Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 11:30AM

If Hatch retires.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/11/mitt-romney-plans-utah-senate-run-if-orrin-hatch-r/

I nominate the Mittster for Postmaster General (only one star, though).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 12:16PM

Ready the white horse!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 12:21PM

Is mitt from Utah ?
Is Orrin Hatch from Utah ?

How come these out-of-state carpetbaggers love to run for Utah political offices ?

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 12:24PM

I read that Mitt has moved to Utah for the sake of his wife's health. She does some kind of therapy there because that is where the therapist resides.

No problem with getting out of Utah as needed. Pretty sure he still has his three or more homes elsewhere.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 05:51PM

"I read that Mitt has moved to Utah for the sake of his wife's health. She does some kind of therapy there because that is where the therapist resides."

Let me rephrase this....Romney moved to Utah...SPECIFICALLY for this Senate seat...I find it hard to believe that his wife could ONLY get her special medical treatment here...they have plenty of medical providers on the East Coast, where they spent way more time.

Like Ms. Rodham moving to NY specifically to establish residency to run for the Senate there...in a state she knew nothing about. I would have understood if she ran for Senator in Illinois or Arkansas, being she has lived there and knows/knew the landscape..

Now...back to our current Senator Hatch...He is dangling that seat in front of Romney, basically saying that if he (Romney) won't run for it, then Hatch will...again.

That Senate seat is not Hatch's to give away, it belongs to the people of Utah to decide...

I am not a democrat and only voted for 1 democrat...ever, this may just push me that way...

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 07:33PM

Pooped Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty sure he still has his three or more homes
> elsewhere.

Mexico? He||, he may have three or more wives down there! ;)

Posted by: ProvoX ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 04:35AM

Name recognition
Name recognition of their church, anyway...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 12:28PM

Where is Mittney registered to vote?

(IS Mittney registered to vote?)

First he denigrates DT, then after Drumph wins, he goes begging for an appointment in D's administration...

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 12:28PM

I wonder if their home in the San Diego area was completed? You know, the one with the elevator for cars?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 11:17AM

memikeyounot Wrote:
> I wonder if their home in the San Diego area was
> completed? You know, the one with the elevator for
> cars?

It was. Expanded from 3,000 sq. ft. to 11,000 sq. ft. The car elevator is still there.

There were rumors Mittens would sell the thing after completing the renovation, but that apparently was contingent on him winning the election. He didn't sell it. It's currently off the market.

Posted by: anonananon ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 12:29PM

I'll trade you Mike Madigan for Mitt. Ooops. Wrong party.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 03:13PM

Your source for this story is the Washington Times. Since this site is about recovery from cults, I should tell you that I have refused to read or have anything to do with the Washington Times since Rev Sun Myung Moon (yes, of Moonies fame) bought the paper in the late 1980's. He turned it into a very hard right wing rag. His primary goal was to influence American politics. I believe that this was after he served his sentence for tax evasion.

Moonie paper writing an article about a Mormon running for Senate. Hmmm.

Date: September 11, 2017 11:17PM

Sun Myung Moon did not buy the Washington Times and turn it into a hard-right daily: he founded it in 1982, for the express purpose of having a strong anti-Communist organ to compete against the Washington (com)Post. OF COURSE he wanted to influence American politics!

Rich people of various religious and ideological persuasions like to own newspapers:

Mort Zuckerman: US News & Daily Report, NY Daily News (recently sold for $1.00)
Carlos Slim:: Major owner of the NY Slimes
John Henry, Hedge Fund operator, primary owner of the Boston Red Sox: the Boston Globe
Mary Baker Eddy: The Christian Science Monitor (once called, "the newspaper that everybody respects, but nobody reads; now on-line).
Jeff Bezos: Washington Post
William Randolph Hearst: Starting with the San Francisco Daily Examiner, and many, many more

So what's the big deal? Of course it's a conservative-slanted paper, just as the Washington (com)Post is liberal. That doesn't mean it's vile or wrong, unless conservativism is, ipso facto, morally wrong. Read the NY Slimes if you prefer.

As a matter of fact, I DO read the liberal press. Two or three times a week, I go into a coffee shop and scoop up the newspaper discards (for free!). I found a fascinating article on NY Taxi industry I'll have to get to SL Cabbie. And, once or twice a week, I subject myself to a couple of hours of National Propaganda Radio. Heck, I'm so old, I remember when Garrison Keillor was funny!

