Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 12:02PM

It appears that Marriott chartered a ferry to get their own paying guest out of the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The way DAILY MAIL tells it, there was room for an additional 1300
passengers on said ferry.
But Marriott would only take their own guests and refused to help the 35 Americans who had been staying at other hotels.

Remember, they were in the U.S.Virgin Islands already,so these 35 people were not illegals.

Ah,Mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 12:11PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 12:26PM

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 03:54PM

Do you realize how much profits it would cost Marriott Corporation and thus reduce tithing inflows for God's true Church if they were to allow those 35 people, probably all of them are wicked non-Mormons who would just use such complimentary courtesy services of Marriott to engage in wicked lifestyles? First and foremost, the temple covenants take precedence.

Posted by: I agree ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 10:28AM

I have to back Marriot on this one.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 11:17AM

I agree Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have to back Marriot on this one.

Really?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 11:43AM

I agree Wrote:
> I have to back Marriot on this one.

Why?

What is the rationale, as you see it??

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 10:40AM

Does marriott still have book of mormons (books of mormon ?) in their rooms ? I can never get the plural of BoM correct.

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 11:46AM

only hotel guests get the curbside shuttle van/ minibus
or bused from the hotel to the airport; everyone else had to ride a rental car or pay for a taxi or even drive their oen vehicle and pay for airport parking.

their employees are used to this model; they may even have been attempting to just get paying guests off site tonrelease them of liability regarding dangerous conditions or damages which coukd be incurred on site due to storm damage health risk the company didnt want to be liable for.

is there an implicit humanitarian decree or dogma that makes every air plane or water craft public domaine internationally in refugee or political instability regeime change earth quake or storm devastation? i dont know at all, for instance the United Nations are sending high nutrient density biscuits; some cruise ship lines that ferry thousands and thousands of tourists through docked one ship at one island to help (which is a pittance compared to how they used the local place really- it was the destination and means for all their profts, the object sold ) so tgats a really limited community service, unless its a very very small island need to look into it.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 11:54AM

Even ICE said that immigration status would not factor in their work during the storm--they would assist in rescue and support. "All hands on deck" means that all other agendae, issues, priorities, grudges, etc. are put aside for the task at hand.

Reminds me of the scene in Titanic where passengers in steerage were gated out of a certain passageway, usually restricted to First Class. I wonder if that actually happened; anybody know? I remember a song from camp, which had the line,

"So they locked them down below,
Where they were the first to go..."

(Bet most of you old-timers know it, "Oh it was sad, Lord, sad, when the great ship went down (to the bottom of the...")

Imagine the PR disaster if any of those 35 died in the storm!

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 12:25PM

Oh I didnt understand that! thank you for filling me in. I didnt even know what all hands on deck meant.

I didnt know there was any place or time businesses did this - they legally pitch folks posessions into the snow out of apartments and houses all over America ... I knew people drag others getting people out from under collapsed rubble, out of fire, or out of standing water , but then they dont feed them they leave them on sidewalks with or without tents, I see them in bushes without tents on dirt. and in tents on concrete sidewalks in Sacramento. Theres no transport provided no food nothing. anyone with sufficient illness exits employment can live or die upon the sidewalk in my town & shekters are full they turn folks away.

maybe this reality confused the corporate executives or Mariot management. because adults in america arent fed or housed after personal crisis perhaps it confused them too. All hands on deck?
thats a new one to me, never heard it in central inland valley cali corporate farmed migrant worker based prosperity all my life. All hands on deck?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 13, 2017 12:46PM

"All hands on deck"

Everyone to work; especially during a storm or emergency when sails and ropes need to furled and/or tied; one item not taken care of could mean loss of the entire ship (or loss of life on another ship being rescued).

Date: September 13, 2017 01:17PM

If you're talking about the homeless in Sacramento, or some place, "Painting," then that's an on-going problem with many interconnecting issues--another conversation. Regarding the rescue of people during a catastrophe, the availability of shelters and transportation will vary wildly, according many fast-breaking factors.

My point is that emergency services must over-ride other issues, even laws and property. Example: when Capt. "Sully" Sullenberger soft-crashed his plane on the Hudson River, every vessel in the area abandoned its task and headed for the rescue of passengers--a successful response. (Good movie, too!)

Another example: A person stranded in desperate straits in the wilderness is legally and morally allowed to break into private promises in pursuit of shelter and provisions. Repair and compensation can be worked out later.

The actions of the responsible parties are despicable. The Coast Guard (I suppose) should undertake an investigation and identify the actual offenders. I usually object to cries of "FIRE THE BASTARD!" when somebody louses up--it's a career, after all, people do make mistakes--but not in the case. Some person(s) need to be fired.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 04:43PM

Sometimes the rules are made to be broken.

This would be one of those times.

I very much doubt there would be legal jeopardy or liability on the part of the Marriott ferry transporting Americans to safety.

It's the mindset of protocol over safety that leaves people wondering what exactly they were thinking, and to whom they have a duty.

Date: September 15, 2017 05:05PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Sometimes the rules are made to be broken.
>
> This would be one of those times.

At the risk of semantic quibbling, AmyJo, I frame it in the sense of "Law" and "Higher Law." Property rights, which would include the personal or corporate use of a vessel, are part of legitimate and universal Law.

But preservation of life is a Higher Law.

Another application of Higher Law was established at the Nuremberg War Trials, when Nazi criminals defended themselves, saying "they were just following orders." They were found guilty by Allied War Tribunals, who asserted that they were bound to disobey military law because of the imperatives of Higher (humanitarian) Law.

This is nothing novel or recent. The concept is found in the US Declaration of Independence, which refers to "the laws of Nature and Nature's God," and the famous sentence,"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Back to the OP: Heads should roll, including the Harbor Master and the vessel's captain--anybody responsible for preventing people from boarding.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 05:09PM

German Mormons were complicit in sending Jews and others to their death in Nazi Germany. Their excuse? They were simply following protocol.

The same protocol that encompasses "the road to hell is paved with not so good intentions."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.