Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 06:56PM

I had never considered this.

If a member of the 70 moves up to the Quorum of the Twelve, he is set for compensation for his lifetime.

If I am understanding this memo right, there exists a criterion for those who don't "make the cut." It appears that they need to serve 15 years to be vested.

https://mormonleaks.io/wiki/documents/a/a2/Vesting_for_Emeritus_Calculation-2010-04-23.pdf

Am I the only one who grew up with the understanding that these guys lived on their own funds, except in rare cases where they received modest assistance to make ends meet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 07:29PM

I was told having their own money was one of the criteria for being called. So they wouldn't be a burden on the church. If you look at church history, the guys at the top of the pyramid have been milking it since day one.

It is modest compared to most corporations with this kind of income. Monson is cheap for a CEO. But then, technically he owns the church.

Why does the church feel it needs to hide things from its members? If they're hiding small things (aw shucks, you caught us), what big things are they hiding? Also, what condescension to think that you need to treat your flock like immature children who can't handle reality.

Posted by: D ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 04:10PM

Cheap for a CEO, but hhow many executive boards does he sit on/chair/earn a pay check from?

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 07:34PM

Mormon Leaks also released a memo disclosing that General Authorities get paid $120,000 a year in cash - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr9VKHEX8iU

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 11:09PM

The stipend is small potatoes. The are all appointed as silent board members to the various corporations the church owns. Take, for example, Bonneville Communications. The church generates a ton of tax-exempt cash from tithes and then pushes this money directly to their leadership by paying for time on their own communications network. One hand washes the other. The whole scheme is sick. Rank-and-file mormons probably think their tithing is going to feeding the poor and building more churches. Little do they know it is just going into the LDS leadership's back pockets.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 04:32PM

Is this still the case? I thought the church pulled all of the GAs off the boards of its money making subsidiary corporations a while back. I remember an announcement.

I don't doubt that there are other forms of compensation, e.g. housing allowances, company cars, etc. But I think the corporate board thing is over.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 09:49PM

9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

16 “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+20:1-16

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 01:22PM

LD$ INC has so much damn money they need to put it somewhere. The LD$ royalty needs to be solid - so lets give them a good reason to stay solid. Sounds like a good business practice to me.

Instead of sending your kid to college you can pay tithes and a pension to an already rich old guy. YEA!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.