Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 12:12PM

Just my personal opinion, but:

Time is a magnificent space. Every moment spawns endless new timelines, only one of which we experience in the "now". Yet all possible timelines exist and everything that can happen in a sense has already happened. So, where does that leave the other timelines that are just as real as this one? Do we get to experience them? Maybe we're all time travelers, jumping into timelines of our choosing for our own reasons.

So wherever we are "from", we are here now manipulating timelines. Rocking the whole world or just our little corner of it. This is just one more reason I hate the church and their stupid heaven treadmill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nyetmo ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 12:19PM

Hey, this is my timeline your messin' with your post!

Just think, if you hadn't written your post, which I just finished reading, I'd be blissfully responding to somebody else's post. Who knows what kind of ripple effect that will have; not just to my own timeline, but to the timeline of that other poster and whomever else may be responding, or not responding, to this or any number of other posts.

Whew! This is all a little overwhelming.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 12:36PM

BabS, I always get philosophical when flying. There's something so magical about leaving terra ferma and looking down on clouds, model towns, and perfect midwestern farms layouts. Time, space, and distance seem to have no meaning, and yet flying gives me the knowledge that I'm truly alive! The Mile-high Club Boner.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 01:48PM

"What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said,
“See, this is new”?
It has been already
in the ages before us.
There is no remembrance of former things,d
nor will there be any remembrance
of later things yet to be
among those who come after." (Solomon)

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 01:53PM

What time is it? I just got up...

Gatorman

Posted by: donbagley ( )

Time gets the arrow, we get the shaft.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 07:32PM

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )

I like Time, but Life had big colorful photographs.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 02:10PM

Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 02:17PM

All this has happened before and it will happen again. - J.M Barrie in Peter Pan.

"Whoever thou mayest be, beloved stranger, whom I meet here for the first time, avail thyself of this happy hour and of the stillness around us, and above us, and let me tell thee something of the thought which has suddenly risen before me like a star which would fain shed down its rays upon thee and every one, as befits the nature of light. - Fellow man! Your whole life, like a sandglass, will always be reversed and will ever run out again, - a long minute of time will elapse until all those conditions out of which you were evolved return in the wheel of the cosmic process. And then you will find every pain and every pleasure, every friend and every enemy, every hope and every error, every blade of grass and every ray of sunshine once more, and the whole fabric of things which make up your life. This ring in which you are but a grain will glitter afresh forever. And in every one of these cycles of human life there will be one hour where, for the first time one man, and then many, will perceive the mighty thought of the eternal recurrence of all things:- and for mankind this is always the hour of Noon". - Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm a god. I'm not *the* God... I don't think. - Bill Murray in Groundhog Day

And for some science that suggests its all possible:
https://beyondbiocentrism.com/

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 02:46PM

Time fits in a very small space. It exists, and so do we, at the point that is no longer the past and isn't yet the future. That is an infinitesimally small space.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 02:58PM

Time is different depending on what planet you base time on.

Posted by: nyetmo ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 03:03PM

"Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
Into the future..."

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 03:25PM

Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like an orange.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 06:25PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 07:17PM

Time is precious...especially when someone you love more than anything else in the world is told their life may be cut short by cancer.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 07:40PM

Yes, so very precious.

The older I get the faster the time seems to go. Every day is a race against the clock to fit in all I can.

There is nothing like realizing you are mortal to make you value time.

I know every moment with her you have left will be treasured.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 07:51PM

Yes, indeed. As my brother and his wife get older, I am cognizant of the fact that my time with them is precious and limited. I try to express my love to them at every opportunity.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 07:49PM

After her death, my mom appeared to me in a dream, telling me where I would be living in my 80s. I think this is how it works on the other side. Eternity is not endless time, but a place where time is no longer relevant. I believe that the inhabitants of the afterlife can see our past, the present, and even the future. Plus it sounds just like my mom. She would want to reassure herself that I would be okay and provided for to the end of my lifetime.

I joke to myself that she works very hard to keep me out of trouble. I can't tell you how many times I've avoided a major accident on the way home because a coworker wanted to come and chat, or I got a timely phone call that delayed me by a crucial five minutes. I think my mom is my "traffic angel." :)

Time is our most precious gift here on Earth. In time, all things are possible. Time is the medium that we have been given in which to love and to do the critical work of our lives.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 02:56PM

Time is only relevant to this planet.

A day on Mars is 28 hours long. Think how much more you could get done with an extra 4 hours a day?

How far and how long to get there is relevant to space, like light years. Humans put a number and limit on everything.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 06:14PM

Time is on our side. Yes it is...

Rolling Stones

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 09:03AM

I wish I could get back 36 years of time lost via the cult. I wish I would have taken the time to ask more questions when someone told me beware the cult. I wish I would have checked my assumptions more during the abuse,exploitation, victimization episodes in the cult. The regrets and many others are links to time forming an albatross of pain and shame around my soul. And it's not only the pain I allowed in my life but for all the folks I taught during my mission that drank the cool-aid. I hope they took the time to find the exit door. Time to say, sorry, I didn't know what I was doing. While I ask for their forgiveness, I cannot give them back the time they lost. So my apologies however sincere, may seem empty. I am committed to using my time each day to be happy, honest and healthy.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 02:19PM

I never could reconcile the whole discussion of time in the context of eternity.

There were countless anecdotes in TSCC about those who went before us "waiting for their temple work to be done." That made (and still makes) zero sense to me. If those souls were living in an eternal context, how could they possibly be "waiting" for anything?

And in the temple movies, which I ashamed to say I saw MANY times, the notion of "Let us go down" made no sense either. How can you go do anything if time has no meaning? There can't be motion, velocity or anything else without a time reference.

It's all craziness.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.