Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 10:03PM

So, tomorrow night my wife, myself, and Rolled Tacos On a Sunday will be attending the BOM musical at Eccles Theater in SLC. My wife is worried about being under dressed. What would be considered appropriate attire for this heathen party?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 10:13PM

Any clothes u wore to Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 10:31PM

Black slacks, white dress shirt, black name tag and a conservative tie.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 12:09AM

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 12:55AM

To sum up like Pillsbury's doughboy but with a green apron
LOL

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 12:22AM

I wore my 'Pay Lay Ale' t-shirt...

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 01:45AM

I went last week, wore some dressy-ish slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt. Theaters and places like that are always too cold for me.

My daughter went with--she wore some dark blue leggings and a reddish colored blouse.

There were people in totally dressy clothes and lots of them in jeans and polo shirts, etc.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 01:58AM

*envy*

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 10:37AM

The only way your wife could be underdressed is if she wore her bathing suit. I went a week ago. I don't recall very many people dressing up in suits or fancy dresses. Most people were dressed business casual - nicer pants and shirts, nothing too dressy. But I saw a lot of people wearing jeans, and even some men in cargo shorts. Tell her to go for comfortable and she'll fit right in.

Posted by: Sheldon Cooper ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 12:19PM

bezoar Wrote

> .. and some men in cargo shorts. <

Oh good Lord.

Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 10:49AM

Thank you for the comments brethren and sistren. For those of you who have attended, what did you think? Did you laugh your ass off? How long does it go for?

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 12:01PM

I watched the bootleg version of the original Broadway cast on Youtube about 5 years ago. It was freakin' hilarious and I'm a nevermo.

Hilarious.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 12:12PM

It's at least 2.5 hours and non stop laughter and fun. The soundtrack is terrific; the year that it won Best Musical at the Tony's, Amazon.com offered the soundtrack for .99 cents and I've had that in my files since then.

There are some terrific numbers in it; my favorite is the opening to the 2nd act, "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream", which has some very funny and smutty and amusing lyrics. Here's a link to it on YouTube, just the lyrics sung by Andrew Rannels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxQVMWjDc1Q

And, as I mentioned earlier this week, I've seen it twice before in Las Vegas, but since it's in SLC now, there are some great references to Utah that just bring the house down.

I just found the opening number as performed on the Tony Awards from the night it won. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5K8ApSzhI&list=PLjUGO_AtykRjJNBehmt2NWpWyjfkDJbtW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 12:17PM by memikeyounot.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 02:07PM

Business Casual.

This isn't the opera or some symphony.

Slacks and a polo shirt.

The wife can wear a summer's dress if she wants.

People don't dress up to the 9's for this.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 02:10PM

If you are seeing the play in Salt Lake, don't expect to be able to buy alcohol at the theater, thanks to another stupid Utah liquor law:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/03/salt-lake-city-theater-limits-beer-during-bawdy-book-of-mormon-run/comments/

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 03:30PM

Garments.....just garments.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 06:56PM

little black dress, no black dress, It's theater. Personally I like to be comfortable. Shorts and a T.
They will also sell you a T-shirt. I got maggots in my scrotum.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 01:16AM

When in question - ESPECIALLY for this event - ALWAYS OVER dress. Then you won't have to question... and neither will they.

I'd say dress up.
Be fun (funny)-COOL!
Have a blast!!!

M@t

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 02:56AM

I havent seen this play, but have gone to a lot of theatrical productions in the past. Most people dress up to the extent that they aren't wearing extremely casual clothes such as jeans etc. ,but it is by no means extremely fancy or formal either. Just look nice. Your wife can wear a dress or nice pants. You dont have to wear a tie unless you want to. There will probably be very dressed up people and people in jeans and shorts. I prefer to err on the side of being overdressed , but no one is going to turn you away regardless.You arent going to the beach and you wont be meeting the Queen so dress accorsingly.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 04:10AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 04:25AM by steve benson.

Posted by: nevermo chris ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 05:30AM

Every woman should have a "goto" in her wardrobe. That dress that is suitable to wear to weddings, funerals, and the symphony. Not really dressy, but not too casual.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 07:12AM

Wear your silly baker's hat.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 10:06AM

The show will have a little stand set up in the lobby selling Tshirts. Buy the "hace diga ebowei" one and change into in the restroom.

Then you will be perfectly garbed for the festive evening ahead!
Enjoy!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 07:08PM

When I saw it in Los Angeles, there were four guys who showed up
dressed as missionaries, complete with fake nametags. No, they
weren't real missionaries.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 07:25PM

I dress according to how nice my seats are. More expensive seats = more expensive clothes.

Dress up as fancy as you want for box seats!

For the orchestra and mezzanine, wear dress pants, jacket and tie for men, church/funeral dress or nice pants for women.

In the cheap seats, dress like a student.

For a matinee, dress one level down, on all levels, and students can dress like kids.

It is fun to dress according to who you are with (and want to impress) and where you are going afterwards.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 07:50PM

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 08:25PM

Wear a kilt and insist it was the Scots who got here first.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 11:52PM

Why Anything? Or Nothing. I Or Maybe Something In Between? Nothing Nice but Nothing Mean!

Something the 'Mormos' would Like and the 'forMons' and 'norMons' would wildly Love. Something you would be comfortable in and that would make 'them' uncomfortable.

Something that would make you feel fantastic - because you are! You look fantastic too - Because YOU are You!

Always ask yourself, what would SOMEONE ELSE wear? Who cares? Probably NOT ENOUGH, Possibly TOO MUCH. Make it your touch!

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.