Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: omergod ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 01:01AM

Whenever I visited Salt Lake City, I could never get anyone to attend the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I am unsure if it was this or that, however, nobody wants to go see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
Please, just inform if you believe someone should not go.
KSL is a racist organization that only hires Russian ambassador family members or whatever?
That's what Donald Trump's organization is with the Huntsman chemical.
Perhaps the Huntsman Chemical Corporation will next post a TRUMP on the Salt Lake City temple.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 01:20AM

Or perhaps not.

Your hallucinogens are powerful.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 01:36AM

I agree with HBE, but a couple of MoTab th rd ring my bell:

Deep River & Columbia Gem of the Ocean to name 2...

there might b 1 or 2 others, but NONE ABOUT RELIGION!

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 02:03AM

Bigger is not better. This applies to choirs and buildings.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 06:13PM

I saw an organ recital in the Salt Lake Tabernacle that was splendid. Classical music with deep, rolling bass. My Mormon family waited outside for me.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 06:34PM

Short answer: yes.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 06:37PM

Yes. Yes you are.

:)

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 07:53PM

Their music is okay. But I can't ignore the "Mormon" in "Mormon Tabernacle Choir," so I can't stand listening to them.

More--and maybe it's just me--since I left Mormonism, they come across as typically Mormon arrogant and smug, communicating that THEY have some unique hold on truth. I know they don't, so the smugness is even more abrasive.

Posted by: Andrew R. ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 08:07AM

'But I can't ignore the "Mormon" in "Mormon Tabernacle Choir,"'

That just seems a bit extreme to me.

I am an active LDS member, however, if there was a choir of married gay men - called "The Same-Sex Married Choir" - and they were good I would have no problem listening to them.

A person's (or group of people's) beliefs and life-style shouldn't affect our feelings in relation to their abilities, talents, etc.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 08:25AM

Andrew R. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'But I can't ignore the "Mormon" in "Mormon
> Tabernacle Choir,"'
>
> That just seems a bit extreme to me.
>
> I am an active LDS member, however, if there was a
> choir of married gay men - called "The Same-Sex
> Married Choir" - and they were good I would have
> no problem listening to them.
>
> A person's (or group of people's) beliefs and
> life-style shouldn't affect our feelings in
> relation to their abilities, talents, etc.

So to your thinking, if, say, the KKK had a choir, you'd enjoy their music based on talent alone? I couldn't.

I am not equating the LDS church with the KKK. But I am illustrating that to my thinking, my enjoyment of someone's artistic talents is very much shaped by the values the group espouses. And given that the LDS church defrauded my family and me (and thousands of others) of decades of time and money, I can't look past that and just listen to the music.

(And I'm sure you don't see as remarkable your selection of a group of gay married men as those whose beliefs and lifestyles you disagree with.)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:51AM

This is a very unusual choir that handles some very good music very well.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:52AM

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:52AM

You're one of a very small number around here.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:56AM

I don't care for th,eir style, though I do have their patriotic cd.
It has all of the military service songs on it. I cracked up and was laughing for a long time when they got to the US Air Force song. Instead of " off one helluva roar " , they sang " off one terrible roar ". It was so funny. Why do they have to change the lyrics?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 01:16AM

When I a kid, when I'd get angsty, I'd pull out the MoTab Choir & Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra four record, eight side version of Handel's Messiah and listen to the whole thing. I thought it was a bit of heaven.

But now I know better. The best version I've found, on YouTube, features the King's College Choir, Cambridge, (32 males, men and boys) and the Brandenburg Consort, about half the size of the Philadelphia orchestra. Those 32 kids and men have a purity that I never heard in the 360 member MoTab choir. It's no contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZbAezrBBYw

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 12:29AM

elderolddog Wrote:
Those 32 kids and men
> have a purity that I never heard in the 360 member
> MoTab choir. It's no contest.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZbAezrBBYw

Plus its more authentic to the original.

