Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 03:33AM

This coming week is the first time that my son - a grown man and practicing illusionist-magician of considerable local repute, has been invited to perform at Albuquerque's International Balloon Fiesta.

They don't invite the small fry for this one, folks. It's a terrific thing to have on your resume.

he called me today to tell me he has felt run-down for a couple of days, with miserable pain from just above his eyebrows, behind his eyes, and down each side of his nose, with plenty of nasty effluvium which of course interferes with his performance "patter."

He is under a different medical care system than I am - otherwise, I could probably have thrown in some elbows and gotten him seen by a good ENT person in a relatively short time. (I have a long and wretched history, including surgery, with these things, so I have been through way too many of them. And they kicked off at about the age he is now.)

I told him to get an Urgent Care person to see him ASAP and to give him an antibiotic shot to kick-start the healing (that's what they do for me) with a follow-up course of generic antibiotic. Fortunately, he isn't allergic to anything.

He has the guts to get through a performance when he doesn't feel well. But about a ten-day period of them, with multiple performances a day?

Please send any spare magic or pixie dust you may have left from your days of belief for my boy. I appreciate every fleck.This is a huge opportunity for him. Thanks, everyone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 04:04AM

How about a bit of practical information???

Ginger helps this kind of thing (professional entertainers use it all the time)...but it has to be REAL ginger (in other words: NOT ginger "flavor").

Three suggestions (all of which are available at Whole Foods... and most other, similar, stores):

1) Reed's Extra Ginger Brew, which is a bottled soft drink in the bottled soft drink section. (There is a "regular" and an "extra"--get the "extra" if possible.) Use this to help during performance days, as a sort of "pick-up" if his body starts going south.

2) "Traditional Medicinals" [brand] Ginger Aid tea (in tea bags, in a mostly-orange-colored box, in the boxed herbal teas section). Drink this starting immediately, a cup whenever the pain or the uglies strike. (Do NOT add sugar to this tea!)

3) Hanging from a hook in the "Asian foods" section: Eden [brand] "Pickled Ginger with Shiso Leaves." There may be other "pickled ginger" products available, but get THIS one because it isn't filled with sugar (which gums up the various body works used in performances). Get at least a packet for each performance day (the packages are something like $5.99 per plastic bag, and well worth the cost because of the lack of sugar). The taste is fine, and the ginger is sliced into easily eaten pieces which can be eaten right from the package with a fork. (Don't drink the liquid which comes with the ginger, it is mostly vinegar!)

One caveat: ginger will increase any existing bleeding problems, so if he has any medical bleeding problems, either cut all of this ginger intake down radically, or just don't do it at all.

On the other hand: If he does NOT have any medical bleeding problems, ginger can work relative miracles--and all kinds of entertainers and public speakers swear by it.

My best wishes to him, and to his Boffo Performances!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 04:09AM by Tevai.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 05:06AM

That's a great opportunity for your son who sounds like he has an amazing talent (and more.)

Does he know what specifically is causing his headache? Has he been treated for it before? If it's reoccurring he'll have some idea of what he needs to do to help relieve his symptoms.

Tevai's tips on the use of Ginger sounds helpful. I hadn't heard of them before myself. We just opened a Whole Foods where I live (first one ever,) so I'm going to check it out for those Ginger products next time I go there - I get voice croup now and then.

My suggestion is for your son to get to his physician immediately for some medicinal help and to diagnose what exactly is causing it so they can formulate a treatment plan for him to get better.

He's going to need lots of rest and hydration in between performances. Maybe some good chicken noodle soup and other cold remedy soups that provide comfort and relief.

If it is sinus causing his symptoms, then a good antibiotic will help - and the sooner he gets on it the better.

Sending good vibes, prayers and positive thoughts yours and his way at this time. ❤️

Date: October 06, 2017 05:59AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tevai's tips on the use of Ginger sounds helpful.
> I hadn't heard of them before myself. We just
> opened a Whole Foods where I live (first one
> ever,) so I'm going to check it out for those
> Ginger products next time I go there - I get voice
> croup now and then.

