communicate very often. One is an avid genealogist and a fanatic Mormon. Because of his fanaticism I maintain my distance.

I'm hoping when the matches come back there'll be a y-match. If not, I can still attempt to inquire of my brothers if they haven't died first.

Date: May 15, 2017 11:06PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's nice Greyfort. Were you surprised with your
> findings? Or were they what you'd have expected?

I didn't get to see the Native American DNA on my Mom's Dad's side. It came up mostly Irish and English. There is some Norwegian in there. Her grandmother's name goes back to the Vikings, so that's probably what that is.

There was a smidgen of German and French. I was a higher amount of Neanderthal than average, which is cool.

The big surprise was a bit of Sub-Saharan African. I'd really like to know what that is. It would be within the last 300 years or so and I know nothing about this.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 10:05PM

My wife and I had ours done by Ancestry for family history, unrelated to Mormonism's ends.

We thought it was pretty cool.

Date: May 15, 2017 10:11PM

Awesome. I'm looking forward to mine too. :)

Posted by: Hockey Rat CE ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 11:20PM

So, these test only show Ashkenazi? My ancestry DNA showed Poland, Romania, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Hungary and Israel.
My FTDNA only said European , western and central.
I got 16 .% European Jewish on my ancestry. com, but my mom who tested got only 5 % . She didn't have any of the Eastern European countries, but mine did.
My father was adapted, but died 2 years ago, before these DNA test became popular.
We just knew his natural mother had s German surname. We always assumed he was German, Now I know that having a German name ( south German) doesn't mean German blood, a lot of Jewish people had German names also,
My father always wanted to know about his birth parents. He just had their surnames. His records are sealed , but expire in 13 years, a long time still for us.
I wish I had a brother , so he could be tested,
What if both my parents have Jewish blood, my mother being Greek-Turkish, Dutch , probably Sephardic, who is 5.% Jewish, and me, who tested 16% European Jewish, probably Ashenazi,would I be considered Ashkenazi or Sephardic?
I know Judaism goes by the mother, but her being Sephardic ( if that's the case)by 5 %, and my father being 16% ,( well, me, )probably from his side , so would I be Sephardic then, even if I had more Ashkenazi blood?

Date: May 16, 2017 06:17PM

Hockey Rat CE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, these test only show Ashkenazi? My ancestry
> DNA showed Poland, Romania, Russia, Ukraine,
> Belarus, Hungary and Israel.

I'm not really sure, HockeyRat. I'm aware that the Ashkenazi does show up through the matrilineal side because it's mitochondrial; I'm not sure about other Jewish DNA strains.

> My FTDNA only said European , western and
> central.
> I got 16 .% European Jewish on my ancestry. com,
> but my mom who tested got only 5 % . She didn't
> have any of the Eastern European countries, but
> mine did.

Any European Jewish ancestry to my understanding is Ashkenazi. The Sephardic would come from Portugal or Spain.

> My father was adapted, but died 2 years ago,
> before these DNA test became popular.
> We just knew his natural mother had s German
> surname. We always assumed he was German, Now I
> know that having a German name ( south German)
> doesn't mean German blood, a lot of Jewish people
> had German names also,
> My father always wanted to know about his birth
> parents. He just had their surnames. His records
> are sealed , but expire in 13 years, a long time
> still for us.

It is/was possible to be both German and Jewish. That's because to be Jewish is not a bloodline per se, nor is it an ethnicity (or country of origin.) It is a religious identification.

> I wish I had a brother , so he could be tested,
> What if both my parents have Jewish blood, my
> mother being Greek-Turkish, Dutch , probably
> Sephardic, who is 5.% Jewish, and me, who tested
> 16% European Jewish, probably Ashenazi,would I be
> considered Ashkenazi or Sephardic?

It sounds plausible you could have both based on your heritage. I should ask my brothers if they've been tested. We barely speak to each other, but do occasionally. I'd like to say we were closer, it seems the church (and their Mormon American Princess wives) have drove deep wedges between them and our side of the family.