LOL!!! my anti bot code for this message was GDBKP

Date: September 29, 2017 01:24AM

anonculus Wrote:

>
>
>
> LOL!!! my anti bot code for this message was GDBKP
>

It's what we all hope for BKP!!!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 02:02AM

I like watching them. They make nice Disney covers. You can tell they really like being there. That's the thing, regardless of their beliefs, which are their problem, they like what they're doing in the Tab.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 02:18AM

I still love the music of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Living in the deep south, I have had only one opportunity in my life to see/hear the choir in person: June of 2002, when they performed on temple hill at the dedication of the rebuilt Nauvoo temple.

I was still TBM at the time, and my husband and I felt privileged to have landed two tickets to the Nauvoo temple dedication. Saturday night after the last dedicatory session, the MoTab choir performed a free concert at sunset on the hill.

They filmed Music and the Spoken World on that hillside that Saturday night. It was so wonderful, listening to the beautiful music with the sun slowly setting behind the choir and behind the temple building itself.

Say what you will about TSCC, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is one good thing to come out of that institution, IMHO.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 03:19AM

Did they expect her to admit it if she did have a hidden weapon?

Posted by: gordongrant ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 06:14AM

The Tab Choir is technically superb and the music they produce is amazing—for what it is. I make a point of seeing a broadcast or a rehearsal on the occasions I am in SLC. But I go to admire and enjoy the excellence of their technical skills. I don't find their performances interesting or especially entertaining.

They are, quite frankly...boring. Their style is dated. Their performances are restrained, rigid, and formulaic. One song pretty much sounds like the next. The music selected and the arrangements used are, like so much in Mormonism, safe, traditional, and in the final analysis, joyless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 06:21AM by gordongrant.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:38AM

They are not BAD, but seriously over-hyped by Mormons and among Mormons. They aren't a testiment to the "truthfulness of the Gospel" or any of that crap. There are far better choirs in many parts of the world, including the German Youth Choir of Dresden. The Tabernacle choir also has a mandate to convert people, so they are as guilty as any in the LDS church's game of bait-and-switch.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:46AM

Watching the mormon fishing tackle choir is like where's Waldo. Try to spot the black person.

Date: September 26, 2017 11:48AM

Yeah! I'm sure they give the conference cameraman a map....

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:56AM

I am very biased when it comes to the MoTab. While I dislike their mormony religious music, their other music such as patriotic songs, folk songs, and Christmas music, I very much enjoy. You see, my mom was in the choir for many years and for that reason, I have a very tender spot in my heart for them.

While I remember her never being around on Sunday mornings and one night a week for their practice, I enjoyed being able to see her occasionally on television. When the choir went on tour, there were extra practices and then her being gone for days or weeks at a time. Some of the stories she shared when she returned were sometimes very amusing. She usually brought back gifts when she was allowed time to shop. I still have some of those but my cherished one is a hand-carved wood statue from Brazil.

My mom has been gone for several years and I cherish those gifts.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:25PM

Just last night, for some reason, I clicked on a YouTube tab and listened to their "Battle Hymn of the Republic," very good with their in-house orchestra. Their version with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia is definitive.

Also excellent, on an old vinyl of mine, is their Schubert "Lord's Prayer." Then there's their Messiah, which leaves me atwitter. And their "O Holy Night" (with organ) would give even "IfICouldFlyToKolob" goosebumps.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 12:25AM

Saw Mahler's 6th in Philly. Blew my hair back.

Is loving MoTab akin to Bernstein conducting Wagner in Vienna?

Posted by: anonsometimes ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 03:29PM

You couldn't pay me to watch the mormon tabernacle choir, mainly because on a moral basis I don't support organizations with that kind of background, teachings & practices. So, yes I believe that one shouldn't go.

Posted by: omergod ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 12:17AM

They are very cool in my book

I am kinda angry with everything

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is really cool, and I feel the spirit there

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 01:02AM

Maybe you just like choral music. What other choirs have you tried?

Motab's huge size is for visual appeal. They look impressive but it degrades the sound You know, kinda like the ASU marching band :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.