Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 01:52PM

What % I wonder of TSCC has the surnames of a select group of families? You know, Jensen, Young, Hunter...

They can try and baptize new people from the world over, but the core of the church is a still small group of polygamous pioneers who went to Utah.

Except for Emma Smith, who didn't get on politcally with BY...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 03:22PM

No Smith? I guess that would be tough considering how common that Surname is.

McConkie seems to be a prominent name where I used to attend church (Central-Eastern Maryland). Pace McConkie who serves in the Columbia, Maryland stake who is a descendant of Bruce McConkie (who married a Smith) was a huge deal there.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 04:05PM

"No Smith?"

Yes, you would think that should common Utah name, but as I said, in the power "struggle" after JS bought the farm, Emma basically got booted out and went the "reorganized" path.

Pretty f'ed up for a religion that God restored, eh?

Date: September 04, 2017 04:12PM

Whoops! You did mention it! Sorry...

I'm curious as to whom those polygamous pioneers would be. Snow and Young for sure, I'm thinking.

Throughout my research of the Fundamentalist Mormons (which led me to leave TSCC), I've noticed those prominent names are:
Jeffs, Jessop, Barlow, Allred and possibly LeBaron depending on where you are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2017 04:34PM by severedpuppetstrings.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 10:06PM

severedpuppetstrings Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whoops! You did mention it! Sorry...
>
> I'm curious as to whom those polygamous pioneers
> would be. Snow and Young for sure, I'm thinking.
>
> Throughout my research of the Fundamentalist
> Mormons (which led me to leave TSCC), I've noticed
> those prominent names are:
> Jeffs, Jessop, Barlow, Allred and possibly LeBaron
> depending on where you are.

The AUB is also called the Allred group.....very prominent name there. Lots of descendants

The Jessops, Jeffs and Barlows are in the FLDS.....who are all mixed together from intermarriage.

The Jessops and Barlows go back to 2 Short Creek fundie fathers: John Barlow and Joseph Smith Jessop. They are really mixed/messed up. Two full Jessop daughters married 2 full Barlow brothers. I feel pretty confident those descendants are still there, still intermarrying each other. Sick.

The Lebarons, Kunz, Marstons, and Chynoweths married up....and killed one another too.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 10:54PM

On the wasatch front lots of people interact with the Kingston Clan on a daily basis and have no clue they are polygs.

Date: September 11, 2018 11:20AM

Hedning Wrote:
> On the wasatch front lots of people interact with
> the Kingston Clan on a daily basis and have no
> clue they are polygs.

True. Many try to blend in with the Salt Lake community so they will not be easily found. Some wives take on an alternate surname for the same reason.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 05:10PM

I'm surprised Taylor isn't a more prominent name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2017 05:37PM by janis.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: September 05, 2017 11:27AM

I once knew a direct male descendant of John Taylor. I somewhat jokingly asked him if his family was still plugged in to the power structure in Salt Lake.

He made a disgusted scowl on his face and sneered "No." I could tell it was a sore spot and didn't pry further.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 05:46PM

The Smith's that are prominent are Hyrum's side.

The Youngs seem to be pushed out.

Kimball doesn't seem as prominent anymore either.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 06:17PM

Christenson, Christensen, Christianson, Christiansen...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 12:38AM

I heard Christensen on some other exmo place. I don't know what it was. It was just recently.

I was thinking when I started reading this, "Is Christensen really mormon royalty?" Well, nobody told my family!!! I didn't know I was mormon royalty until I came to this web site.

My maiden name is Christensen and I love the name, and I am definitely NOT mormon royalty. I don't think my cousins and grandparents are either. I'm sure they were somewhere along the line, but we are all a pretty rebellious bunch. Me, being the least rebellious, find myself here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 12:38AM by cl2.

Date: September 09, 2018 10:56PM

Mormon joke from Cache Valley.

After announcing we will sing GOd Be With you for the Closing Song , whichafter Brother Jensen will give the benediction.

After the song, half of the men in the chapel start walking up to the pulpit to offer the prayer.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 06:24PM

Sorensen's seem to pop up quite a bit.

