Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 03:32PM

My TBM dad, me and our 2 furbabiez Princess and Poncho(maybe the dogs) are driving down to Ely,NV Sunday morning to see my younger sister and her family. We'll be back on Tuesday sometime. My sister has to work on Tuesday. I'm trying to find an inexpensive 4 star pet friendly hotel. Any ideas???

If it wasn't For the tension at home, we'd leave the dogs behind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 03:46PM

I've got the 3rd and 4th off.

3rd: 18 holes in the morning, family bbq in the evening.
4th: picnic on Coronado Island, staying to watch the "Big Bay Boom" fireworks over San Diego Bay :)

I can't help on hotels. Hope the tensions don't ruin the weekend for you.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 09:37PM

Tell it that Native Daughter Catnip says hello to Fletcher Hills!! I left CA forever in about 1972, and never stopped missing the beaches. (Or, at least, the proximity to the beaches!)

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 03:58PM

July 4th is my daughter's birthday. And she is expecting a daughter, already overdue! It's all good, y'all! Wish I could help with the trip, anonymous. You are smart to take the dogs rather than worrying about them.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 10:23PM

That's going to be an exciting 4th of July just waiting for the baby to deliver.

Congrats on the newest addition to your family! :)

Date: June 28, 2017 04:10PM

A four star hotel in Ely that isn't expensive?

A nice hotel/motel might be a 2-3 star hotel that'll let you keep your dogs. Without all the fuss.

Check out Best Western, or Comfort Inn.

Here's a list from Trivago for the best deals in Ely: (Magnuson Park Vue has pretty views overlooking a nature scene.)

https://www.trivago.com/?aDateRange%5Barr%5D=2017-07-16&aDateRange%5Bdep%5D=2017-07-17&iPathId=67901&iGeoDistanceItem=0&aCategoryRange=0%2C1%2C2%2C3%2C4%2C5&aOverallLiking=1%2C2%2C3%2C4%2C5&sOrderBy=relevance%20desc&iRoomType=7&cpt=6790103&iViewType=0&bIsSeoPage=false&bIsSitemap=false&;

Date: June 28, 2017 04:43PM

Pets are okay at White Pine!

Check it out (on Trivago.)

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 04:24PM

Going to watch my great niece and nephews juggle in the parade.

Working both the 1st and the 3rd. Quarter close is more important than an American Holiday according to our French parent company.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 04:29PM

I have a music gig in Newport Beach this weekend, playing a couple hours with my two musicians friends. Then I'm building a cover/ roof with my son and bro-in-law over the new front porch I just put in, . And on the 4th I'll be playing more music with another friend around the fire pit and just hanging out, BBQ, drinks, yard games, etc.

Don't have time to smoke salmon and make ice cream so that will be later in the week, and I have the week off :)

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 04:57PM

Nothing but playing on my computer and maybe some housework.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 04:57PM

What a joyous holiday.

A BBQ at my son's house. A BBQ is the tradition, no matter who in the family hosts the dinner.

I do fly our flag on the porch's supporting 2X4. (A spot is prepared for flag waving whenever.)

No dogs to worry about, as no dogs live here.

City doesn't allow home noise (including sparklers), but does sponsor a good park display.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 04:59PM

I have a granddaughter's 5th birthday on the 3rd but I may have to work, trying to trade another guy.

I do have to work on the 4th, which is OK. I'm not much into fireworks. I still remember the days of TBMness when we had to spend the afternoon and evening in Provo, to see the Stadium of Fire. Have you priced the tickets for that lately?

And then the 5th, I get to start moving to a new apartment. UGH. It's only 6blocks away and that may be as hard as moving 400 miles. Any volunteers?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 05:06PM

Hiding Out.

