Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 02:18PM

I just happened to read a notice on my Compt. from our Ward. It was regarding the D.I. store, and stated, "Dessin Meyer, in charge of the Deseret Industries store".

My Q: Is it just Mormons, or others also, that seem to have a penchant for giving strange made-up names (or family last names) to their children?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 02:40PM

Inner city kids back east had a lot of interesting made up names!

But otherwise I have mostly seen that with Mormons, esp. Utah Mormons (not so much back east)… although a lot of the strange sounding names were the ones Joe Smith made up for the book of mormon.. Always felt bad for kids having to be named Nephi or Lehi, etc..

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 02:45PM

One of my mission companions (from Utah, of course) was "Mahonri."

Poor kid.

Posted by: BeatMeatSparingly ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 03:23PM

Did he have a brother named Jared?

Date: June 19, 2017 04:05PM

He did.
I got the brother of Jared for my companion :)

Posted by: namarod ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 11:39AM

I have a cousin whose name is Mahonri. He's from Utah. He served his mission in Australia. Is this the same guy as your mission comp?

Posted by: namarod ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 11:41AM

I know a TBM whose name is Lamoni.

Date: June 21, 2017 09:50AM

namarod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a cousin whose name is Mahonri. He's from
> Utah. He served his mission in Australia. Is this
> the same guy as your mission comp?

Nope. I was in France-Paris, '79-'80.

Does your cousin have a brother named Jared? :)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 02:11AM

Tagging a defenseless baby with one of those horrible monikers is tantamount to child abuse. Imagine the teasing some of those kids will go through when they get to school.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 11:55AM

Someone really named their son "Iron Rod"? I feel for that kid.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 09:56PM

Iron Rod needs to be brought together with Mormon Beauty (from the girls' names list), to see what develops from there.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 11:49PM

Or brought together with Vulva Mae - also from the girl's list.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 03:57PM

I've known of a few Mormons named Lemuel.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 05:12PM

When I went to Temple Tech, one of the guys in the home evening group was named Omni.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 12:05PM

caffiend Wrote:
> http://uhsra.org/results/rgn1aa.htm

Nuff said.

Rest of thread unnecessary.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 05:40PM

I especially like 'Chinchilla Zest' in the girls' names. LOL :)

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 05:45PM

My very very tbm cousin and husband have 10 kids and named all of them either directly after a GA or some obvious take on a GA's name. Pretty late in their baby-making during the Hinkster's reign she was prego with twins. I joked that if girls they should name them Gordlyn and Hinklyn. I feel sorry for their kids having stupid churchy names.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 06:02PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 06:35PM

They seem to love strange mixes of other people's names, such as grandparents, cutsie phonetic constructs and (for girls) the letter "y."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 06:47PM

that we had never heard before. My ex "made it up." People were shocked when we'd say what her name was and my ex thought maybe we shouldn't name her that after all, but we did. Imagine that Disney eventually named one of their characters her name, let alone my best friend's granddaughter has that name and a kid I babysat named his first daughter the same name. It isn't really common now, but it also isn't "mormonism" related.

Now my ex's parents, named their kids some interesting names. My ex's name is his grandmother's maiden name. His middle name is his mother's maiden name. Now he definitely has an interesting name.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 07:23PM

The last word on Utah baby names:
http://wesclark.com/ubn/

Date: June 19, 2017 09:03PM

how similar the baby-naming habits of UT parents are with many (if not most) African Americans here.

Other than that, the answer is that you are not mistaken about UT Mormons giving remarkably strange names to their kids.

In our TBM UT family it has gotten so bad that when either my husband or me here about the birth of a new baby we are practically rolling on the floor with laughter to find out the name. What I find really funny is that it seems that it isn't enough to merely give the child an odd name but the spelling must go along as well. A few years ago young family members apparently took to blindly pointing to a map of the world when choosing their children's names resulting in kids named, for example after the capital of the state of MA and spelled "Bostin".

