Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 30, 2017 10:08PM

Artificial Intelligence is the new frontier.

Seers, astrologists, and psychics used to predict the future, with great irregularity.

Today's predictions are based on algorithms.

The men and women who succeed are the seers of the 21st century.

~ National Geographic, Breakthrough

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 30, 2017 11:07PM

Now I KNOW that I'm a dinosaur, for sure.

Algorithms have something to do with math, right? I'm doomed.

Date: May 30, 2017 11:20PM

Me too, catnip! :)

Algorithm, according to wikipedia is, "In mathematics and computer science, an algorithm (/ˈælɡərɪðəm/ AL-gə-ri-dhəm) is a self-contained sequence of actions to be performed. Algorithms can perform calculation, data processing and automated reasoning tasks."

Good thing computers are made to be user friendly or we'd be goners. ;-)

The Millenials grew up with computers from kindergarten on. It's like a second language to them.

There's a commercial out now for Watson, AI analytic talking computer to help us with our daily tasks. That seems like a "brave new world" to me. We're being outsourced by computers.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 02:16AM

I think a useful metaphor is that an algorithm is like a recipe. You have a list of ingredients and instructions to follow to produce a dish.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 30, 2017 11:38PM

A lot of people are picking up coding to help with their everyday jobs. GitHub alone counts 20 million users. Many of these aren't professional programmers. But with numbers like that, I think maybe you're right.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:01AM

Just FYI, I'm putting this thread into my database so that I can predict all of your future actions -- not that hard when you have a statistically valid (large enough) sample of all your posts.

Hehe.

:)

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:08AM

They can predict Walmart profits and who will buy what from Amazon. Beyond that, they can't predict anything.

Date: May 31, 2017 10:12AM

Surprisingly they predicted the outcome of the last presidential election over and beyond what the news media was trumpeting (no pun intended,) based on algorithms and stats.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:18AM

538 and Nate Silver failed miserably - they predicted Hilary

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:57AM

Let's be honest. Although 538 predicted that Hillary would win, it also maintained that the margin of error was huge and that the outcome was very uncertain.

Given that Hillary won the popular vote, and Trump won the electoral college by barely squeaking by in a couple of states, the results were well within what was statistically predicted. Anyone who is bragging about predicting Trump just happened to be on the winning side of a risky bet.

Statistical prediction and machine learning are useful tools, but can't do any better than the data they are fed. This past election was a very weird one and was subject to a lot of foreign interference. It should be taken as more a cautionary tale than as an example of business as usual.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.