> I know Judaism goes by the mother, but her being
> Sephardic ( if that's the case)by 5 %, and my
> father being 16% ,( well, me, )probably from
> his side , so would I be Sephardic then, even if I
> had more Ashkenazi blood?

Jewish can also be through the Father - but for purposes of Aliyah (immigration to Israel,) unless you are of matrilineal descent it becomes a roadblock if one only is descended through a father. Reform Judaism recognizes both patrilineal and matrilineal. It's Halacha Law overseen by the Orthodox who controls the Knesset that determines someone's Jewishness if not raised Jewish.

As for being a mixture of Ashkenazi and Sephardic and wondering which is stronger, it won't really make any difference in the overall scheme if you're Jewish. You are very likely Jewish from both sides of your parentage. Jewish is Jewish. The differences would be more cultural and ethnic, but not a bloodline. Religious practices are somewhat different between Sephardic traditions vs. Ashkenazi. Bottom line is though a Jew belongs to the same tribe no matter where you are on the planet. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 06:24PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 11:02PM

No. I think it's all a scam anyway.I am 100 percent American. Not Danish,Swedish, Irish .That is my ancestry. I am American . That simple .Do I really give a shit if gggg gramma was born in Denmark. NO.

Date: May 15, 2017 11:13PM

If I could be more like you it would sure save me a bucket of money.

Not that it's all that expensive. But I've been putting off doing my DNA due to the cost. This year I decided I am finally going to do it. The Mother's Day special sealed the deal. :)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 11:10PM

I did it half hoping something juicy and embarrassing (to the rest of the family) would show up, like some "cursed blood." But no surprises. Just the expected Anglo-Nordic stew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 11:11PM by Stray Mutt.

Date: May 15, 2017 11:12PM

Well at least you weren't shocked or surprised by your findings.

I'm really curious to know how mine will turn out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 11:17PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: lurkinghere ( )
Date: May 16, 2017 12:17AM

The 3 types of DNA sometimes makes things confusing. Y-DNA and mitochondrial DNA make up less than 1% of your genome. The X-chromosome adds a few more %. The rest is called autosomal DNA and that is the DNA that goes through Random Recombination.

A good explanation about these can be found at phillipsproject.com. Ignore everything else (unless your surname is Phillips) and just click on DNAFAQs. It's very well explained.

AmyJo: CeCe Moore, a genetic genealogist writes about successes in reuniting Jewish families. google PBS.org/ashkenazi-jewish-dna.

Note: finding family of the last 300years or so is done through autosomal, not mtDNA, haplogroups. The mtDNA is ancient and although interesting for tracing migrations, it is ancient, not recent. It could be used to disqualify a woman as the mother but not to confirm.

Also, if you are interested, after you get your genome from whichever service you use, go to promethase.com and for 5 bucks you can save a comprehensive report on your inherited health related alleles.

Love this site and all you posters.

Date: May 17, 2017 10:57PM

Thank you very kindly for this helpful information.

I've been invited to a Jewish seminar on genealogy in the near future. This may come in useful.

Genealogy can get very confusing very fast. Especially when you start to discover overlaps between branches on the family tree. The further back you go, the more likely this is to occur.

The closest relation to you when an overlap occurs with an ancestor is the one you use in counting the generations between yourself and that family. Example: my parents are distant cousins through the same line (they didn't know it, I only discovered it several years ago.)

Dad's side was 18 generations preceding to my great grandmother. And mom's was 13 generations leading to the same great grandmother. Two of her daughters were my parents great ancestors, respectively. There's very likely more overlaps as well. That's the only one I've discovered thus far. It's through those sisters and their parents I'm related to George Washington. One of their brothers was his great grandfather times 10 (app.) George is cousins of nearly all the US presidents down to Obama. There's lots of overlap when one gets back that far connecting them to each other.

Posted by: QuestionEverything2 ( )
Date: May 16, 2017 01:10AM

I would seriously consider the potential consequences of having DNA testing. This information can also be genetically tested without you knowing and without your permission. Considering the unstable health insurance situation, genetic testing could allow you to be discriminated against in the future based upon your potential of developing certain diseases, etc.

And you can bet this information is being gathered and sold to health insurers for a profit, in addition to the DNA databases being sold to whomever will pay for them.