Date: June 20, 2017 12:38AM

Posted by: EM10 ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 10:19PM

Reminds me of a video I saw a while ago that almost had me in tears https://youtu.be/BfIehCrO4Zs . There's a boys edition, too

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 11:10PM

I've often had a hard time not trying to laugh when I hear about what Mormons in my step family have named their children, as they've come up with some really weird names. At least they're not quite as bad as what one of their Mormon co-workers was naming a child, which was basically what happens when you let your cat walk across the keyboard. I think it was a weird spelling of Madison or something like that, but it wasn't spelled like that. Also, my youngest step sister from Utah married someone who was named after a GA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2017 11:11PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 12:05AM

I have noticed what someone mentioned above about there being an extraordinarily large amount of African-American names among white Mormons in the Morridor.

What's odder is that they would shun those same African Americans whose names they stole to name their white kids...and wouldn't believe it is an African American name they stole!

Posted by: YouCan'tMakeThisStuffUp ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 10:38PM

A friend had a 6th grade student named La-a. Said student got very angry at anyone who didn't know it was pronounced ladasha.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 11:20PM

YouCan'tMakeThisStuffUp Wrote:
> A friend had a 6th grade student named La-a. Said
> student got very angry at anyone who didn't know
> it was pronounced ladasha.

I've heard that one before. There must be more than one of her. The funny thing, which I wouldn't necessarily expect the mother of anyone clueless enough to name her kid La-a, is that the sign - when surrounded immediately by letters with no extra spaces, would be a hyphen, not a dash. She's really supposed to be to be called "La hyphen a.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 11:39PM

Posted by: YouCan'tMakeThisStuffUp ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 02:59AM

I've shared this with Alexis previously, so maybe or maybe not.
What I found most sad was this student's furious reaction when anyone had to ask how to pronounce it.

Posted by: greenkat ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 09:12AM

I had a girl in high school named La-a (it was her legal name), and she became very irate when anyone didn't say "Ladasha". Her parents set her up for continual anger from birth. She was so touchy that I wrote it phonetically on my seating chart so I or subs could get on with the subject when trying to ascertain who was actually in attendance.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 12:10AM

J. Alma Smith--I asked what the J stood for--nothing, his parents just wanted him to have the initial. B.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 12:25AM

Moonbeam
Jacket
Shemica
Porsche
Mercedes
Camry
Bill
Full
Etc.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 04:41PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 11:12PM

So is Portia/Porsche.

Posted by: Keybard!! ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 05:26AM

Dr. Bharsche was an engeneer, nat a gerl.

Date: June 21, 2017 11:42AM

I think you missed the point.

However a parent chooses to spell it, Portia, Porsche, or Porscha, is a name used for girls and people often associate it with the car (like Mercedes). But the middle one, yes, is a German surname originally.

Date: June 20, 2017 12:38AM

My brother-in-law's brother, an exmo, names his pets after church leaders or, in one case, concepts. I couldn't come close to naming all of their pets, but the hamster was Hinckster. The recently departed goldfish was Heber J. Goldfish. The current goldfish is J. Goldfish Kimball. They have a dog that, as a puppy chewed everything, so he is Hugh Nibley. My favorite is their cat, who is an inside-outside cat, but the wife doesn't like the cat outside all night, so every night at bedtime she's standing at their back door calling the cat, "Pay Lay Ale! Pay Lay Ale!" If there are any Mormons in their neighborhood, they're probably highly offended.

Date: June 20, 2017 12:13PM

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 01:59PM

Date: June 21, 2017 10:13AM

scmd Wrote:
> They
> have a dog that, as a puppy chewed everything, so
> he is Hugh Nibley.

Hilarious!

A mormon family I knew in San Diego, who then moved to Pleasant Grove, named their dog "dammit." The dad (sort of a jack-mormon, which was another namephreak since his name WAS Jack), loved seeing the reaction of the mormons in the neighborhood when he'd go outside and yell, "Come here, dammit! Get in the house, dammit!" :)

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 09:28AM

When I worked in the historical dept in the COB, the worst names I saw were for twin boys and the parents named them Pete and RePete.

Date: June 20, 2017 09:34AM

My mormon-pioneer-stock grandparents named my father "Sharon."
After the area in the holy land.

Of course, even in 1933 it was a girl's name. And my dad hated it. Had to put up with "a boy named Sue" jokes all his life, which is why he went by a nickname.

