Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 06:15PM

For those who haven't enjoyed this article yet...

I figured someone would actually do the research to put all this together...very interesting read

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/10/18/101018fa_fact_wilentz?currentPage=all

One snippet to tease you with:

"...Beck’s version of American history relies on lessons from his own acknowledged inspiration, the late right-wing writer W. Cleon Skousen, and also restates charges made by the Birch Society’s founder, Robert Welch....

...Still, the most outlandish of the era’s right-wing anti-Communists was not Welch but Willard Cleon Skousen. A transplanted Canadian who served as a Mormon missionary in his teens, Skousen was considered so radical in the early nineteen-sixties that even J. Edgar Hoover’s F.B.I. watched him closely; one 1962 memo in his extensive F.B.I. file noted that “during the past year or so, Skousen has affiliated himself with the extreme right-wing ‘professional communists’ who are promoting their own anticommunism for obvious financial purposes.” Skousen was himself employed by the F.B.I., from 1935 until 1951, much of that time as a special agent working chiefly in administration. These desk jobs, he claimed implausibly, gave him access to confidential domestic intelligence about Communism. Skousen also maintained that he had served as Hoover’s administrative assistant; Hoover informed inquirers that there was no such position.

Skousen taught for years in the speech and religion departments at Brigham Young University, interrupted by a stint, from 1956 to 1960, as the police chief of Salt Lake City. His time in office was contentious, and after he raided a friendly card game attended by the city’s right-wing mayor, J. Bracken Lee, he was promptly fired. Lee called Skousen “a master of half truths” and said that he ran the police department “like a Gestapo”; Skousen’s supporters placed burning crosses on the Mayor’s lawn...."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 06:21PM

I can't believe Skousen's crap is getting a second wave of attention. I would have thought that crap would have died out in the 70's- is was so far out even then (and my dad believed every word of it). He should have disappeared as a nobody.

Thanks to Brother Beck, curious angry and naive people will discover crazy Skousen all over again. Sigh.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 06:42PM

My thoughts exactly, Dagny. I'm amazed that this nonsense is getting a second life. I feel like I'm living back at my Dad's house too, seeing this stuff surface...and I don't like it one bit. The reality is though that crap like this can't withstand intense scrutiny...its foundation is too unstable, to say the least.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 06:50AM

WestBerkelyFlats posted the original link... The flaming crosses on the Mayor's lawn got me, and I asked a question I'll repeat, wondering how widespread of play the story of Spencer W. Kimball's banning of announcements about Skousen's organiztion received... I know at the time Kimball was church president, he lived across the street from J. Bracken Lee...

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,14263,14263#msg-14263

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.