It's wise in these days of privacy violation and surveillance
to reveal as little of ourselves as possible. We don't know how things like these could be used against us in the future.

Date: May 16, 2017 04:56PM

I read an article about that last week. It does give one pause for concern. The DNA data bases are stored and shared.

Considering how very little is really private anymore with our personal information, it raises all sorts of ethical and moral dilemmas.

Thanks for sharing that very important cause for concern.

Date: May 16, 2017 05:50PM

Just FYI, Ancestry has an "opt-in" that allows (supposedly) anonymous use of your DNA in research projects, additional testing, statistical compilations, etc.
If you don't "opt-in," (supposedly) the only way anybody can get access to your DNA is with a court order.
And if you do "opt-in," the only way anyone can get the name that goes with your DNA is with a court order.

And insurance companies can't get court orders to decide whether to cover you or not, or how much to charge you.

Of course, that all assumes everybody involved will follow the law and the contract...

I'm not that worried. My health insurer already has my DNA. :)

Date: May 16, 2017 04:14PM

My test showed me to have no genetic predisposition for the big diseases. That was good to know.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 16, 2017 04:36PM

I just want to know how neanderthal I am.

Posted by: Letting go ( )
Date: May 16, 2017 07:28PM

Last year I ordered 23andme for myself and our two sons, they are both adopted and I thought it would help with identity as well as provide medical information.

For myself, I found it very interesting. All of my known genealogy is Danish with one Swedish great-grandfather, so I was mildly surprised to find a little diversity: Primarily Northern European and 30+ percent Scandinavian, last 150 years, but also including France, Germany, Sardinia and Northern Africa (at least one ancestor from the 1600s 100%from Africa...yea!), as well as Neanderthal. I am interested also in the Health issues, someone earlier mentioned Promethease. Enlis is another good source for much more detailed info for $39. Also, we have little info on my Paternal Grandfather, so I'm hoping to tease out some info on that issue as well.

Our oldest red-haired son has always thought he is Irish and yep, he was right! It was worth the price of admission just for that. He was thrilled! Over time I think he will appreciate all of the health and other info provided.\

Our second son's came back with NO DNA Relatives! He came to me and said, "So am I superman or what?" Broke my heart, though over time they have sent some relatives.

Overall, I am happy with my choice to have the testing done.
So far as the conspiracy theories and worries about how it will be used: I think it's a great way to contribute to our knowledge of the human race and medical research as well. It contributes to our sense of community with the whole earth and helps to build bridges in families and around the world. Obviously, I'm all in!

LG

Posted by: Letting Go ( )
Date: May 16, 2017 07:31PM

Last year I ordered 23andme for myself and our two sons, they are both adopted and I thought it would help with identity as well as provide medical information.

For myself, I found it very interesting. All of my known genealogy is Danish with one Swedish great-grandfather, so I was mildly surprised to find a little diversity: Primarily Northern European but also including France, Germany, Sardinia and Northern Africa (at least one ancestor from the 1600s 100%from Africa...yea!), as well as Neanderthal. I am interested also in the Health issues, someone earlier mentioned Promethease. Enlis is another good source for much more detailed info for $39. Also, we have little info on my Paternal Grandfather, so I'm hoping to tease out some info on that issue as well.

Our oldest red-haired son has always thought he is Irish and yep, he was right! It was worth the price of admission just for that. Over time I think he will appreciate all of the other info provided.\

Our second son's came back with NO DNA Relatives! He came to me and said, "So am I superman or what?" Broke my heart, though over time they have sent some relatives.

Overall, I am happy with my choice to have the testing done.
So far as the conspiracy theories and worries about how it will be used. I think it's a great way to contribute to our knowledge of the human race and medical research as well. It contributes to our sense of community with the whole earth and helps to build bridges in families and around the world. Obviously, I'm all in!

LG

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 17, 2017 03:20PM

Two of us in our family had our DNA done at ancestry dot com.
This turned out to be fortuitous as an adopted child from our family,found me and I was able to connect her to her mother.
It's a great story.

