Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Michael Stafford ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 12:41AM

The mormon churches clergy are have extremely high pay for an unpaid clergy. The First President, quorum of the 12 apostles, the first quorum of the seventy, and the second qurom of the seventy are all paid. They are also all men by the way. Not even general relief society president receives a penny in pay.

According to mormon leaks, their base pay in 2014 was $120,000. They also receive a pay raise of about 3% per year putting their current pay at about $131,000. This isn't including their housing allowance, or the extra pay they get just for having kids, putting their actual pay is significantly higher.

This also isn't counting benefits like Healthcare, free cars, and Monson's private airplane, etc. As well as other sources of income such as book royalties from books people only buy because they are general authorities. Their pay is significantly more than double that of American mormons. Including mormons in 3rd world countries who also pay tithing to fund their lifestyle, the difference is larger.

They didn't even release this information telhemselves. They tried to hide it and claim they don't get paid at all.

I wonder if they even pay tithing themselves on that money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Stafford ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 12:44AM

Well, not we'll. I hate autocorrect. Nearly all of my spelling mistakes are always because of it. I swear it makes more mistakes than it corrects.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 01:11AM

Michael Stafford Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, not we'll. I hate autocorrect.

Yeah, and I hate autocrats, which brings us back to the OP's point...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 03:29PM

Autocorrect: fuss that fussing shirt.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:17AM

Autocorrect can go to he'll.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 02:10AM

Compared to a similarly sized corporation, the pay for the guys at the top is actually modest. The church sees transparency as irrelevant. To the obedient masses, it should be none of their business. Nice work if you can get it.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 02:45AM

Does the general president of the Young Men's organization receiv pay? I don't like asking my dad this sort of a question because he always thinks I'm looking for things about the church to criticize. Often I am, but it's beside the point.

Posted by: Micharl Stafford ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 08:49AM

None of the auxiliary leaders get paid even though they are full time.

The churches executive pay should not be compared to for profit corportions unless they are a for profit corporation. They should only be compared to other churches, and maybe charities as well. Most of the other churches are completely transparent and never claimed to have an unpaid clergy. The apostles also claim to live modestly, which isn't true at all.

The apostles in the bible left behind their riches when they became apostles. Even Lehi and Nephi from the BoM had to leave their riches. Mormon apostles gain riches when they get called.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 09:58AM

Micharl Stafford Wrote:
> The apostles in the bible left behind their riches
> when they became apostles.

Fishermen had "riches?"

I'm with azsteve: the biggest issue isn't how much they're paid, it's that the church hides their pay and lies about it.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:38AM

I agree. They use words like modest to make it seem less that it really is. That's dishonest IMO.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 09:51AM

It is not the amount of money that is being paid that is the issue here. The church members are being lied to or at least intentionally misled. A church member who struggles to get by on an annual salary of $20K/yr may think "surely, his stipend is about the same or less than what I make", as they pay tithing. Then when the GA makes another $200K/yr selling books (trading on their position as a GA) the church member thinks "see, he was a successful businessman to begin with". In both cases, the church member believes something that is not true because of carefully crafted wording and "faith promoting" lies. This situation is immoral. If the church members can't have access to know what the GA makes, no tithing should ever be paid by anyone. It is immoral to take advantage of the naivity of others, to exploit them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 09:52AM by azsteve.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 09:57AM

They dont pay tithing, now dont fall out of your seat.

Date: October 03, 2017 09:59AM

And i heard some apostles are in the seven digits not sure if thats true or not but probably is.

Date: October 03, 2017 10:04AM

badassadam Wrote:
> And i heard some apostles are in the seven digits
> not sure if thats true or not but probably is.

With book revenue, it's certainly likely.

Posted by: jaxson ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 03:29PM

I believe Eyring's leaked pay stub indicated he paid tithing.

Posted by: nolongercounted ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 01:08PM

Please don’t overlook the money saving benefit of free tuition for GA children at Gods university. All paid for by struggling families and widows eager to purchase a seat in heaven. Simply blind obedience to self-serving bigots.

Date: October 03, 2017 01:12PM

Does anybody really learn anything at that university? i have always been curious. What could you possibly learn when everything is bias?

Date: October 03, 2017 03:18PM

You learn how to be an obedient and faithful mormon.

Well, you *can* learn that.
Some (like our own elderolddog) came away having learned a different lesson...get out! :)

Date: October 03, 2017 08:18PM

I think you meant get the f#ck out!! Everybody seems to meet their eternal companion there apparantly, maybe i should go there.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 11:30PM

I will tell you what.....You
learn to be a BYU BONER!!!!!!

Date: October 04, 2017 01:03AM

Well lets ask the boner what he learned exactly. Boner what did you learn at BYU? I will put it on the new topic as well maybe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2017 01:04AM by badassadam.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 04:43AM

I learned in my science classes that what the LDS Church taught about evolution and the Big Bang were wrong. At least that is what our BYU professors told us. Religion was almost never mentioned outside of religion classes.

