Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 02:15PM

I was stuck in traffic in Hollywood yesterday so I flipped on the radio just in time to hear Glenn Beck say "...the early church, and they didn't want to have any dissension, so they burned the documents."

Wait. What!?

I have no idea what he was talking about (I assume the early "catholic" church, and probably with a the-way-the-mormons-explain-history spin), because he went on to talk about his kids being treated like some kind of "Mormon witches" in school, but oh, it would have delicious to hear him rip on discovering what a scam TSCC church was to a national audience...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 10:56PM

He admitted on his radio show in October 2014 that he was no longer attending church because of a personal dispute within his ward that started on Facebook.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 07:40AM

Rusty Shackleford Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He admitted on his radio show in October 2014 that
> he was no longer attending church because of a
> personal dispute within his ward that started on
> Facebook.

Imagine that. Glenn Beck as a part of a dispute, Facebook or otherwise. He's such a kind, caring, and even-tempered person. How could he ever be a participant in a significant dispute?

On a more serious note, if a person genuinely believed in all the nonsense propagated by the LDS church, how could a dispute on Facebook of all things keep the person away from the church? If nothing else, in the case of a person with means, wouldn't that person relocate if it was a mere ward issue?

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 01:08AM

The Mormon church has always been a very eclectic mix of BIC lifers and a revolving door of kooks who convert and stick around for a time before moving on elsewhere.

Glenn Beck is obviously in the second category.

This was an eye opening revelation to me as a missionary. Going out into the mission field, I thought I would be helping functional, rational people who were searching for the truth and waiting for someone like me to present it to them. In reality, the only people that ever got baptized were the mentally ill, the misfits, the social outcasts, along with the occasional charlatan and/or criminal.

Anyhow, it appears that Beck has now made a complete revolution through the revolving door.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 01:09AM by Strength in the Loins.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 05:01AM

I'll never forget Glenn Back's meltdown on FOX news. He was talking about Indian burial grounds and how they were geometrically related to Egyptian pyramids. I could tell he was Book of Mormon crazy at that point.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 07:27AM

Good one, Don. *LOL*

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 06:15PM

Is Glenn Beck quit drinking a couple of fifths too late...

Here's one of the videos in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPX6qg4zZRI

Beck's nonsense begins about the 6:00 mark... Gotta love that "John Wesley Howell" and "Official Smithsonian Evacuation"

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 07:16PM

Nice catch, Cabbie. The comments are very amusing.

Date: August 14, 2017 10:38PM

My friend, Ohio State archaeologist Brad Lepper, has written about the "Newark Holy Stones" extensively. The Beckhead mentions them about the 7:30 mark. They are proven frauds as well, and Brad makes a convincing case they were legitimate "pious frauds" since the forger's intention was to prevent the genocide Native Americans were experiencing and possibly prevent the Civil War...

http://ohioarchaeology.org/39-resources/research/articles-and-abstracts-2008/279-the-newark-qholy-stonesq-the-social-context-of-an-enduring-scientific-forgery

And I concur with Lewis Black's diagnosis: Beck suffers from Nazi Tourette's Syndrome.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 07:36PM

Now I know that the church is true. Careful measurement of the piles my dog left in the back yard show that they are geometrically related to Egyptian pyramids. Furthermore, the turds (to the trained eye) are symbols of Reformed Egyptian. Who can doubt the logic of my awesomeness?

Date: August 15, 2017 05:44PM

Awesomeness confirmed.

Where do I send my 10%?

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 07:53PM

He exited Fox and had no hesitation offending many by how he spoke of President Obama. Interesting how he's got issues on his ward Facebook account so he doesn't attend anymore. I don't believe that for one second.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 07:58PM

Someone must have offended him.

Why else would anyone become inactive?

Date: August 13, 2017 08:09PM

Shummy Wrote:
> Someone must have offended him.
>
> Why else would anyone become inactive?

If he left as a result of a personal dispute on Facebook, it's highly likely someone DID offend him. Thanks, Glenn, for perpetuating what is in almost all other cases a myth. With the reinforcement of having gotten it right just this once - the blind squirrel finding the acorn phenomenon - they'll feel justified in continuing to attribute attrition to "offense" for the foreseeable future.

Posted by: Cates ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 10:27AM

He wanted to sin.

Posted by: nyetmo ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 10:14AM

Regardless of whether Beck is currently inactive, I can't understand why he converted in the first place. Anybody who has watched or listened to his shows knows that he takes great pride in his skepticism, and in his relentless research to justify that skepticism...complete with chalkboards filled with a rat's nest of lines proving how anything and everything we've been told are lies orchestrated by some cabal or evil puppet masters.

