Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 09:43PM

I would like clarification from someone who has been there and knows, about the "rule" about laughter. I've heard it said "loud laughter," I've also heard it said "light laughter."

I gather this is one of the promises one makes not to do it during the endowment?

If so, is it not to do it within the temple, or not to do it at all? Is it kind of like how the bishop thanks the young men serving the bread and water for their reverence---which I gather means dignified and quiet?

What would constitute "light" laughter? Laughing at certain things? Laughing heartily? Laughing till you're crying because something hits your funny bone so hard? Or makes you want to cry because it's both funny and awful? What?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 10:00PM

It fades it fades it fades Tried to recall a memory of it but it fades it fades it fades

It's loud laughter definitely check the box for loud

I seem to recall tight garments or was it taunt skin pregnancy vomiting repeatedly ----- after some video tape screen play swears me to move my arm repeatedly / slash my neck wave my arm whatever put on a hat cover my face stumble tumble kneel. The giggling had ended

For a while! No more

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 10:20PM

Yes, it's associated with a promise you make in the temple. And it's a general prohibition--not just to be avoided in the temple, but to be avoided anywhere at anytime.

From the temple ceremony:

"PETER: A couple will now come to the altar. (Witness couple comes to altar as before.) Brethren and sisters, this couple at the altar represents all of you as if at the altar, and you will be under the same obligations as they will be. We are required to give unto you the Law of the Gospel as contained in the Holy Scriptures; to give unto you also a charge to avoid all light mindedness, loud laughter, evil speaking of the Lord's anointed, the taking of the name of God in vain, and every other unholy and impure practice, and to cause you to receive these by covenant."

http://mit.irr.org/mormon-temple-endowment-ceremony

As far as the precise definition as to what constitutes "loud laughter?" I don't think it's really defined anywhere, like so much of Mormonism. But from my experience, most Mormons don't get overly uptight about it and will enjoy a good laugh now and then.

[Edited for content]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2017 12:23AM by lurking in.

Date: June 18, 2017 11:36PM

Wow, that just about covers everything, doesn't it? No wonder people get in big trouble for thinking critically, and can't talk to each other about what they are learning and thinking.

I wonder what "light-mindedness" means?

I've always thought laughter and light-heartedness were a wonderful gift.

I wonder whether making this promise, this covenant---would make you sort of look over your shoulder all the time lest you be found guilty of light-mindedness or loud laughter? Let alone speaking ill of the Lord's anointed.

Thanks for the info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2017 11:38PM by relievedtolearn.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 11:47PM

It might link laughter , and expressing tension in discomfort or glee.... forbidden...

This first part could promote a cultural miscue or ineffectiveness processing pain and stress, frustration or even futility ... that could lead to greater problems. Possibly this promoted the high antidepressant use.

With analyzing and speaking any doubts or evidence gathering

This particular covenant makes people less effective. It attacks their humanity.

Date: June 18, 2017 11:57PM

Yeah, no kidding. =(

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 12:36AM

Years ago I recall a non-LDS faculty member at BYU sitting in a
concert hall before the concert. She was with a friend and
evidently the friend had said something funny because she let out
peals of loud laughter. What was interesting is how out-of-place
it was. You never hear loud laughter in public places at BYU.
This has to be because the model is set by garment-wearers.

Loud laughter and light-mindedness are good, healthy things. The
culture that has taught we are to avoide all loud laughter and
light-mindedness leads the world in per-capita use of
anti-depressants. Gee, could there be a causal link here?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 11:23PM

Maybe the line "to give unto you also a charge to avoid all light mindedness, loud laughter, evil speaking of the Lord's anointed, the taking o......." isn't interpreted correctly.

It could be " .... to give unto you also a charge to avoid all light mindedness OF THE LORD'S ANNOINTED, loud laughter OF THE LORD'S ANNOINTED , evil speaking of the Lord's anointed, the taking ......".

Light mindedness and loud laughter would then be allowed. Problem solved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2017 11:24PM by tumwater.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 11:36PM

It means don't laugh at the old man hitting they guy playing Satan during the endowment with his Cain... lol

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 11:59PM

Well, I remember when they showed It's Mad, Mad, Mad World at the Varsity Theater. Most of us were laughing so loud and hard we almost peed out pants. Of course, this was before my slicing and dicing in the temple, so I wasn't under commandment, yet. The Boner.

Date: June 20, 2017 12:21AM

Thanks for that picture =)

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 01:13PM

Love Mad,Mad,Mad World! A lot of my DVD's are comedies. Whoever came up with the avoiding loud laughter and light-mindedness forgot about this little scripture: "A merry heart doeth the soul good like a medicine." In the Reader's Digest is a page titled "Laughter is the Best Medicine."

Date: June 20, 2017 02:04PM

Yep. Tragic.

The God I believe in believes in laughter, joy, freedom, truth-anger, too.

I figure s/he gave us brains and emotions, and the ability to talk---probably would be ok with us using them. hmph.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.