I have a day off work with nothing to do. I don't want to go to anyone's parties. I don't want to watch fireworks. I don't feel patriotic these days anyway. I want to put on a pair of shorts and curl up and read all day, eat a pint of Haagen-Dazs Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream and maybe cook a Papa Murphy's pizza. How many days till Tuesday?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 05:52PM

You can check off the "Pet Friendly" box on the left side of the Hotels.com website to bring up a selection. Call to confirm the hotel's policies. Here are four possibilities:

https://www.hotels.com/search.do?resolved-location=CITY%3A1522215%3AUNKNOWN%3AUNKNOWN&f-amid=64&destination-id=1522215&q-destination=Ely,%20Nevada,%20United%20States%20of%20America&q-check-in=2017-07-02&q-check-out=2017-07-04&q-rooms=1&q-room-0-adults=2&q-room-0-children=0

Or, google "Pet friendly motel hotel Ely Nevada."

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 06:08PM

Going crabbing with the kids. Then back home to cook them up and eat them. The crabs that is, not the kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 07:09PM by janis.

Date: June 29, 2017 10:11PM

His father and I split up when Son was 10 or 11. We lived in Louisiana.

One weekend, around the Fourth, I think, I bought a package of disposable chicken parts (gizzard, kidneys, heart, lungs, etc.), some twine, and crab nets (which I still have, though they aren't good for much in NM!) and we drove down to a place called Manchac, which was famous for its crab population.

I took a cooler with some soft drinks and sandwiches in it, and we staked out a spot on one of the piers, and we had a fantastic time. Son, now 40, still remembers it fondly. We only caught little crabs, so we threw them back. We only scooped them up in the nets, so they were not injured in any way, so they weren't injured in any way, and were free to resume their little crabby lives.

We came home tired, sunburned, and with that slightly icky salt-water residue that you can get around ocean water, but we had a GREAT time.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 07:01PM

Well, up here in Canada, our national day is July 1, Canada Day....and this year (If you've followed my posts about finding my birth family a couple years back) we're hosting a family reunion of my birth family siblings and aunts, an uncle and some cousins here at the farm on Canada Day weekend. Gonna have a house full plus a few RV's and we're gonna eat a lot of food and drink a lot of booze and get to know each other. Gonna be epic!

Date: June 29, 2017 10:27PM

That sounds very exciting to be reunited with your birth family, LR.

It should be epic! :)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 03, 2017 09:46AM

It was indeed epic, Amyjo. My four siblings and I were together for the first time. And then I met two aunts, three cousins and a nephew and spouses for the first time....and we fed 25. Still basking in the afterglow of it all.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 09:52PM

We don't really celebrate it at Bag End. Maybe a barbecue dinner, potato salad, beans and wings. No big. The neighbors have kids, and they burn a lot of stuff.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 10:34PM

I'll b sailing Northbound on Puget Sound, with or without female accompanyment...

There will be More sunscreen on me than clothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 10:35PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Anon370H55V ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 01:59AM

Staying home and snuggling.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 04:51AM

My children and I used to live in San Diego--in La Jolla, near the beach--in another life. A friend had a house right down on the San Diego Bay, and they would invite everyone over to see the fireworks.

Here in Utah, we usually go to Park City Park for the rugby games and fireworks.

We bring a cooler, with drinks, grapes and cherries, and cookies, and buy our hotdogs at one of the stands at the park. Nobody has to work.

On Sunday, we're having a water party in our back yard, with blow-up wading pools and a water slide, playground equipment, sand box, corn hole, croquet, badminton, baseball, squirt guns and bubble guns, etc. This is my favorite thing to do--with all my children and grandchildren. Chicken and beef kabobs, barbecued asparagus, potato salad, Watsonville strawberries, ice cream cones.

It it's hot, and I'm tired and sore from baseball, I sometimes volunteer to stay home, that night, with the dog, who freaks out at fireworks and thunder. From my living room window, I can see three different fireworks displays, in SLC. No traffic, no noise.

Date: June 29, 2017 09:50PM

We have an evaporative cooling system, so we can't just close our windows entirely to shut out the noise.

She was a tiny kitten for her first 4th of July, and was so terrified of the constant explosions of the fireworks that she stayed hidden under the sofa for most of the evening and night, refusing even to come out for food.

Ever since then (and she is 2 1/2 years old now) she startles when somebody lights a firecracker. And of course, people have been doing that for a few days now.

The older cat will allow herself to be cuddled and soothed, but the little one can't tolerate that.

