Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 05:53PM

What did you think? And if you weren't in UT what did you think you slacked off on?

Did all the Susans make the most bandages in the War in Heaven or have the best recipes for cooking cumoms and curloms in the mess halls for the troops? Or . . .

Pay Lay Alol

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 06:39PM

I probably make it possible for many bad guys to slayed by God's team! I probably had bravery and fought extra hard for righteousness! I obviously was made by God to be a notch above everyone else---and I deserved it of course. Jesus loved me and I was loyal, never wavering-- and besides that, I probably converted some people to Jesus' side.

At least that's what I imagined as a Mormon to justify why I was born at this time, as a Mormon, in the USA, and white! LOL! I was so special. But I had a nagging question about why I ended up the inferior female rather than a male. I figured that those extra valiant males had to have great wives so that's why all the extra special pets couldn't have been made male.

Or maybe I was a good knitter. Who knows.
Oh the convoluted thinking I had as a Mormon.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 07:41PM

The whole battle idea is odd since the spirits who opposed god could not be killed. All that was done to them was run them out of heaven. So we were strong enough to make those who rebelled leave home?

Date: October 24, 2010 07:56PM

I probably just made them wish they could die and regret their decisions. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Just ask the heavenly sword and armor manufacturers who made all the weapons for the war in heaven. What kind of war would it be without weapons and killing? It wouldn't be cool to think you won your place in heaven over a Scrabble war or scripture chase.

Posted by: jon ( )
Date: October 27, 2010 12:33PM

"It wouldn't be cool to think you won your place in heaven over a Scrabble war or scripture chase."

Hilarious! Who's up for a good ole scripture chase?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 07:11PM

I've done a little math with some of my mormon friends and family.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, let's say there are seven million active mormons. There are about seven billion people on the earth. That means there is one active mormon for every one thousand people. I've asked, "do you think you were really that special in the pre-existence to be that one in one-thouand? The scary thing is they answer yes. (I haven't thought about asking what they actually did...)

But, yes, when I start to talk about the world, humanity, various cultures, and other religions, they really believe they are the one in a thousand cream of the crop.

Date: October 24, 2010 07:20PM

So then you ask them why God created so few that were actually good enough to be his special pets. All they can say is they don't understand the ways of God but they are OK with the fact they are one in a thousand. No questions asked!

So you ask them why they don't seem to be that remarkable now compared to so many extraordinary people who have lived. Blank stare. I guess they forgot how to be remarkable once they got on this side of the veil.

More fun with math...

So the CK is supposed to be filled with all the Mormons who endured to the end and kept the commandments. However kids who died before age 8 get a free pass to the CK. The bulk of the people in the CK will be kids from third world countries. And they didn't even have to pay tithing or sit through 70 years of boring meetings.

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 07:27PM

Being born '78, in my pretend, I waited til the church pulled their heads out on the racism, and then, being a lover of freedom though hater of authoritarianism, was willing to join the fray and add my voice in the fight for equality to for GLBT members of God's family. Whether you all agree or not, their fight is very much our fight. Get gov't and religion out of my bloody BEDROOM!

More freedom, less rules, regulations and oppression via religion and secular government!

Braveheart cry, "FREEEEEEDDOOOOMMMMMMM!!!"

Posted by: Peter60 ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 09:26PM

I believe that in the pre-existance we battled and chose between good and evil.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" (Ephesians 6:12).

There is a plan for all of us. Many will not have the opportunity to appropriately hear and accept the gospel in this life but after it is over.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 10:03PM

Shit. But thanks again for trolling.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: October 27, 2010 11:35AM

This one is certainly special enough for the 1 in 1000. Special. Special. Special.

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: October 27, 2010 12:16PM

Just remember what an older authority than J.Smiths warned:

"Pride goeth before a Fall"

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 07:49PM

Of course they want to believe they were more valiant and all that crap. Do you think they'd want to believe they are worthless scum? Oh, wait, that sort of goes with feeling they can never be perfect enough. Funny how Mormonism can pander to your ego and crush it down at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 07:49PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 07:56PM

Jesus put out a message and everyone who agreed with him clicked "like." That's the extent of LDS activism, and valiance.

Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 08:04PM

Maybe we could clean the spirit ward houses better then anyone else.

Posted by: Res Ipsa Loquitur ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 08:54PM

Chosenness and opposition to the "other" are always the hallmark of totalitarian systems, from the Khmer Rouge to the Nazis to Maoists to Branch Davidian to al Qaeda. This sort of thinking should always be a big effing red flag for sane reasonable people.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 08:54PM

I always thought the ones who had it good were the ones who were just valiant enough to be born in the USA, in the "last days" to a good white family, but just not quite valiant enough to be born in the one and only twoo church. I mean, they'd get to have a normal life, not be part of a weird religion, get to marry the person of their choice, wear normal underwear, and when they die someone will do their work and they could end up in the same place as me. I just wanted to be normal and I knew we were so weird. I hated the curse of knowing "the truth."

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 11:32PM

I really think the proof of being special is being born with electricity and plumbing.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 12:12AM

Posted by: zzapp the witch ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 12:49AM

Blood spatter or angel kisses.....?

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 12:44AM

They find that insanely important for some reason.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 12:47AM

I was born into a GA family, but was born female in a male-dominated cult.

