Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kendricklamar ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 08:36PM

http://www.ldsdaily.com/personal-lds-blog/8-anti-mormon-tactics-satan-uses-attack-latter-day-saints/

"...He uses them against the Church all the time. When someone testifies that the Book of Mormon is true, Satan will say 'But Joseph used a seer stone in a hat!' And? What does that have to do with where or not it is true? It is an irrelevant appeal. It is a distraction.'The Church is true.' 'But Brigham Young said….' Once again, saying something that is true, but irrelevant, detracts from the truth and is a lie."

I'm laughing so hard right now. There is no need to explain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 08:45PM

Hahahaha. What a find. They just can't help themselves from making it worse!

Pay no attention to actual truth!
Truth is not useful!
We'll let you know what is true!
If it's not our currently approved truth, it's a lie!

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 08:50PM

I think that a person who is member of a religion which believes to be the center of the world, god's one and true church even though it represents less than 1% of the world's population can't say that something is irrelevant.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 09:49PM

Hahaha and ha. The Irrelevant Appeals if my favorite. Juicy.

For your pleasure:

"An example, the truth is, “You are a spirit child of Heavenly Father, you have inherent value.” Satan would whisper, “You are fat. You are single, no one wants you. Or you are too short/tall.” Whereas these irrelevant appeals might be true, they detract from the truth and therefore they are a lie of Satan. Satan is a master liar, he uses irrelevant appeals masterfully."

Now I'm laughing my ass off all over again. "Brothers and sisters, don't listen to Satan when he tells you your ass is gigantic. It's a trick!" Hahahah ha.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 10:11PM

turn that around, and: the Book of Mormon is fiction. "But hey, look, you are a spirit child of Heavenly Father, you have inherent value."

Do not distract me with your misleading truths, satan. The Book of Mormon is still fiction.

Date: October 05, 2017 10:34PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Brothers and sisters, don't listen to Satan when he tells you your ass is gigantic. It's a trick!" Hahahah ha.

Laugh of the day

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 05, 2017 10:12PM

The fact is, the church lied to us and continues to lie. Therefore it is not true.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 02:32AM

So, any information that doesn't agree with the constantly shifting church narrative is from Satan. Satan's influence is everywhere. He has all of the archaeologists, geneticists, historians and Egyptologists under control because the world is soooo bad.

Satan also spreads rumors around polygamous communities on how to prevent terrible genetic diseases. Again, not useful. Of course, God wasn't very useful in keeping Warren Jeffs out of jail either. It's true that Jeffs actions hurt people, but hey, not important if you're not the one getting hurt.

If lies are ruining your life, would you want to know? Apparently many people don't.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 04:23AM

Just the first sentence makes me think of a lot things the LDS church is guilty of.

"Satan is the father of lies and deception. He has many titles including the cunning one. Satan is master of language and convincing."

So where does that leave us, eh, what?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 01:18PM

This type of thinking bothered me a lot as a missionary. I used to think, "Why is this so hard if we are doing his work for his glory?" It seemed that God didn't lift a finger for us while we (as mishies) were worked our asses off. We were taught that Stan was always working and was a master of everything he did.

I think Stan was a better communicator than the old man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 01:19PM by messygoop.

Date: October 06, 2017 01:29PM

An example, the truth is, “You are a spirit child of Heavenly Father, you have inherent value.” Satan would whisper, “You are fat. You are single, no one wants you. Or you are too short/tall.”

I guess members have a forgetful memory. Their beloved church at the height of Hinkster-ism (1995-97) did just that. They decided that only well-proportioned members should serve missions. The church restricted applicants from serving a mission if they were "too fat" for their height.

I have shared my story about a tall (6'4") guy that was too lanky to serve. He was 15-20 pounds too heavy for his height. His mother called my mom in a frantic effort to find a LDS dentist willing to wire his jaw shut so he could lose the weight. Eventually, he starved himself and the weight requirement quietly disappeared.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 01:30PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 08:03AM

saying something that is true ... is a lie.

Two can play the ellipsis game.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 08:19AM

we're not the liars; satan is
freedom is slavery
four legs good two legs better
etc

Posted by: ugo ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 08:34AM

Truth speaks for itself; it contains no falsehoods.