Date: October 04, 2017 02:45PM

Interesting.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 12:54PM

That was my experience too in my biology and chem coursework at BYU. None of my professors tolerated the creep of religion into their science. Didn't necessarily mean they weren't believers, but they were serious about their academic careers.

Date: October 05, 2017 03:45PM

Well thats good to hear, atleast that they didn't teach the adam and eve story.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 12:42PM

Yeah, seriously. To be clear, I hated going to be BYU for many, many reasons. I do speak up for large portions of its academics though. Most of my professors worked their asses off and stayed focus on credible instruction. In my experience it was the administration, the ridiculous religious department, and a certain type of self-righteous student (the RMs) that make the place unbearable.

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 08:36PM

Don't forget the opportunities to sit on the for profit boards of directors of the corporations controlled by the first presidency and presiding bishopric. That's where the real money w/o effort comes. TSCC's businesses are extensive to say the least.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 10:35PM

That practice ended years ago.

Date: October 03, 2017 09:52PM

No one has yet mentioned the $1,000,000 dollars given to each of the chosen 15 when the sign on for duty. Grant Palmer Sufficiently documented this prior to his death. Text can be found on Mormonthink.com.

It’s amazing how loyalty can be purchased with money.

Posted by: Grudunza ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 10:23PM

nolongercounted Wrote:
> No one has yet mentioned the $1,000,000 dollars
> given to each of the chosen 15 when the sign on
> for duty. Grant Palmer Sufficiently documented
> this prior to his death. Text can be found on
> Mormonthink.com.

I wouldn’t call him claiming that as “sufficiently documenting” it. Wouldn’t surprise me if true, but I hold some skepticism about Grant’s GA claims.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 10:50PM

I think that Steve Benson may have written about the sign-on million-dollar forgivable loans that GAs get.

Steve B. Is that correct? Got a link for us?

Posted by: Grudunza ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:56PM

Well, that was definitely Grant Palmer’s big reveal, but if Steve B. can verify or back that up, sure, that would add some weight to the claim. After all, in the mouth of two witnesses. :)

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:40AM

"You can buy anything in this world with money."

Date: October 03, 2017 10:21PM

And all of the above has been accomplished without a single financial statement justifying their expenditures. Simply an amazing con job. Open your eyes sheeple!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 10:28PM

I believe what you're quoting is 1980's or 90's base pay. In the 1970's they were rumored to be making 60,000 per annum, and David O. McKay bought each one of his apostles a brand spanking new Cadillac as a present.

Today's CEO's earn anywhere between $400,000 - $800,000 on average of non-profit and charitable organizations. General authorities reward themselves on par with the CEO's of large corporations and not-for-profits in remuneration.

When you add in the stock portfolios, 401k's, IRA's, health insurance, automobiles, housing allowances and so forth ... all travel paid for, clothing allowances meals allowances and on and on. They pay themselves very well for not having to account to the members how much they make. They're as secretive as the CIA when it comes to transparency in accounting.

Not-for-profits and charities publish an annual report so you can see where your money goes. That doesn't happen with the autocratic cult.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 11:28PM

What a great reason to leave!

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:22AM

Amyjo Wrote:

> Today's CEO's earn anywhere between $400,000 -
> $800,000 on average of non-profit and charitable
> organizations. General authorities reward
> themselves on par with the CEO's of large
> corporations and not-for-profits in remuneration.
>
>

Most corporations have one CEO, not 15.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 03, 2017 11:41PM

Just remember that there's some 80,000 or less missionaries telling the glorious lie about the Q15 serving as an unpaid clergy. And if an investigator has the gall to question the veracity of such BS, then the mishie will share this whopper of deceit. "Well the profit lives in a small apartment and has a rental car available to be transported to do the Lard's work. Oh and our special witnesses of Christ are called apostles and they fly coach all the time. Only their travel and lodging expenses are reimbursed by the church."

Yep, one big lie.

Date: October 04, 2017 12:58AM

Doesn't monson have atleast two houses?

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 10:41AM

Wanted to add that paid GAs are 60 plus guys that were successful, probably have house paid off, kids out of college and likely receiving retirement money from a career as well as full social security money if over 65 or 70??

In addition to their own retirement income they are getting 70-130K with expenses covered, medicare premium paid and who knows - maybe even some type of chruch funded IRA or 401K contribution. It's like they work for 60 years instead of 30.

Some GAs probably live off the church money and their own money isn't touched.

We are not even discussing the position of power and glory they hold. These guys are royalty.

If you are getting money and being looked at like a royal, why not keep it going as long as possible. The wives and family are also royals.

Posted by: No Doubts ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 10:49AM

I grew up being fed the "modest living allowance" line. That was a whopper.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.