Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 11:39AM

Meaning upright or straight opinions from Mormons which defy commonly accepted truths such as the fact that there never was a colony of Hebrews practicing Christianity 600 years before Jesus in The New World.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 02:01PM

Orthodoxymormonic is a great new word, Elder Berry!!!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 03:52PM

You can't prove there wasn't!

As my co worker told me yesterday.

Date: August 12, 2017 10:36AM

I can't prove I exist so I think therefor I am. As to believing a golden Bible given back to an angel is more historic than stuff that doesn't need divine intervention to fill me in on history...

I'll take real stuff over angelically inspired history every time.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 07:34PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can't prove there wasn't!
>
> As my co worker told me yesterday.

"You can't prove a negative!" he said triumphantly.

"Can you prove that statement?" I asked

Date: August 13, 2017 03:34PM

Great comeback. If life were only about proof, we would infer nothing.

Implicit truth in my opinion often outweighs explicit truth when what is claimed is of a certain scale.

Seeing God and Jesus and talking to them. Ancient disappearing records translated from an unknown language. We're getting to the scale of a god. It needs something more substantial than a person's testimony....just saying.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 06:47PM

The early followers would have been proto-orthodoxymormonics; those against--anti-proto-orthodoxmormonics.

As for me, I'm an anti-post-proto-orthodoxmormonic Boner.

Date: August 12, 2017 10:33AM

Good for you Boner. I'm just glad you aren't an anti-Nephi-Lehite.

Look at this nonsense academia nuttiness.

"Etymology

When analyzing this composite name, the first question that should be asked is whether the first element, anti, is a translation or whether it is a transliteration of a NEPHITE word.

If anti is a transliteration, it might come from the EGYPTIAN relative marker nty (Coptic ente) meaning "which is," which can be nominalized as "that which is". Since the gentilic of the term is used in the plural, if it were pluralized as EGYPTIAN it should be ntyw. This would mean something like "those who are Nephi-Lehi". In later stages of EGYPTIAN, the relative marker and the genitive marker were confused. If this term derived from such a situation, it would mean something like "those of Nephi-Lehi".

If anti is a translation, the meaning could be “facing Nephi-Lehi,” from the HEBREW word that means approximately “anti,” (neged), i.e., “facing, opposite, etc.” (HWN). It is the HEBREW Vorlage in Genesis 2:18 of “help meet.” (The Greek Vorlage of English “anti” can mean “opposite, against, in exchange, instead, representing, rivaling, simulating.” See OED.) Perhaps from such considerations, it has been suggested that the significance of ANTI-NEPHI-LEHI is “those who imitate the teachings of the descendants of NEPHI and LEHI” (Ludlow, A Companion to Your Study of the Book of Mormon, 210).

Hugh Nibley suggested to one of his classes that anti might come from Arabic inda which, like Greek anti, means "opposite". Since this root is not found in other Semitic languages, it may actually be a borrowing from Greek.

Taken as a translation, and separating the group Nephi-Lehi, it might mean "descendants of Lehi opposed to Nephi". (JG)

It has also been suggested, *without attestation, that “Anta-Anti,” is an old Indian word, “a mountain region in the land of Nephi in the land of Lehi” (CBM, III, 366).

Cf. Book of Mormon ONTI(ES), ANI-ANTI, ANTIOMNO, ANTION, ANTIONAH, ANTIONUM, ANTIPARAH, ANTIPAS, ANTIPUS, ANTUM, NEPHI, LEHI

See also Anti-Nephi-Lehi Variant

Variants

AntiNephiLehi, AnteNephiLehi, AttiNephi Lehi, AnteNephitehi, Ante-Nephi/-\lehi"

https://onoma.lib.byu.edu/index.php/ANTI-NEPHI-LEHI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 10:34AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 10:36AM

This is why I don't waste my time on their silliness.

Date: August 12, 2017 01:29PM

Nibley managed to dupe many during his career as THE church apologetic. I remember pouring over his book on the Egyptian Endowment with another TBM. This other TBM is now a prominent EXMO, and we would now blush at our statement, "There's no way Joseph Smith could have made this stuff up!"

Nibley's MO was to obscure facts and divert questions by serving massive quantities of semi-related academic-sounding bullshit to his audiences. Your example above is typical of his nonsense. Once one figures out his MO, the idiocy of his arguments becomes apparent.

Isn't it interesting how Nibley's work hasn't fared well over the years? Min's Boner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 01:32PM by BYU Boner.

Date: August 12, 2017 02:15PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> Isn't it interesting how Nibley's work hasn't
> fared well over the years? Min's Boner.

Nibley worked in a time of darkness. Funny how Mormon put their date of enlightenment during 1820 yet their enlightenment happened in the later 1990s a mere 170 years later.

They still don't know how to spin it into something faith promoting so they suffer the fate of any organization built upon a foundation of ignorance.

Nibley's work looks ridiculous in hindsight precisely because of all the absurdities which arise in accepting all of Mormonism's claims as true.

Once LDS Inc. had to concede and change their introduction in The Book of Mormon it was obvious that Nibley's narrative was woefully out of date and fashion. Only die hard + blow hards like Daniel Peterson can bring up Nibley with a straight face and it is because Peterson was Nibley's protégé.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 02:38PM

Having looked into the rich & amazing varieties of LDS and Mormon spin-offs, I'm kind of attracted to Reform PseudoDispensational Antidisestablishmentarian Quasiorthodox Mormonism. There aren't many of us, but what we lack in numbers, we make up for in doctrinal precision.

Date: August 12, 2017 07:26PM

caffiend Wrote:
> I'm kind of attracted to
> Reform PseudoDispensational
> Antidisestablishmentarian Quasiorthodox Mormonism.
> There aren't many of us, but what we lack in
> numbers, we make up for in doctrinal precision.

Hey, I'm ecumenical! We can be good friends. Now, let's see how to abbreviate your organization--RPDAEQOM--nope, let's give you a nickname--The Wankers! Big bro hugs!

Date: August 13, 2017 05:03PM

How about the "International Worldwide Church of Christian Sciensology for the Triumph Unification of Krishna's Latter-Day Witnesses."

Date: August 13, 2017 05:03PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.