Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 03:46PM

When this came out in the mid 90's, it was a punch in the gut to me. I was newly divorced from my husband who came out as a gay man and was hanging onto my religion by my fingernails.

While everyone around me was praising this, I was dying inside by what it said...and what it meant. I've always HATED seeing it hanging in family members homes, including my OWN children.

Today, I get something on my newsfeed in FB that there is some sort of poll asking whether I'd agree or disagree with sustaining this as what? DOCTRINE or Revelation or some such drivel..I deleted it immediately.

And here I thought that maybe, TSCC was finally going to mellow out on this kind of crap. Nope...business as usual.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 03:51PM

I always get the feeling listening to Francis that while he believes in Catholicism, his bottom line is that God's will in Christ is to eventually save everyone. John Paul II and Benedict seemed to believe the same thing, but they weren't as explicit about it as Francis is.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 04:06PM

My parents took down photos of their children and put up the proclamation in a prominent place on the wall. Mormonism replaces love with hate and judgement.

Posted by: Fr ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 07:03PM

They sure doubled down on the Family Proclamation during conference.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 07:06PM

The LDS is church is so full of hate, ignorance and intolerance.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 07:08PM

It certainly promotes the straight and narrow (minded).

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 07:30PM

Jesus said of his disciples:

They STRAIN AT A GNAT, BUT SWALLOW A CAMEL...

True THEN, True TODAY.

Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 07:33PM

Looking back I'm glad I didnt get married while I was at BYU. Now I see it as the best thing ever, but school, family, church pressure was so huge that every time I saw this hanging on a wall, it just reminded me that I wasn't married and practically failing at life.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 01:12AM

I've had the same feeling many times. I'm sssooooooo grateful I never married a Mormon ever but especially way back when I was at BYU and would have been sucked into a Utah Mormon life. My sister went to Ricks and I always feared she would marry and stay out in Idaho for life. Thank goodness she graduated and came home as did I.

The Proclamation just confirmed for me that there is no divine guidance and no prophecy in Mormonism. Publishing that garbage dictate just makes it harder and harder for them to come back from the huge detour Mormonism has made from truth, reality, and loving concern for their fellow man. When they made such a public display of their ignorance they just dug their own grave.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: October 04, 2017 09:55PM

I seriously hate the Mormon church. The proclamation is such garbage and has caused so much harm to so many people. Hugs Gemini

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2017 09:55PM by Atari.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 02:27AM

The Proclamation is just another "sort of" made-up revelation which arrived in the nick of time making it possible for the MormonCult to single it out as to why they are entitled to have their position on LGBTQ. Ole lying Joey showed them the ropes a couple hundred years ago and all they had to do was copy their conprophet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 02:33AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 03:21AM

I’ve had friends who proudly framed it and put it up in their hallways. Several have since divorced when one leaves the faith. It doesn’t take a marriage therapist to note that Mormonism, and it’s constant push for obedience and perfection, destroys marriages and families.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 06:12PM

LDS pretends to elevate the family to the supreme divine unit. In reality, if the married couple make a decision that is not endorsed by a church leader, the church leader feels it his priesthood right and duty to counter and re-direct the decision.

LDS pretends to sustain the "patriarch" of the family as the final decider for the family (according to the "patriarchal order and divine right of Adam's patriarchal priesthood"), but in reality, if the patriarch comes to a family decision that doesn't agree with church policy and finance, or the ideas of the bishop, the bishop etc. will actively work to subvert the patriarch among the other members of the family. The "Proclamation" is pure hypocrisy and deceit.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 06:34PM

Geez, talk about self-fulfilling prophecy. The Proclamation came about as a result of not having any scripture affirming that God hates Gays. "So hey, we're prophets, seers and revalators, aren't we, let's proclaim something."

So off they go with the signed proclamation, Deseret Book picks up on it as something new they can market. Then all the mormon crafty folks want to make prettier proclamations than their neighbors have. Then we wait a generation until the kiddies grow up not realizing how it all came about. But it's been on the wall and they've heard about it their whole lives, so of course it's scripture, right. Or at least as good as scripture, so why not canonize it. And Voila, there's your "God Hates Gays" scripture, just like we planned it.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 09:25AM

Despite my best efforts to pay no attention to General Conference, my morning read of the Washington Post included a short blurb with "Dallin Oaks" in the headline--I couldn't resist temptation. Stan got me!

Anyway, the article explained that Oaks made the case in his...um...unique voice (I sometimes imitate his voice to "sing" "Rubber Ducky" to our baby. Now doing so with Monson's is creepy! Try it some time)...that the LDS position on gay marriage was not a mere policy, but a doctrine of the church.

Okay that seems pretty simple.

But what about the recent apologetic trick on the pre-1978 LDS position on persons of black African descent and the priesthood, temple endowments etc.? Now they say that was a policy--not a doctrine. This is despite pronouncements about this grand principle of racism from "prophets, seers and revelators" in General Conference, and books with "doctrine" in the blankety, blank, title! I think this was Mr. Oaks's attempt to bind his successors to the Family A Proclamation to the World, because his name and those of his best buddies are on it. Maybe this would be warming the table to affirm the proclamation and make it part of the D&C in a future conference (I've heard members of my family suggest this possibility before).

Consequently, subsequent LDS leaders would risk undermining their own authority by changing the current LDS views on homosexuality, same gender marriages, and the like. I still believe that at some point in the future the changing views on this subject in the U.S. will force a change. And, LDS kids in that generation will wonder how God changed his mind--just as they did after the 1978 revelation, and the 1890 manifesto.

It just comes with the territory of pretending to speak for God, and then being wrong, because you were "just speaking as a man"...again.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 09:52AM

Why did I ever go home? Open the front door and there above the fireplace was a framed photo of the Mormon Prophet du Jour with the Proclamation next to it. It was bad enough to be greeted by Hinckley, but the image of "Grandpa Munster" was particularly disturbing.

The Proclamation of the family is basically a statement of blackmail---you aren't really part of the family unless you do exactly as we say. Got it?

I hated going in the front door. What a greeting!

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 08:14PM

The proclamation will remain divine until it isn't. And then its authors will be thrown under the bus with "We don't know why those men said those things, but they were a product of their time."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.