I was born into comfort and opportunity, but my brother was a large, evil 7-year-old, and already ruling over my family when I was born. He beat me and tortured me, until I escaped to BYU. I begged to go to summer camp, after-school activities, sports, service projects, tutoring, the library, the LDS cannery, etc., because I hated being home. I would find safety in the trees in the back yard, where he couldn't get to me.

Personally, I thought my life balanced out with the rest of middle-class Americans. My non-Mormon friends, my lovely neighborhood, my school life, summer jobs, were good. The evil was my brother, and the cult that, along with my parents, excused and enabled his abuse.

In my experience, most Mormon females feel like "lesser" spirits.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 02:54AM

The missionaries told me AFTER baptism I wasn't as valiant in the in the pre-existence and not even as valiant as some people who also were not born LDS.

1. I was born an orphan
2. I wasn't born in the USA
3. I couldn't prove I didn't have Black blood. (sick eh?)

I'm so glad to be out of that church.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 09:12PM

How rude of them to infer that you were less ‘worthy’ than they!

I knew nothing of the caste system in the preexistence (according to Mormon belief) until long after I had joined the church.

Yet another sick Mormon doctrine!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 09:13PM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: JoD3;360 ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 09:21PM

"...[I]n a broad sense, CASTE SYSTEMS have their root and origin in the gospel itself, and when they operate according to the DIVINE DECREE, the resultant RESTRICTIONS AND SEGREGATION ARE RIGHT AND PROPER and have the APPROVAL OF THE LORD. To illustrate: Cain, Ham, and the whole negro race have been cursed with a black skin, the mark of Cain, so they can be identified as A CASTE APART, a people with whom the other descendants of Adam should NOT INTERMARRY."

LDS "Apostle" Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, pp. 108-109, 1966 edition, emphasis added.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 10:03PM

...toward so many groups.

JoD, you must have a photographic memory. You always know exactly where the relevant damning quotes are to be found!

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 06:34AM

They all worked in a bakery/deli making, among other things, divinity and Angel Food Cake.

They wore funny outfits with baker's hats. In the pre-existence, the Lard actually was called "Lard" because that was one of the staples at the Spirit World Bakery and Deli.

They were promised that if they served well in the bakery that they would be born "white and delightsome, like unto lard and bleached, self-rising wheat". The self-rising part was particularly enticing as the promise was "..and you shall rise upon the first proofing like unto a Wonder Bread loaf, being white, delightsome, having little nutritional value nor taste, and shall rise toward the heavens in trailing clouds of yeast-smelling wheat dust".

It's true. Look it up. ;)

Ron

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 07:29AM

I was doomed from the start. That and I tan very easily in the sun. I may look white and delightsome but underneath it all lurks something else.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: October 27, 2010 12:44PM

Maybe that is why I never got store bought bread in my lunch? GGGGRRRRR

I know, I know, I prefer the homemade now, but I sure hated all the finger pointing and stares at lunchtime in Grade School. Plus, you try choking down 2 one inch slabs of whole wheat bread, with peanutbutter and honey between them! You have to sit by a creek, just to get enough water to wash it down!

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 08:07AM

I've never heard how the Mormons' belief that they were especially valiant in the pre-existence could be reconciled with Christ's teaching that the greatest among us must be the servant of the rest.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 08:10AM

Pretty much everything you do to prove your faithfulness here.
Obey without question.

Weird that Satan would start a war for promoting that ideal, no?

Would it have been okay if Jesus had promoted it first?

Would Satans plan have been okay if he said he would not take all the glory?

'cuz no matter how you slice it, Satans plan is the plan under which the faithful are currently yoked in Mormonism. You can't do anything without a HT,VT YM/YWprez, BP,SP,EQP,HPGL, neighbor relative or self calling you to repentance and meting out judgements designed to force you back inot the correct path.

You never say no to priesthood, you never decline a calling, you never teach outside the correlated regimen, and you never ask questions that may require deep thought.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 04:05PM

There was a thread about the boat/logs mentionedin the BoM, where one of the replies was: "I can't believe I use to believe nonense liket his, WTF was wrong with me".
I thought the samething often. I didn't know all I learned since I'm out, but enough to be embarrassed at what I DID believed! And yes! I believed the nonesense about having been valliant in the preexistance, therefore I was 'special'. One of the carrots the church dangles in front of us. I learned since, I'm no better or worse than anyone else on this planet and can relax.

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: October 27, 2010 12:31PM

Thats been puzzling me ever since I heard that story that got Satan kicked out of heaven......he thought human beings should not have free will so they could not go wrong.

Also, unlike Jesus, he did not offer to give God the credit for the idea. (And God is, as we know, a Jealous God)

I'm getting some cog dis on this - this is getting into some serious lunacy. So the Morg Church is following Satan's plan after all...but give all the credit to Jesus and God.

Small wonder that Satan is pissed.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 06:51PM

The only thing I did in the prelife, was half sex, and be ready for my earthly test.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 27, 2010 12:03PM

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 27, 2010 01:07PM

According to Christ (and orthodox Christianity), nobody is "worthy" of God's blessings. The mere idea that anyone is worthy of anything from God -- i.e., that God owes them anything -- is repugnant to God. For example, check out the parable of the pharisee and the tax collector in Matthew.

It is amazing that any church could spend so much time worrying about worthiness while overlooking this bedrock principle of Christiantity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.