I've read various accounts of his conversion story, and one common element to all of them was his bitter skepticism of the church's truth claims, and his research of both Mormon and non-Mormon sources to prove it was a bunch of hokum. Despite that, I don't remember reading what his specific doubts were, or what he had found that convinced him that his original skepticism was wrong.

Date: August 14, 2017 12:47PM

The lady he had the hots for wouldn't sleep with him unless they could find a suitable religion. They chose Mormonism...

Honest, you can find him making that statement out there on the web.

Posted by: nyetmo ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 01:00PM

Ah, yes. Your memory is much better than mine, for I do now recall reading something like that.

Thanks

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 01:53PM

"When Stossel asked Beck why he decided to become a Mormon, Beck replied:

"I apologize, but guys will understand this. My wife is, like, hot, and she wouldn’t have sex with me until we got married. And she wouldn’t marry me unless we had a religion."
Beck's wife, Tania, confirmed it to Stossel: "He’s not joking.""

John Stossel, "Who is Glen Beck?", 2009

Date: August 15, 2017 05:24PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> "When Stossel asked Beck why he decided to become
> a Mormon, Beck replied:
>
> "I apologize, but guys will understand this. My
> wife is, like, hot, and she wouldn’t have sex
> with me until we got married. And she wouldn’t
> marry me unless we had a religion."
> Beck's wife, Tania, confirmed it to Stossel:
> "He’s not joking.""
>
> John Stossel, "Who is Glen Beck?", 2009

I heard him say once that his children were a large part of why he returned to the LDS church after his initial visit. His kids, according to him, said, "We like it there. We want to go bacK" after the family's first visit. Unless his kids were born before he was married,t sounds as though he has multiple conversion stories.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 04:27PM

He's just a charlatan. Seems like he "researchs" just far enough to "prove" his point.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 02:30PM

Glenn Beck puts on a show and has attended many other churches.

I suppose his roots are still with Mormonism and accepts nuance because his best friend and co-host of 20+ years is a good guy so he keeps the faith because of him.

I think he teaches some Sundays school but that was like 2015 or so who knows what he is up to with his ward. I suppose the security detail he has is a distraction and just listens to books on tape Bible / Book of Mormon type lessons.

Beck -- stop paying the beast.

Date: August 14, 2017 04:04PM

I find it darkly amusing that two of Beck's many books are titled 'Miracles and Massacres' and 'Dreamers and Deceivers', yet the former has no mention of the MMM, and the latter doesn't mention Joe Smith.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 10:46PM

I'd love to hear him weigh in on the Bowling Green massacre.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 05:54PM

Beck is a paid sock puppet for LDS inc's PR arm. Beck would be NOTHING without backdoor LDS Inc. subsidies that keep his stupid broadcasting operation rolling.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 10:19AM

I don't like how Beck weaves mormon theology in to politics, and presents his opinions as facts. When he went on tour with Ted Cruiz during the presidential campaign, I thought he had lost his sensibilities. He loosely tied the White Horse prophacy with the youth in general, and with his belief that a Cruiz presidency would save the world. Cruz isn't even a Mormon. Then Beck rolled his face in a bag of orange cheese powder, supposedly to mock Donald Trump. During this time, his business interests were taking a nose-dive. The guy is a whacko, and out of touch with reality. He doesn't have good critical thinking skills. So he is wrong most of the time. This is typically what happens to anyone who believes in the church for any length of time.

Date: August 16, 2017 05:51PM

azsteve Wrote:
> I don't like how Beck weaves mormon theology in to
> politics, and presents his opinions as facts. When
> he went on tour with Ted Cruiz during the
> presidential campaign, I thought he had lost his
> sensibilities. He loosely tied the White Horse
> prophacy with the youth in general, and with his
> belief that a Cruiz presidency would save the
> world. Cruz isn't even a Mormon. Then Beck rolled
> his face in a bag of orange cheese powder,
> supposedly to mock Donald Trump. During this time,
> his business interests were taking a nose-dive.

Correct, Beck's business interests were taking a huge nose dive, and they still are taking a huge nose dive.

> The guy is a whacko, and out of touch with
> reality.

Glenn Beck is in touch with reality and that reality is that LDS inc OWNS him and with out LDS inc assistance Beck would be NOTHING !!! Beck is a media shill for LDS inc. Glenn Beck accordingly promotes the agenda of his LDS inc owners. Beck's real bed rock business interests are the business interests of THE MORmON church.

