Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 16, 2017 05:46PM

Several months ago I found out via this board about another ExMormon living in my area. We exchanged email via this board and found out in the subsequent email exchange that we knew each other and had gone to church here together.

We've met up several times with the last few times being the Sunday meeting of this group.

http://www.kcoasis.org/

I bear solemn testimony to the blessings of speaking to another human being in person who has left Mormonism are true, Joseph Smith mocking is so much better, and the commiserations are deeper felt.

I'm not knocking doing this virtually in a forum like this. I did it for more than 14 years. It got me through many rough patches but actually speaking and becoming real life friends with someone who has gone through this process is really nice. I'm amazed when we get together how much talking about our former ways and faith helps to ground me in the human condition of compassion for others and empathy towards people to respect and support all people regardless of beliefs.

I highly recommend it as another way to help in your own journey of recovery.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2017 05:46PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gerthwaite Tubbs ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 12:27AM

Any exmos in Shasta and Tehama Counties in Northern CA?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 10:18AM

All mormons know that ex-mormons are miserable.

Misery loves company.

Date: July 18, 2017 07:50AM

I would rather be a miserable Exmormon in tolerating and accepting company than a miserable Mormon in judgmental and restraining relationships. I have both and I have good times in both situations. It is just with Mormons have to have much more restraint. I can't promote the large and spacious building of tolerance and acceptance as much. And I have to tolerate more absurd things than the people who aren't fixed in their genders.

I have tolerate some crazy genealogical identification like our Mormon friends thinking people can actually create a family record back to Adam and Eve.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 11:25PM

Since I found out SO much I never knew about TSCC I have been very alone in the world. Most all of my friends went with the bathwater. RfM has helped me so much realize I am not alone in the world. In my little podunk town where I live, I do not know how to find ex-mos. I would love to chat about what we have found out about TSCC. I feel like I have lost me somewhere in the shuffle. I don't know how to be other than the molly- life I've lived. Good, kind, sweet, pleasant, helpful to others. I told a 84 y/o I know I am gonna get mean and steal her tomatoes! She just laughed.
It truly is a wild ride for sure!

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 11:50AM

I know 3 exmo's in my area.

We all feel like 'brothers' and could get support from each other if/when ever needed.

In fact, at an LDS funeral 2 of us were talking when we were approached by a very well meaning, but seriously brain washed TBM, pleading with us to 'come back'.

It may be obvious, we all have not followed the same paths after Mormonism (all three are Christians). However, that doesn't mean we don't ask where the others are on their paths and discuss many differences just to understand how we got to our different positions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2017 01:05PM by spiritist.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 11:53AM

Although I've been one for 15 years, I've never talked to another ex-mo face to face.

I know of one in my area, but we've never met to talk about it. And besides, there aren't even that many mos in my area.

Date: July 18, 2017 07:51AM

I hadn't much either. I had met some former Mormon crazy people who were kicked out because of their Mormon beliefs. Missouri where I live has a few of these people.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 12:22PM

is an exmormon. Nothing better than being able to talk to your therapist about mormonism and HE GETS IT. I had been going to him for about 6 years when I finally asked him about his beliefs. It was when I finally decided I really didn't believe. He gets it.

I only see him a few times a year now--this year more because of family issues--but I just talked to him again about my TBM daughter and he zeroes right in on how I'm feeling and why. It has made so much difference.

I also live with 2 ex-mormons. Most of my family is out. I'm really lucky to have so many people I can talk to about it.

Posted by: SAexmo ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 12:30PM

Any exmo's in the San Antonio area?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 12:49PM

Yes it is.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 08:01AM

I've met several people though the years through this board.

It's been great to meet these fun and intelligent travelers!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 08:38AM

"I bear solemn testimony to the blessings of speaking to another human being in person who has left Mormonism are true, Joseph Smith mocking is so much better, and the commiserations are deeper felt."

I bear testimony also that the the blessings of having an understanding ex-mo give you a hug and "gets it" is beyond therapeutic!

I do not remember their names at the moment (embarrassing) but I was lucky enough to have a nice local couple invite new exmo's over to their home. God effing damit, it was like getting morphine after being in tremendous pain.

Real people who understand the ten thousand intricacies of 180 years of systematized deceit and who have traveled the same road is a balm to the soul. They help others find a path in a world that we were lied to about its true reality. Real people, real family, real friends and real freedom of the mind and not the scary Satan ridden evil world after all.

We were lied to about EVERYTHING. Without the constant lies the testimony of the church cannot keep its shape.

Date: July 18, 2017 08:25PM

AmIDarkNow? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Without the
> constant lies the testimony of the church cannot
> keep its shape.

Now is the time of my great power...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 07:01PM

"Real people who understand the ten thousand intricacies of 180 years of systematized deceit and who have traveled the same road is a balm to the soul."

This. This is what mattered to me. Thank you for putting it that way. Most of the never-mos in my life do not get what a monumental mindfuck ('scuse the language) that going through the Mormon wringer is. I really appreciate the never-mos here who do get it and they have a special place with me. There is a connection between Exmos which is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. No one else has walked a mile in our shoes with a baker hat and green apron on. You had to be there.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 06:43PM

Don't know what I'd have done without my Exmo friends. Two of my very closest friends are people I met at Exmo meet-ups here in the UK about 12 years ago.

And two more of my closest friends over here are Exmo, one helped me so much when I left the church. And the other recently left and I've been able to share my journey with her and that's helping her (I hope!).

And I know I don't post much on this forum but reading what posters on here have to say has been hugely helpful to me.

Thank you xo

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 10:47PM

I did get to meet (and actually stayed overnight in her adorable Victorian house) with our very own Brigantia.

She took me to a local pub, where we had a great lunch (and a half-pint; any more would have buckled my knees) and then we visited with various members of her family, which was a lot of fun.

When we went back to her house, we settled in with some Famous Grouse whiskey (seriously good stuff!!) and you'd have thought that we had been friends for decades.

There are a lot of "quality" people here. It's not like Facebook, which can be much more superficial. Over time, you learn a lot about people through their posts.

That was a great trip. Meeting Briggy was one of the highlights.

Posted by: brigantia not logged in ( )
Date: July 22, 2017 05:05PM

I'm glad you liked my little house catnip. Thank you for your kind words indeed. I loved your company and my family often ask how you are doing back in the US. So sad that you couldn't stay longer but you were on a tight schedule with lots to pack into your trip. I hope my whizzing round our little lanes on the left, in my stickshift little car didn't freak you out :-). Hugs from across the pond!

Briggy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.