Truth may ask discovery and education, but never apology.

The apologies reveal their stories as false. It's one of the functions of apology, for a truth-seeker.

It either happened or it did not. Logic cannot prove a negative, but the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming against Joe Smith, a proven liar.

If the gullible choose to invest in a known liar, and those whom, past and present, apologize for his lies, they are free to do so; we cannot control their whimsy.

In my dealings with others, I put real effort into accuracy and honesty. Those who do not are most often easy to spot by the level of apology they use for any given situation. It doesn't matter what the situation, but the volume (amount) of apology does.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ....

Stand and fight, run or freeze. Do not succumb. To those who try to fake integrity, it can't be done.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 09:45AM

Two thumbs up ugo. Certainly no need for apologies with that statement. Made my day. I'm so tired of the truthie people--your truth, my truth, yada yada yada . . . Truth is different for everyone yada yada yada . . . What's true for you may not be true for me, yada . . .

No. Your first line. THAT is the real deal on truth. Truth speaks for itself and the need to wrap a supposed truth in ribbons and bows is a big red flag.

When I was a kid the slogan was "Every Member a Missionary."

Today it's "Every Member and Apologist.":

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 01:57AM

...and an amateur Egyptologist.

Date: October 06, 2017 10:31AM

I read this article again because it's hilarious and I thought about the positive side of this kind of articles. Even though they are not serious maybe they can make some TBM's think that the arguments against TSCC are that weak, so they enter to some anti mormon sites to show that TSCC is what it claims to be, but then find out what the arguments against TSCC really are.
The image of some TBM going to mormon think in order to rebuke them and then reading all their stuff is beautiful.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 01:29PM

Me: "But Brigham Young taught racist doctrine..."
TBM: "Brigham Young was speaking as a man at the time. He wasn't speaking as a prophet of God."
Me:"But Mormons followed his racist rhetoric as if it were God's own words. In fact, the church followed it until the 'ban' was lifted in 1978. 'Speaking as a man,' huh?"
TBM:"I know the church is true..." (iincomprehensible crying)

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 02:38PM

Remember "Some things that are true are not very useful". Especially if they disprove your claim!!

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 03:00PM

“But Joseph used a seer stone in a hat!” And? What does that have to do with where or not it is true? It is an irrelevant appeal. It is a distraction.”The Church is true.”

Seriously?? Seriously?????? So they are admitting that Joseph used a magic rock in his hat to come up with the book of mormon? And they are ok with that?! A man claiming to read words off of a magic rock in his hat is perfectly believable? or is it a lie?? because it's a distraction?? what about the mormon art depictions of joe sitting bent over golden plates on a table? Is that a distraction thus a lie as well?.. Or just a plain lie? but the church told it.. so is the church?? .. wait...I'm getting confused now... let's go back to the mantra then: 'the church is true, no matter what anybody says.. the church is true, no matter what evidence tells us...the church is true even though it keeps changing it's mind and doctrine... '... is that how it goes inside their mormon brains?

Date: October 06, 2017 03:08PM

Awhile back the church tried to deflect criticisms of hiding the truth (rock in hat vs official story of U & T) on rogue painters that misrepresented the story. Yet, an article from the Ensign made it very clear that every single image, painting, illustration, video had to be approved by the first presidency. They really hate getting trapped by their own words.

Date: October 06, 2017 03:57PM

It is so funny though. Can't believe they don't see it.

Date: October 06, 2017 04:40PM

The most funny thing is that the article is that the first point says that Satan deceived you using half truths and then it talk about the rock in a hat situation as if it were "the argument" against JS in the supposed translation of the BoM which is a half truth in itself LOL.

Posted by: Brain ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 03:38PM

This part is my favorite and one of the funniest excuses for Joseph's ineptitude I've seen:
"When Joseph bought the papyri scrolls, the edges were tattered, so he trimmed them off and put them in a safe place. He then translated the scrolls into the Book of Abraham. Those scrolls have been lost. What has survived are the tattered edges. It is the edges that the Egyptologists have examined and deemed an inaccurate translation and not the scrolls that Joseph translated the book of Abraham from!"

Date: October 06, 2017 03:56PM

How convenient that the real deal was lost and the offal made it...

Remarkable...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.