My son plans to bring his little daughters (4 and 8 years old) over for fried chicken, potato salad, and whatever else I can think of, as well as an assortment of sparklers and other non-noisy fireworks. Both of the girls know how terrified little Mistel is of loud noises, and they would not deliberately frighten her. They have been taught since infancy to be kind to pet animals.

Both of our cats are tortoiseshells, and my granddaughters are fascinated by the characteristic bi-colored orange and black faces.

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 04:59AM

We are having a cookout for about 100 people. We are roasting a pig and everything else will be potluck style brought by the guests.

Every year we have some sort of entertainment. This year we are putting on a talent show - so far we have 35 acts signed up to perform. I can't wait to see what everyone does.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 05:45AM

I will quietly enjoy a Big Mac at home, and maybe watch an American movie. There aren't many Americans where I live.

Date: July 04, 2017 07:04PM

I would think not.

Can see you enjoying a sparkler or two, unless they're illegal over there.

It has to feel strange living in China when you grew up in America. It's so different there culturally, as well as socio-politically.

Hope you have a nice, peaceful 4th of July.

Date: July 04, 2017 07:15PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 07:16PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 01:37PM

Stay at home Hide from the wildfire

Date: June 29, 2017 09:57PM

The neighbors from our end of the street all congregate, taking turns to light off our collection of fireworks. Big things, like bottle rockets, are against the law due to fire hazard, and nobody in our immediate neighborhood buys them, but there are obviously idiots in other parts of the 'hood who do.

The Fire Department has drones that buzz around the neighborhood, keeping tabs on who has what kind of fireworks. I think they know by now that our little neighborhood is pretty law-abiding. The first time I saw and heard a drone buzzing around, I felt kind of freaked out ("Big Brother is Watching You!!") but they don't bother me any more. I even wave at the drone.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 02:15PM

Lots of daiquiris

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 07:54PM

Probably go to my brother's as he usually has a big potluck gathering followed by watching fireworks in the park near him. I just spent a few days this week in Vegas visiting my mom, as I didn't want to deal with the holiday traffic next week.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: June 30, 2017 09:31AM

Planning on going to church... kidding

My band is playing a gig at a really cool venue:

Lake
Waterfall
Covered Stage
His/Her Restrooms
Bar

Did I mention it is in a friend's backyard?

Happy 4th everyone~
~Breedum

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: June 30, 2017 10:19AM

I suppose that with it being a National Holiday that we might have time to be more relaxed and have a break by doing some chapel cleaning. If we sleep in til 4am, get to the chapel early after family scripture reading, and get working then we can make up for those who have been slothful and be done by mid-day so we can spend the afternoon getting all the household chores done in time to finally have an opportunity before its dark to get all the kids dressed up in the finest clothes we could find at DI for our budget to do some missionary work in our neighborhood. Because we spend a lot of money on obedience-oriented expenses and though having around a dozen kids seems pretty normal it does cost a bit to keep them in clothes & fed & we feel so blessed for the special discount racks at DI for clothes that don't sell within the first 90 days & this reminds us how Heavenly Father loves us so we need to be even more obedient than ever. It will be so nice to go around the neighbors in our rusted Suburban built in the 20th century and show them how blessed we are and get them assimilated into our true Church. It would be nice to be able to have some time to watch some fireworks but we got to get our genealogy work done so I suppose we'll be up until 1am plugging away on that sacred duty as our souls are wretched with never ending guilt for all those poor spirits of our ancestors still rotting away in their Spirit Prison cells because we haven't submitted their names yet :( We'd do the home teaching and visiting teaching too on the 4th but the Ward tradition is to do it on the very last day of the month. But then we'll have to get to bed because July 5th will be a normal day so we won't be able to sleep in. You pitiful apostates who don't get to feel the same rest and joy that the faithful have in their lives thanks to unquestioning obedience to the Brethren.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 30, 2017 06:05PM

My two friends, myself and I, will drink rum and float around in the pool, watching the palm trees go round and round.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: July 02, 2017 10:25PM

4th of July Eve (Monday night) I will be running the Stars and Stripes 5K in midtown Memphis, TN.