Posted by: uhhsoyeah ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 10:09PM

There are an awfully lot of Barlow's as well.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 05, 2017 12:21AM

I have always thought that it was the Prophets and their direct descendants. Like our own Steve Benson.

Is this interpretation too narrow?

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 06:39AM

I think you're right, catnip. Some of the prophets came from the original members and early pioneers, also. The longer the family has been linked to Mormonism, the more royal it is. I think a GA President's 1st and 2nd counselors' progeny would qualify, too:

Clark (J. Ruben)
Richards (Stephen and Willard)
Eyring (Henry, and his famous father)

I think of the above names, because they had buildings named after them at BYU. So, let's include as Royalty, anyone who has a BYU building named after them:

Wilkinson
Marriott
Knight

Or any TBM family that is very rich or famous:
Huntsman
Holding
Osmond (just famous)
Hatch
Christensen
Miller

Yeah, when the GA relative dies, the "Royal" standing is mitigated. That's what happened to my family. We're not a big deal, anymore. It's better to have a building named after you, if you want to be revered, after death.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 08:44PM

If I had any of those names, I would have it legally changed.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:46AM

My son's best friend in high school in Provo was a "Cannon." Cool kid--I hope he didn't grow up to be just like the rest of his family who made sure that everyone knew they were part of THOSE Cannon's (as in George Q., etc.) You'd think theirs was the most royal name in all the church.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 10:58PM

The only names I associated with Mormon royalty before RfM were the early Smith's up until Joseph died. His posterity led in succession in the RLDS for a very long time until near the end of the 20th century.

Now I see the GA and church presidents as wolves in sheep's clothing. Hardly an image of royalty in my mind's eyes. They're really good at fleecing the flock, if you know what I mean.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:08PM

There are also some Partridges as well, descendants of those actual Partridge sisters who were part of Joseph's harem. As you can imagine, the ones I knew were just as arrogant as you would expect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2018 11:08PM by doyle18.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:09PM

I wonder if they are related to the one in the pear tree.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 01:06AM

Posted by: Susan Dey ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 12:37AM

Yeah, The Partridge Family. I used to watch their TV show all the time when I was a kid. It was better than The Brady Bunch, and Laurie Partridge was way better looking than Marcia Brady.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:13PM

Growing up in Las Vegas, there was a triumvirate of mormon royal families: Stewart, Leavitt & Bunker.

...never did get to date a Leavitt girl...

Date: September 09, 2018 10:59PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 10:12AM

There were also some Jacksons, Christensens, and my grandmother's maiden name, Hardy like in my book.

After moving to Arizona, I met Shumways and Snows.

I once read that a huge number of mainstreamers and plygs were named Allred although I only knew Allreds in plyg groups.

Date: August 17, 2018 03:18AM

Yes, many of the well-known plyg family names are also in TSCC. Not all the descendants stuck with the fundies..... Same names in Utah are also down in Mexico, the plyg family factions: Romney, Allred, Spencer,Brown, Black,etc...

Date: September 11, 2018 11:17AM

lisadee Wrote:
> Yes, many of the well-known plyg family names are
> also in TSCC. Not all the descendants stuck with
> the fundies..... Same names in Utah are also down
> in Mexico, the plyg family factions: Romney,
> Allred, Spencer,Brown, Black,etc...

I was going to post something on that. I live in Maryland, and went attended a ward in a suburb of Baltimore. We've had a few Barlows (famous in the FLDS and maybe Centennial Park) and Allreds (considered royalty in the AUB).

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 12:56PM

Eldon Tanner was a shirttail relative through marriage on my dad's side.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:30PM

He's a the first cousin of my great grandfather Hugh Brown. I guess we are shirttail related!

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 08:10PM

Brown the Commie? I'm sure he was a nice man though, I knew one of his grandnieces they seriously had problems, all things they got themselves into, it's hard to feel sorry for them.

Date: September 09, 2018 07:20PM

Pratt
Cannon
Nibley

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 09:28PM

Cardon
Malan
Stapely
and anyone named Craig or Blake, apparently.