WTF were they thinking?

Date: June 20, 2017 12:16PM

Oh my! I used to send my daughter e-mails with the names I ran into and tell her NOT to name her kids that.

I type many older men who have names like Sharon, Marion is a big one. I'm trying to think of some of the others, but there are a lot of older men who have what I consider women's names. I sometimes don't dare use the he or she, etc., in the body of the report and I just keep putting "the patient" as I'm not sure if the doctor got the gender wrong.

Date: June 20, 2017 10:05PM

Marion M. Morrison -- was the original name of John Wayne.

Date: June 20, 2017 11:08PM

My dad has male acquaintances named Beverly and Shirley. Both are LDS.

Date: June 20, 2017 11:13PM

Hazel was one, too. Gendered names change throughout time, Taylor and Hunter for your daughters, anyone? ;) Ryan is a newer one.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 02:31AM

It's the fad in our Mormon neighborhood, to name girls boys' names:

Riley, Taylor, Eliot, Sam, Kendall, Casey.

The boys are named the mother's maiden name, whatever it is:

Smith, Jensen, Jamison, Granger, Blake, Wilson, McDuff.

Yes, they name their pets children's names: Sadie, Penny, April, Zoe, Frank, Bob, Harry.

My ex-husband has a dog with the same name as his grandchild.

How about "Diem" (as in "carpe diem"), La Prele, McGeorge and Murina Poole (my favorite).

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 03:09AM

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 11:43PM

His first counselor, Prez Hansen could not say "Lord" to save his life. It always came out "Lard".

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 12:35PM

My husband has a non-mormon friend who named his sons Mane and Zephraim. I have a friend who named her daughter Sossity after some obscure song. All have grown up to be normal happy people!

Date: June 20, 2017 10:07PM

"Sossity?" Was it pronounced like "Society?" Maybe the song was "Society's Child" from the 1960s.

Posted by: jaded ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 12:48PM

In my last ward there was a (first name) Angel (middle name) Moroni.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 04:45PM

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 12:56PM

I have a friend whose Mormon sister named her four kids after Star Wars characters.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 01:02PM

Hahahaha! The pet names were hilarious! Especially for the cat.

Date: June 20, 2017 01:33PM

My turn: I had non-identical cousins named the initials after the same grandfather, HC and CH.

Date: June 20, 2017 01:39PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob: One of my mission companions (from Utah, of course) was "Mahonri."

FYI: The Lucy show had Lucy (and all) in court, reg. who owned the TV set they were all fighting over. The judge came down from the bench to illustrate his judgement point. The judge was a Mormon named "Mahonri" (I think the last name was Jackson?).

I wonder if it could have been the same guy?

Date: June 21, 2017 11:51AM

If this is the one you're thinking of:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0609350/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

It's way too old :)

The judge was played by an actor named Moroni Olsen (certainly a mormon with a name like that!):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0647752/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t5

He also did the voice for the mirror in Disney's original "Snow White."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2017 11:53AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Newly Released ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 11:40PM

My YW teacher named her son Jewel because in her patriarchal blessing (done while she was pregnant with him) said that her baby will come down from heaven "like a jewel on a cloud."

4 years later my YW teacher left the church, got a big boob job, and became the talk of the (non-Mormon, midwestern) town.

I wonder how she and Jewel explain to people the story of his name now.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 09:35AM

Only a mo would name a kid Hyrum. The Smiths could not spell Hiram.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 10:05AM

I have one of those semi-normal names, but spelled weird. Yes, Utahns were doing this 60+ years ago. I've spent my whole life having to spell my name for everyone.

So when I had kids I tried to make sure I spelled them the way normal people would. One of my daughters has a name that is sometimes spelled with just a "y" at the end and sometimes an "ey." So I kept track of every time I saw the name and whether it was more often spelled one way or the other. The way I spelled it seemed to be the spelling I saw the most, by a long shot. But she came home from elementary school one day and asked me why I had to spell her name weird cause everybody says it should be spelled the other way. Ya can't win.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 10:50AM

Some of us know kids named "Teancum."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.