Fun Fact: Back in the 80s, I was involved in a conservative non-profit, and somebody from the local Unification cult called me, saying they wanted to give me an award of some kind or another. I turned them down.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 04:14AM

Who's Garrison Keillor?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 04:14AM

Sorry. Low-hanging fruit.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 11:45PM

I learned to distrust the Moonies long before I had any exposure to Mormonism. My primary problem with the paper is that it serves the purposes of the Moonies.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 03:48PM

one more reason why I will not move to Utah

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 03:54PM

As a Utahn, I have little or no use for most of the R. representatives who "represent" us.

They get people to run like the last race in Utah county where one of the candidates was the son of Danny F**King Ainge. He was able to run just because of who his dad is. He didn't win, which is good.

I think if Mitt runs here, he'll make it harder for Rob Bishop, Chris Stewart and Mia Love to run for senator. They do virtually nothing as representatives now.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 06:27PM

I think Mitt still has a home in Deer Valley and that is where he is registered to vote.

And the Romney family has DEEP ties to Utah. Mitt may not have lived here, but he has deep ties. He must be a direct descendant of Marion G Romney, yes or no?

Posted by: gordongrant ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 09:18PM

Mitt and Marion G. are 1st cousins, 1x removed.
Mitt's dad, George and Marion were 1st cousins. Common ancestor was their grandfather, Miles Park Romney (1843-1904).

Date: September 11, 2017 07:30PM

Mitt was born in Michigan; wiki lists his residence as Utah.

I believe a person (involved in politics) should be registered to vote WHERE THEY LIVE, as in San Diego for some.

just sayin'

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 07:34PM

Mitt is shameless. At least he's not a quitter...unfortunately

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 07:35PM by nomonomo.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 08:44PM

Well I think it's clear that Hatchie will die in his seat just like a poopy prophet.

The spectre of a not too unlikely disqualification of the sitting VP making him suddenly el Presidente is before his eye theses days.

Visualize a bony old white horse with a bony old jackass astride.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 08:46PM by Shummy.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 11:26PM

You mooned the Moonies lol.

Date: September 11, 2017 11:29PM

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 03:06AM

I think Mitt and Utah are made for each other.

Date: September 12, 2017 11:30AM

Has Mittney bowed to the "food-supplement" & MLM industries in Ew-tah yet?
That would be helpful info...

I can envision DRUMPH 'welcoming' Mittens to the Senate with one hand while grabbing the genitals of the nearest woman with the other...

Date: September 12, 2017 12:04PM

GNPE Wrote:
> ...while grabbing the genitals
> of the nearest woman with the other...

Oh come on! I'm no fan of Romney, but he's never been associated with that kind of misbehavior. We want to watch conflating our issues and assuming that just because somebody is Mormon, he is probably "this" or "that."

Date: September 12, 2017 12:06PM

caffiend Wrote:
> Oh come on! I'm no fan of Romney, but he's never
> been associated with that kind of misbehavior. We
> want to watch conflating our issues and assuming
> that just because somebody is Mormon, he is
> probably "this" or "that."

The reference there was to the current president, not Mittens.
The current president *has* been associated with that sort of misbehavior.

Date: September 12, 2017 01:02PM

"Associated?" Or seriously accused by credible victims, like Juanita Broadderick, Kathleen Willey, Kathy Shelton, Paula Jones, Monica Lewinsky,Gennifer Flowers, Dolly Browning, Sally Purdue?

Date: September 12, 2017 01:14PM

IF U care to recall, it was words from D's pie hole that revealed him as a (female) genital grabber...

'When you're a celebrity, you can get away with Anything'... something close to that.

Date: September 12, 2017 01:29PM

He was vulgar, yes. He didn't tell Billy Bush he did it--just that THEIR celebrity status allowed them to get away with it.

#42 was a serial predator, from his days as state Attorney General on. And his wife supervised the "Bimbo Eruption Unit."

Date: September 12, 2017 01:43PM

C:

Praytell WHY would anyone other than a predator would CARE what their celebrity status would allow or 'justify'?

Makes my head spin, I'll tell ya.

