Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 12:19PM

The MLM LuLaRoe was founded by a Mormon woman, Deanne Stidham. LLR style is not even remotely my thing, but whatever. It makes sense to me that Deanne would design clothing that would be considered modest by the Mormon church. Again, whatever.

But now I'm reading that the company promotes what one family member of the founder refers to as the "LLR Culture of Modesty". Representatives who are going to the LLR convention are told in no uncertain terms, "DO NOT WEAR a piece in a way that does not align with LuLaRoe culture." Meaning, no tops worn as dresses, etc. They are told to dress for the convention in a manner that is "classy, confident, modest, and comfortable."

Convention goers are further admonished, "Will you 'get in trouble?' Honestly? You just might. I have seen retailers who were wearing the pieces in a manner that was not LLR Culture of Modesty be chastened publicly...and being called out from the stage for something like that is never fun.There is a big difference between creativity and crossing into inappropriateness....always remember the culture of confident, classy, and modest fashion this company is built on."

I have to wonder how many customers and representatives are aware that they are essentially supporting standards of modesty espoused by one particular religious denomination.

The quotes come from a family member of the founder as cited by a rather angry mommy blogger who is unhappy with the company for a number of reasons. This particular blog post is quite the rant, but the others that I've read are much milder by comparison.

http://www.mommygyver.com/single-post/2017/07/18/LuLaRoe-Its-Time-To-Sit-Down

(Scroll down to the 2nd Facebook post on the right.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 01:02PM

I know a non LDS single Mom selling this product. I told her they were really unattractive and poor quality. There are much better MLM companies that don't run their company like a democracy. After reading the rules of the "Gala" dress code. (Women are to wear Luluroe clothing and make it look formal)

Say what? Methinks the CEO/Owner of LLR has a Princess complex.
Come my subjects and show me honor! *insert rolling eyes here*

RMM

Date: August 07, 2017 05:38PM

Regarding the poor quality, that is increasingly becoming a real issue for the company. There have been many complaints online of the company's clothing, particularly the leggings, developing rips and pinhole dots. The company has stated that they have had troubles with some manufacturers due to rapid expansion. Plus the company apparently has had a lot of issues with returns for customers along with getting checks to their distributorship in a timely manner.

The Gala dress code is a hoot, isn't it? Men in evening wear and women in stretchy polyester. You would think they would let the women dress up for one event. When I used to go to fan conventions, planning my outfit for the gala dinner was one of the most fun things about the trip.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 01:36PM

From the people I have seen in their product, I do not think it is particularly "modest". I have seen a lot of women stuffed into leggings that are tight and often close to see through. The shirts are OK, but nothing to write home about.

Now I will admit I am not their target audience, but I am not impressed at all.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 04:10PM

I have two conservative adult daughters who at least browse fashion sites that target Mormon women. They don't restrict themselves to styles deemed "modest" but they tend that way. I wouldn't begrudge LuLaRoe from setting standards for a convention, as they probably want their dealers and distributors to wear and share the clothing for ideas and motivation. Brick-and-mortar retailers usually hire sales people who exemplify the store's style and image.

Nobody's being forced to do anything here.

Date: August 07, 2017 04:53PM

I think they are being forced. It might be one thing to say, "Dress in business appropriate fashion," but to extend Mormon modesty standards to their entire distributorship (which is now national in scope, and much of which is likely non-Mormon,) is IMO highly questionable. As a customer I would definitely want to know about a company that treats women in this manner. That company would not get my business.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 05:33PM

LulaRoe: popular girl's name in Provo.

That's what I thought.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 01:00AM

I admit, I had the same thought, in about 5 years, you'll see a surge of LuLaRoe's enrolled in kindergarten in and around Provo.

Posted by: Anonymous0 ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 06:29PM

LuLaRoe is so ridiculously overpriced. Why in the world do people shell out that kind of money for something you could probably find for $5 at the thrift store or online? Or just...better quality clothes in the department store? I don't get it. They aren't even good-looking pieces, imo.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 08:39PM

People will wear their clothes however they want to. If they wear lularoe and make it a mini skirt or wear a shirt of the shoulder.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 11:56PM

having a party for and it just goes on and on and on. Every day. I need to make sure they don't show up anymore. I just saw another one.

Date: August 08, 2017 12:09AM

A teacher friend of mine created a separate Facebook account for her LLR business. I had to shut it off. Thankfully, she is keeping her enthusiasm for LLR to that particular account.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedon ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 05:26PM

To a marketing niche

One of my family members sells this product line modeling samples, and markets, I just love her anyways.

Sake of sales, touch point between public and production links product into marketing niches within any given population. If my family member opts to wear a marketers / sales uniform good for her. It's sort of similar to how my One adult child's corporation requires safety gear on particular field sites when taking core soil samples or water samples, or even when over seeing equipment such as hats, protective masks, certain kinds of gloves, and a type of boot with toe protection and certain sole material in addition to a hard hat. That is not how she dresses at home. I don't see any difference at all.

They do know they're in sales, right? Just like my adult kid knows they're doing fieldwork taking soil samples for chemical analysis and reporting explaining results clearly to clients. It's not like they're children contorted by seminary or young women's young men's program to be missionaries to non members they meet in class or date ( like in high school) who do not know they (themselves as a person) are a marketing sales tool for a profitable corporation with intent to invest profits made by their contributions of tithing free labor and friends who commit & convert tithe based on economic niche, former economic skills training to generate, to further generate a tithing stream ;
Which is pure profitable for the corporate interest of the church, which appears to be, apparently, a lifestyle marketing apparatus without a business front. ( ---- investing in land somewhere)

It's a real ➖➖➖➖➖➖ when one wakes up, and "de-idealizes" or even realizes.

