Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: May 18, 2017 10:54PM

Not that this is a big surprise to anyone, but I was looking over our monthly budget.

The biggest single item on there is our mortgage.

The second biggest item, not far behind, is tithing. Of course that was set when I was an OCD TBM and thought I had to pay on gross.

Now I haven't extradited myself completely from paying it, but I'm apt to pay on net, deduct when we have to pay for kids activities (or I buy a new white shirt for Church), and I sometimes "forget" when we need to buy a new couch etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: May 18, 2017 11:04PM

Feeding the beast isn't productive even though you may be keeping the peace. (It seems apparent that it makes you cringe too.) How far and how long are you going to take this?

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 09:43PM

Try to switch to tithing according to surplus. I saved a lot of money while I was doing it.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 19, 2017 10:27PM

I figure if it's taxable it's titheable. God isn't above the IRS. So, take all your deductions and pay 10% on that if you want to be compliant. Of course, tipping waitresses and strippers does a lot more good than giving it to the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.