Here is another reality. behind the scenes, LDS Inc does not like Donald Trump. In fact, they despise Donald Trump. That is why LDS Inc sock puppet Willard Rmoney was rolled out to attack Trump during the pres campaign, ( any doubt about that having happened ???) just as Glenn Beck has relentlessly attacked Trump at LDS inc's direction.

LDS Inc knows that they are in a major membership and offering revenue decline. They know that Latin America is their best chance to offset very depressing to them MORmON membership losses. LDS Inc is counting on growth in Latino membership to have some chance of maintaining the profitability of their MORmON Church scam. Trump upsets informal Latino immigrants, people that LDS Inc was counting on to keep the MORmON church propped up membership and money wise. That is a huge step down from the days when LDS inc could just endlessly worm money out of their Yankee American members like my dumb ass MORmON parents who would allow LDS Inc to suck them dry in the name of MORmON Jesus. Trump's stance on immigration and Trump's border wall was/ is seen by LDS inc as a direct affront to MORmONISM'S future viability. Trump ended up attacked accordingly by LDS inc's sock puppet media shill Glenn Beck.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 10:23PM

I agree with your post with one exception. There is no such thing as an "informal immigrent". There are only either "legal immigrents", or "illegal immigrents". Regardless of where a person stands on the topic of either allowing or not allowing illegal immigration, the laws of our country are clear, whether or not those laws are actually enforced. When the church defends illegal immigration, they disrespect the laws of the land. That is one more reason they are a cult.

Compare the church's position on illegal immigration and right/wrong to the church's position on pre-marital sex. If someone says "...well, there's really nothing so wrong about undocumented marriages and undocumented sexual relations. It's just like getting a traffic ticket", you know the church wouldn't agree. They get all uptight about the need for a legal marriage, like you're a bad person if you don't make it legal. More families are broken up by illegal immigration than by 'undocumented marriages' and pre-marital sex. The family is separated when a part of the family usually the men - go to the US to work (money first, family second). Then once the whole family has moved to the US, part of the family ends up being deported for violating one or more laws, and the family is broken up again. Who is the church to decide for themselves, which laws matter and which laws don't matter when the affects on society are the same?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2017 10:55PM by azsteve.

Date: August 17, 2017 10:32PM

azsteve Wrote:
> I agree with your post with one exception.

> There
> is no such thing as an "informal immigrent". There
> are only either "legal immigrents", or "illegal
> immigrents". Regardless of where a person stands
> on the topic of either allowing or not allowing
> illegal immigration, the laws of our country are
> clear, whether or not those laws are actually
> enforced.

concur

> When the church defends illegal
> immigration, they disrespect the laws of the land.

While they also adamantly assert that they support the law
which is one more reason that they are two face hypocrites

> That is one more reason they are a cult.

concur

> Compare the church's position on illegal
> immigration and right/wrong to the church's
> position on pre-marital sex.

> If someone says
> "...well, there's really nothing so wrong about
> undocumented marriages and undocumented sexual
> relations. It's just like getting a traffic
> ticket", you know the church wouldn't agree. They
> get all uptight about the need for a legal
> marriage, like you're a bad person if you don't
> make it legal.

Excellent point

> More families are broken up by
> illegal immigration than by 'undocumented
> marriages' and pre-marital sex.

It seems to me that is the way that a lot of families are started

.....and how many families are broken up by the lofty (self serving) standards and endless demands of the MORmON religion ....oh!!! Now I remember, MORmONISM never destroys families because MORmONISM ONLY brings families together ......because MORmONISM says so!

> Who is the church to decide for
> themselves, which laws matter and which laws don't
> matter when the affects on society are the same?

They are the mighty, self interested LDS corporation.

For MORmONISM, It comes down to a matter of principle being universally applied OR privilege being employed over the rank and file by the self selected MORmON elect. In MORmONISM privilege is the prevailing and ultimate principle, just as MORmONISM was founded on some one's attempt to find a way to justify whatever they wanted to do. They just Kept Mentioning Jesus's name until they got whatever they wanted.

The auto censor indicated that my original post had been rejected for banned content. So, in the interest of getting my basic message to pass, I had to start re submitting it in various edited down versions. Eventually a certain version did clear and was posted, just as it was finally observed as posted on the thread, even as the messages from the auto censor always indicated that the post had never gained acceptance and had remained blocked.

Posted by: mrsnotasiplanned ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 07:51AM

Are the majority of missionaries in Latin America? Aren't most of the converts there poverty stricken?

It seems the church's current investments can sustain them. I don't think they are in need.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Posted by: Omergod ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 11:00PM

$
"Does that make you feel warm inside?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.