Church marketing lifestyle via anxiety suffering promoted by demanding human needs be linked to harshly limiting commands(ment) To make a profit off it or increase profit duration on unwitting targets human targets marked for l d s lifestyle , which generates profits,

Is it not possible that things like L L Rue are decreasing anxiety church triggers by promoting and providing better camouflage through clothing that gets others off your back?
Diminishing crticsm from ward leaders letting one smoothly flow down the hall and out the door )0/more often / without a backwards or sideways glance /at unopened scriptures one is carrying - An Acutrament much like the ear rings one is wearing, pretty but one doesn't read o es ear rings, nor does o e ever actually need to read, ones scriptures. Just something to carry, much like the l l rue clothes one might be wearing it even, marketing (➖➖➖whatever one believes or acts or actually does)
The better to actually make it down the hall without being called aside or a second glance , receive a second glance.
More power to the kids still in...one is an artist married to an artist, probably needs all the camoflauge they can get!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 06:37PM

I accidentally stayed at a hotel that was hosting a LuLaRoe convention and I thought I'd slid down some trippy rabbit hole. Wow where those clothes weird and cheap looking and very unflattering. I think I've only seen people who sell them actually wearing that weird clothing. It resembles nothing that normal women wear.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 07:06PM

I don't understand their business model. I won't drink the kool-aid. I'm not going to jump through hoops to buy some funky limited edition print. If I like a print or solid legging, I want it in my size or I will look elsewhere. Viv leggings on Amazon are better quality and start at $12.00 a pair.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 07:59PM

I just read the qz.com article this morning. I didn't know the company was started by a Mormon.

I have a distant relative who recently signed up to sell this stuff--she offended a lot of her friends and relatives on FB because she put us all into her LuLaRoe FB group. After complaints she let us go. I'd never heard of it before, but it isn't the kind of stuff I'd wear, or would anyone I know.

The article troubles me because of the fact that it is an MLM started by a Mormon, and that it also has some cultish qualities. My relative has had some difficult times recently. She is now excited and enthusiastic about her new career. Sadly, she looks awful in these clothes. Sigh. I have been debating today whether or not I should send her an email. I've only met her a couple of times. She is so energized right now--not sure what to do.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 08:52PM

Is rather similar to the Mormon cult. I was a Mary Kay rep for a couple of years, it definitely had a creepy feel to it, especially at the weekly meetings.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1131227,1821366,quote=1

Any time someone doesn't want to hear, read, or see any negativity regarding a company, that sets off warning bells. A good product(s) and company can stand up to scrutiny, complaints, and negative reviews instead of plugging one's ears and going "LALALALALA!"

Posted by: jonny (the girl) ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 12:15AM

I see ads for it all the time on the swap sites here in KCMO. It's kinda ugly...if I were skinny I sure as hell w0ouldn't wear it, and I wouldn't wear it now either.

Not that I am a fashionista or anything but I don't get it. Guess I'm not missing out on anything.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 12:45AM

I shared the funny rant on my FB page and instantly got a defensive comment from a rep. I don't like MLMs at all, even though I know some women swear by them (either the products or making money from them). Every time I hear about the money part, I remember the old mantra "Fake it until you make it."

That's how people wind up bankrupt.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 04:48AM

DeAnne and her twin sister Dianne started the company together. They are my husband's first cousins. At some stage Dianne was pushed out with a hostile take-over. Not sure if they are even on speaking terms.

Sad...

While the company has over $1 Billion in yearly sales, the BBB gives LuLaRoe an "F" grade for failing to resolve the multitude of complaints against the company.

Don't worry about Dianne, within a few months of the hostile take-over Dianne started another MLM - "Honey & Lace" - which also markets the same style of women's clothing and is reportedly doing quite well.

Date: August 09, 2017 09:44AM

There are now a few direct competitors that sell the same style of clothing. I think that one of the reasons LLR opened the door to competition was poor treatment of their reps and their customers.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 11:09AM

Guess I've been out of MLM-ville for too long. I'd never heard of Lula Rose. Hell, I can't even find someone having a Pampered Chef party cause I want some stuff. And I only recently heard about DoTerra. I just don't run in the Mormon or Evangelical circles.

But it brought back memories of living in Utah when someone who hasn't spoken to you in years suddenly wants to invite you over for dinner. Or someone is inviting you to a "party." Or someone who cares about you soooooo much is being nice enough to let you in on a business opportunity. Oh yuck.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 11:39AM

I am out of the age demographic and territory where MLMs are common, so had never heard of this company. I googled it, and the clothes are butt-ugly for women of any size. Can't imagine who buys them.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 06:24PM

I looked it up too. Butt Ugly is right! Geez, who wears that stuff? For pajamas maybe.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 06:29PM

Hasn't the church declared leggings inappropriate for Sunday worship?

I'm trying to understand why members would want to spend thousands on wardrobe that "betrays" their Mormon heritage.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 08:00PM

The Mormon women who are into leggings claim that they're perfectly modest for daily wear because they cover garments. Never mind the skin-tight, almost see-through thing going on.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 09:19PM

Another ugly thing, what is with the clashing tops and skirts or leggings? They do not even try to match the colors, patterns, or anything else. Just polyester fabrics randomly thrown together.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 10:26PM

Yep. I've never seen an adult dress this way. It's super strange.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.