Posted by: KatieMB ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 11:18AM

"Craig" as in the family that Marie Osmond married into more than once?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 10:56PM

Didn't see Kimball or Richards

Posted by: Afraid of Mormons ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 11:17PM

Covey--just because of their money.

Bangerter

Pratt

Perry

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:40AM

Growing up, there was another family in our ward named Young who were NOT related to us--his grandparents had been German immigrants who anglicized their surname, Jung, when they got here.

For most of us from these families, there's a fair bit of overlap too. In addition to Young, I'm Rich (Charles Coulson, who my oldest brother is named after. His granddaughter Sarah Dearmon is my great-grandmother), Hatch (younger brother named for Ransom), and Thatcher through my grandmother. Interestingly, her older sister also married a Young, but from an unrelated family from Ohio.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 02:27AM

Did Emma have a diary? I would love to read her point of view on things back then.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 09:34AM

Eldon Tanner was a shirttail cousin of my dad's....hmmm

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 09:41AM

The letters W, B, S, and M have sacred significance over the past 24 years. They are the sacred middle initials of the greatest seers, greatest revelators, and greatest prophets of the past quarter century. Oh and don't forget the letter H for the Holy Crown Prince who used to sit on the Utah Supreme Court and be president before the holy non-Dodo Jeffrey R. Holland of a very sacred brand name BYU (whose prominence proves that all those glorious 19th century teachings of its namesake were absolutely unchangeable eternal sacred doctrines in our beloved wondrous gospel) before he became a mighty revelator and seer.

Date: September 13, 2018 05:15PM

Another fundie name is Spencer.

And other Spencers are TBM.

Date: September 13, 2018 05:17PM

The Canadian fundies:

Blackmore

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 02:33PM

EVERY "Shumway" I have ever known or heard of is Mormon.
Also, because of 1970's LDS royal names in leadership, during the next 15 years, MANY parents named their boys either Tanner or Dallin......go figure!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 10:50PM

I am a Christensen, but I never was treated like mormon royalty. My ex is a Parkinson, meaning I'm now a Parkinson. NEVER EVER liked that name, but I'll keep it because my kids are Parkinsons (in name).

My boyfriend is a Taylor. He is not a mormon. His great grandfather was a mormon for a time and his first name is John, but not that John Taylor. I've posted about him before. He left Utah and the mormons, and went back to Ohio.

I can't believe how many Parkinsons there are. I think they beat out Christensens in Cache Valley. I haven't a clue who "we" are related to and I get asked if I'm related to whoever every time I say my name to somebody. (A polygamist Parkinson helped settle Franklin, Idaho, so there are a lot around here.)

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: September 15, 2018 02:05AM

Huntsman

Herbert

Hatch

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 15, 2018 04:41AM

Yes. There definitely is a set of "royal lines".

I remember one time applying for a teaching job in Utah valley. The position had been publicly announced and involved some tests and interviews. I took the test. The test giver, who had handled the testing for the relevant institution for quite some time, privately told me afterward that I had done better than anyone he'd tested before. I was pretty happy to hear that and was thinking that the interview was pretty much just a final formality that stood between me and a job I really wanted at that time. (I couldn't think of anything that would come up in the interview that would be anything but helpful to me.)

Well, it turned out that not only was the interview a formality (but not in the way I expected), but so was everything else...the public job announcement, the test, etc.

The interviewer didn't even bother asking me any questions. He did observe that I had gotten an excellent score on the testing and had the necessary credentials. He then told me that unfortunately (for me) the job was being held open for someone who was "out in the mission field," but would be returning in about a month. This person had a name that was quite prominent in Utah, including one or two General Authorities, a famous authors, and so on.

Needless to say, the person in question had just called ahead and said that he'd like the job when he got back to Utah. No test, no interview required. Just a well-connected guy with a famous Mormon name. Turned out that the job announcement just had to be put out in public to satisfy some regulations.

I guess a lot of the best jobs are actually filled that way. They just need suckers like me responding to their announcements to provide window dressing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.