Date: September 12, 2017 01:46PM

However, back to the OP:

Trump carried Utah, and I'm sure mittens would also.
End of Report.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 02:52PM

Way to rationalize your bias towards Trump. How exactly would he know that their celebrity status allowed than to get away with it unless he had done it and got away with it. Morally IMV two peas in a pod.

Date: September 14, 2017 09:38AM

caffiend Wrote:
> "Associated?" Or seriously accused by credible
> victims, like Juanita Broadderick, Kathleen
> Willey, Kathy Shelton, Paula Jones, Monica
> Lewinsky,Gennifer Flowers, Dolly Browning, Sally
> Purdue?

I was being kind.
If you remember, he was recorded saying how much he loved grabbing women's genitals, and walking around his pageants in the dressing rooms seeing the women naked, and bragged how he could get away with those things because he's rich and/or famous.

So, yes -- "associated." And self-convicted, by his own words and actions. No accusers needed.

Interesting how you tried to distract from whether or not the current president was an asshat by bringing up somebody else. Which is, of course, irrelevant as to the current president's words and actions. Are there others, including former presidents, who were also asshats? Yep. Does that take anything away from the current president's asshattedness? Nope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 09:40AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: September 15, 2017 12:02AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> caffiend Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> Interesting how you tried to distract from whether
> or not the current president was an asshat by
> bringing up somebody else. Which is, of course,
> irrelevant as to the current president's words and
> actions. Are there others, including former
> presidents, who were also asshats? Yep. Does
> that take anything away from the current
> president's asshattedness? Nope.

My point is that if there's a "D" after the name, the malfeasance gets minimized, downplayed, or outright ignored by the (so-called) legacy press. Seattle Mayor Ed Murray didn't make the national news until a FIFTH accuser--a relative!--came forward. Only then did he resign. And Slick Willy's record goes back to his days as Attorney General. And let's not overlook who organized the campaigns of suppression, denial, obfuscation, vilification and intimidation to keep his dalliances with partners (willing and not willing) out of the public eye.

"Different rules for different folks."

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 09:33PM

He can run, he may win, but --

The Congress is becoming more polarised. Moderates are leaving.

He'd have to play ball with the far right extremists and nationalists.

Remember all of the evangelical angst about a Mormon presidential candidate?

The victory may not be what he expects.

Date: September 12, 2017 10:34PM

Trump's election looks to be a major reshuffling of the usual political alignments. Just think: We have a mostly unified Democratic opposition to him in Congress, aided by liberal "Establsihment" Republicans (Ryan, McConnell, Snow, Collins, Flake, etc.) Then Trump by-passes his party leadership and works out a debt deal on the side with Pelosi and Schumer. Trump invited three vulnerable Democrats (Joe Manchin (D-WV) Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND) Joe Donnelly (D-IN) to a small policy dinner at the White House. This may be a fluke, but it shows usual party and ideological alliances may be cracking.

If Romney comes in, I'd expect him to assess the political landscape afresh, with his utility to LDS image and interests prominent (if not foremost) in mind. I can see him working with the ideological Right (e.g. Tim Scott, Tom Cotton) as easily as I can see him cozying up to McConnell and Schumer.

The burr in the saddle blanket: There is enmity between Trump and Romney, especially after Trump (heh-heh!) dangled Secretary of State and yanked it away.

The election of Roy Moore (Alabama) and Kelli Ward (Arizona, ousting Flake) would strength Trump's hand considerably.

Date: September 13, 2017 05:13PM

In Utah the Brethren are the kingmakers, not people like Steve Bannon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 05:18PM by anybody.

Date: September 14, 2017 11:17AM

Date: September 15, 2017 06:12PM

xenophobic white Christian nationalists that Bannon claims to represent

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 05:09PM

Utah is going to have Pub senators anyway, so I'd rather it be Mitt than another Mike Lee.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 06:47PM

Jason F#ckface Chavetz is about to get elbowed out. :)

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 09:55AM

I still think he's a robot or mobot.

Date: September 16, 2017 12:30AM

When does Hatch's current term come up for (re)election?

Date: September 16, 2017 01:22AM

To whet your appetite, the opening lines:

"The bad news is, it looks like Willard M. Romney is running for political office again.
The good news is, he’s not doing it here in Massachusetts."

https://howiecarrshow.com/mitt-romney-wont-fade-away-quietly/

Mitt probably thinks of his fresh foray into politics as "noblesse oblige." To me, it smacks of "Le droit du seigneur."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.