4th of July itself, my husband and I plan on grilling outside and just taking it easy.

Posted by: perditious1 ( )
Date: July 03, 2017 05:06PM

GOING SKIING [ on snow!! ]
thanks to a very wet winter, the sierra nevada's have enough snow to support skiing in July!!!!!
i'm pounding a few brews, it's gonna be good!!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY--- RfM

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: July 03, 2017 05:14PM

After verifying family events were very far away first watered my yard to protect it from neighborhood bottle rockets, then decided to schedule my own celebration. High temperature at 79 degrees outside at the lake according to google. My lds brother found a new lady at a ward near the temple the temple matron introduced them...his earlier wife whom I knew moved on to make other family gatherings now.

Something about it there's a celebration going on & make your own celebration

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 01:12AM

Our cul-de-sac has a BBQ in one of the backyards. We do St. Patrick's Day together as well. I find value in knowing my neighbors.

Posted by: cakeordeath ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 01:42AM

The obligatory drive through Logan Canyon to Beer Lake. I often think the name should be (Azure) Blue Lake but, I'd be wrong twice. I've never seen a bear anywhere near that lake. Then, the annual pilgrimage to LaBeau's for a raspberry shake. Last time we were there, a certain cretin pulled up in a Centurion Ford Truck pulling a cigarette boat. The driver of the Ford took up 6 parking stalls and kept his LOUD vehicle running the whole time in order to keep Ms. Cretin cool and comfortable.

Next, the drive back behind a Miller Bros. unladen meat truck that cannot do over 5.2345 miles per hour, especially in the turns. That's when I turn up the tunes and start singing Highway to Hell.

Grilled burgers and Skyping with the kids in faraway lands.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 01:45AM

I'll be spending the day putting slinkys on escalators.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 03:48AM

most hotels accept dogs for a small fee. take them. they will hear fireworks go off, and without you, be traumatized

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 05:54AM

Enjoy your trip to Ely!

I, also, will babysit the family's dogs, at night, on the Fourth of July. I do this on New Year's Eve, too, but by then, there will be two new grandchildren to babysit, too! I'm single, and I'm happiest when I avoid nighttime couples' activities. Been there done that. My children are all married, so they go out and have fun, with their married friends. I am a morning person, anyway, and have to get up early the next day, for work.

The dogs are more cozy in my bedroom, and my lab likes to curl up in the cubby hole under my desk. I plan to crank up the AC, and watch a movie, and share my snacks with the dogs. They comfort me as much as I comfort them.

During the day, the family gets together to eat hotdogs and hamburgers, and all kinds of fixin's. We have watermelon, cherries, berries, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, corn on the cob, root beer floats--all that American Fourth of July food.

Looking forward to it!

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 06:40PM

Not feeling so hot. Someone else who is hungry should be cooking. As soon as I am done, it is bed for me.

Date: July 04, 2017 07:16PM

Made a conscious choice not to go downtown for the 4th of July fireworks tonight.

News is saying there's going to be 25,000 revelers showing up, and that's too big a crowd for me to feel comfortable with especially at night in the downtown sprawl.

So I shall stay close to home with my geriatric pooch who doesn't like to be alone when the neighborhood works last late into the night.

Today I did a whole bunch of yardwork. Mowing and then pruning some lifeless branches off some shrubbery in the backyard. Always something to do in my "100 Acre Woods."

I watched as a baby robin was learning to eat on its own in the grass while its papa stood watch nearby. It was so sweet to watch because it was a tiny replica of a grown robin. It would flitter from tree to tree while papa stood his ground right where he was. Papa robin even laid down in the grass (if you can call it that,) while baby played nearby to keep a watchful eye on his little one. :)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 08:05PM

I'm dogsitting, but earlier today went tubing the Animas with BF and one of my friends. The water is running high and fast for this time of year and while trying to get to shore, I got swept in rapids, almost lost my tube, and banged up my knees and shins pretty good on the rocks. What's amusing is my sister, who is hiking some 400 miles away, banged up her shins, too. I should find out if my other sister did the same thing. Good times.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.