Some of doesn't make much sense as I apparently have links to a couple dozen countries. I look English, Scottish, Irish, predominately, with most of the relatives on two sides coming from those areas for six to 10 generations. However, the other links must come from prior to that.

I found relatives on Facebook that I didn't know existed. It's been fun getting acquainted.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: May 17, 2017 06:06PM

Wife and I both have higher than ave percent neanderthal! It made our day. Not sure how the church weasels out on this one and Adam and Eve. My partiarical blessing says I am from Ephriam etc... and a son of Adam.

Apparently, Adam was banging neanderthals (according to the cult he was in Eden a long time - maybe he was sneaking out at night - atta boy Adam).

Also, where do we get neanderthal ancestry names?

Posted by: lurkinghere ( )
Date: May 17, 2017 09:32PM

LOL. What makes you think it wasn't Eve sneaking around? She seems to have been the more devious one.

Date: May 17, 2017 06:37PM

If I AM of Jewish blood, wouldn't I be from the tribe of Judah, not Ephraim? If the Patriarch had the gift, for real, wouldn't he know? He'd get other people correct too. Now that might convince some people

Date: May 17, 2017 06:48PM

I've wondered that too.

Being Jewish on my mum's side, the patriarch who blessed me did not know this (neither did I,) when my blessing was given to me at age 12.

I'm born of the tribe of Ephraim, like you, according to his blessing.

Then he went into a depiction of how Joseph, Ephraim's father, was sold into slavery because of his jealous brothers, and how if I live by faith that I would be blessed like Joseph was.

I don't really see being sold into slavery as a blessing, or being cast into prison for 7 years as one either. I do see Joseph as someone who weathered great afflictions and yet came through the other side, and was used as an instrument for peace by God himself, to save his people.

I love the story of Joseph and the coat of many colors. It is one of incredible faith and fortitude.

As for Ephraim v. Manassah or Judah, etc. It's all mumbo jumbo. :)

Date: May 17, 2017 09:45PM

In Judaism the most hallowed surnames to be descended from are the Levis and the Cohens.

Levis are from the tribe of Levi, a descendant of Jacob.

While the Cohens are descended from the priestly Aaronic tribe descending directly from the patriarchal line of Aaron, known as the kohanim.

Date: May 17, 2017 11:26PM

well, just hope your brothers don't sell you into slavery, well not literally that anymore, but something as bad, just kidding though. I liked that story too. I don't like how his brothers tricked their father into thinking he was killed.
I also liked the story on how poor Jacob was tricked into marrying Leah and had to be a slave for 7 more years to get Rachel.

Date: May 18, 2017 10:24AM

One TBM bro tried to steal my children when they were babies during a time he and his wife were having fertility issues.

I disowned him then, and again years later for coming between me and one of my then adult children he conspired to alienate from me.

There's something cynically wrong with a zealot who uses religion to hurt family members.

My TBM brothers wives are extremely insecure around other women. When they married my bros they squirreled them away to their side of the family and became very possessive of them. Their children were always kept at an arms distance from our then inactive parents. Always favoring their families over ours. And their cousins.

I've seen how cultish and clannish the church operates by observing how manipulative and conniving they have been, as a microcosm of the church. They haven't changed over time. If anything, they've become more clannish and fearful than early in their marriages. One's father left her mother when she was a teen for another woman from church. I believe that's where her deep insecurity stems from. The other has always been a snob. I met former roommates of hers one time at a church function who shared she looked down her nose at them while at BYU. So it wasn't personal to our family, that's just who my brothers married.

My brothers are sincere believers. Their wives more cultural Mormons. And yet they know a good thing when they have it so make no waves by rocking the boat. They've trained their husbands well to be their maids in waiting. Both consider themselves Mormon American Princesses, and will to the day they die.

In my patriarchal blessing about Joseph another thing the patriarch mentioned was that because Joseph lived close to the Lord, the Lord was always with him.

Much of the prayer/blessing he gave me was more fatherly wisdom is how I've come to view some of the practical counsel found within since receiving it on my 12th birthday. He was a kind, loving person who took his time talking to his subjects to get to know each of us personally, before ministering his blessing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2017 01:58PM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.