Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: No Doubts ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 10:54AM

Either,

god does not exist, or

he or she set this whole thing up and left us in the dark.

What is a person to believe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 11:30AM

Your angst is showing...

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 11:46AM

A person can believe whatever they want. Its not rocket science.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 11:48AM

It leaves us exactly where we are.

Whether there is a God or not has nothing to do with working hard to accomplish things, taking advantage of your natural talents, being kind to others, being reciprocal, and finding humor in almost everything. Deists and Atheists alike do these things. Deists and atheists alike do horrible things. Deists and atheists alike can be wonderful people or not.

A belief, like a dream, is a wish your heart makes. So I think its wise to believe whichever dreams you want, but then live in reality in the mean time.

The why isn't always as important as the what.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:06PM

Dreams are good to have. All of the art, music and technology we have today was once a dream in someone's head.

Date: October 04, 2017 12:15PM

Sex 'bots, included!

“Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?”
- - Robert Browning, in a letter to Judic West, thanking him, Judic, for helping Robert to keep his focus.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 08:44PM

Someone needs to pitch this to the Networks. "Judic Saves the World--One Fool at a Time."

And, where did that name come from? It seems to be a misspelling of Judith. Was that your temple name?

Date: October 04, 2017 10:24PM

I made it up, or thought I did. It's a real name, old timely, from where White people come from.

My temple name is Gomer.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 05:44PM

If I were still of childbearing age and inclination, and had a baby boy, I would seriously consider "Judic!" (Especially with its connection to THE elderolddog, but I don't think I would mention that bit to my still semi-TBM DH.)

That might sound sleazy, but hey - at 70, I' WAAAY beyond sleaze.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:19PM

Done&done has a good reply. One of worst aspects of a cult is the claim it has the answer to your life's purpose. It really screws with your mind. Untangling that is what requires some time. Love and kindness are perhaps the best goals in life. Helping mankind to continue to evolve and improve and make a better future as well are great goals.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:23PM

God/divine help did not 'hide or keep in the dark' from me. I find 'divine help' I have received very useful and continue to 'seek more' help.

I find 'very few' people 'seeking God or the Divine'. I am on a lot of 'spiritual' sites. Even there people that have recognized 'divine experiences' do not seem to become 'truth seekers' but tend to just keep their 'current beliefs' and adapt their 'experiences' to align with their current worldviews.

I do find many people seem to 'seek someone else' to tell them what God, etc. wants them to do. Thus, religion will remain popular. I have yet to find a 'religious' person that I 'believed' was seeking the 'divine/God'. Why should they, they already 'believe' they have found the 'only true religion, etc.'!

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 12:37PM

Here's where it left me and my significant other: Be nice to other people.

That's all I need.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 05:28PM

Up in the air junior birdmen
Up in the air upside down

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 11:30PM

A person should believe facts, logic and reason. Don't need god(s) for any of those.

Posted by: Texmo ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 04:08PM

Today I don't think it matters so much. With our technological advances there is a lot to occupy our minds and entertain ourselves. Church attendance is declining world wide because people have found better things to do with their time or simply don't believe in a deity or afterlife, and those who do believe in such things have found they can do so without belonging to a religion. It took us thousands of years to reach this point though and it wouldn't have been possible if not for religion.

If religion had been declared a scam from the beginning, I wonder what the human race would be like - if we would have advanced the way we did? Those great structures from the past: Pyramids, temples (Pantheon, etc...) Cathedrals (Vatican, etc..), what would have been the motivation to build such grand structures if not to praise God(s)? What would Europe/western civilization be like without the Catholic church and the monks who preserved the ancient writings after Rome fell? Would there have been a Rome without religion? What would have taken the place of religion as a means of control or hope for continuing on after death? Would explorers like Christopher Columbus have had the courage to sail across the ocean if they did not believe that God was with them?

Our brains are all about survival. Because of this, I don't think our brains are okay with dying; it is looking for a solution - a way to survive, which is why the idea of a deity and and afterlife is so appealing and why religion started.

I don't think people will ever be okay with the thought of death, so if religion was declared a scam, I'm sure something else would take its place. Some other way to believe that we continue on...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.