Amyjo...For your voice, try Traditional Medicinals [the brand] Throat Coat (herbal tea bags)--it is a product that politicians who give speeches use all the time.

The product itself is non-partisan ;) ...but Bill Clinton used to DEPEND on this, especially when he had to make several speeches in a given day.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 08:51AM

Thanks Tevai.

Since I love teas, I will add that to my list of ones to try. I'll let you know if it helps.

:)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 05:30AM

It sounds like sinusitis and it's certainly the season when allergies are active. If he has allergies -- either Allegra D or Claritin D along with Flonase (both are over the counter nowadays and come in generic versions.) My favorite antibiotic is Augmentin, and he could use a good, stiff dose of it. He might need a short course (5 day's worth) of steroids (Prednisone) as well to reduce the inflammation. Excedrin is good for sinus headaches -- the caffeine boosts the work of the pain relievers.

Beyond that, he needs to drink lots of water, and rub ice cubes over his face, which will also help to reduce the inflammation. A humidifier at night might also help.

Good luck to him! It sounds like a great opportunity.

Posted by: whaddya do ( )
Date: October 06, 2017 06:59AM

More practical advice, and it's mechanical.

I had exactly what you describe your son has, and of course any infection needs antibiotics. Cortisone shots can work wonders, too- relieves inflammation, even in the head.

Now for some weird mechanics, born of desperation, the pain had been so intense. My head felt like it was ready to pop, radiating into my neck and shoulders. Even my face hurt.

A vibrating massager. I had a big-ish one, boought it for back and leg pain. I was laying down, doing my neck and shoulder area, The massager found its way to the back of my head, and it helped. I kept exploring with it, eventually on my face. I hadn't realized how tense my face had gotten, or how deeply sore it was. It helped the pain so much.

The huge surprise, about twenty minutes in, was when the "dam broke." All of a sudden, my sinuses started to drain. I didn't know a head could hold that much snot. I even felt dampness in my ears. I don't know why or how it works, but it works.

Specifically, deep, gently "thumping" vibrations to the orbital (eye) and ear areas. If he tries it, vibrate the most sore areas.

Medicine and mechanics, yes. I now have a smaller, battery operated "flattened egg"-shaped vibrator that I pulled out of a vibrating neck pillow, and keep at my bedside for facial massage sessions. It helps to keep "snot buildup" at bay.

Believe it or not, it's good when used on the head for other headaches, which I suspect are related to my low-dose gabapentin for my back. Those headaches are periodic, and happen if I miss a dose.

Walgreens and CVS usually have massagers year around, unlike the mega stores, who stock them in for Christmas then sell down the supply the rest of the year.

You wanted "good vibes," you got 'em. ;) Hope it helps.

Date: October 07, 2017 02:12AM

Son has a nasty case of sinusitis, but they gave him a shot to kick off rapid recovery (some day, he may forgive me!!) and a course of antibiotics, and is already feeling better. He says that the other medications they have given him have loosened some disgusting drainage, which has made it easier to breathe as well as lessened the pain.

He isn't quite up to snuff yet, but he is doing much better, and he doesn't have to perform until later today (the 7th) and is looking forward to a good night's rest.

He is pretty well known around the State, and I'm hoping he will get some good publicity from the Balloon Fiesta. He has been performing magic since he was in his teens, and he is now making a full-time living at doing shows in various venues. He loves what he does, and it shows in his performances.

I told him that a lot of this info comes from other exmos like us, and he asked me to relay his appreciation.

Thanks, y'all, for coming through for us!!!

Date: October 07, 2017 02:30AM

Tell him we are all cheering him on!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 12:26PM

I saw a picture posted by a friend on FB of the Balloon Fiesta -- it looks great! I hope that he is feeling better and can enjoy himself.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 03:06AM

What a great opportunity for him! He must have worked really hard to come this far.

I hope he feels better quick!!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 06:45AM

Catnip, this is exciting news about your son honing his skills and advancing in his career! Good thoughts and well wishes from me. I hope you give us an update!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2017 06:45AM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 12:35PM

May the force be with you!

Date: October 08, 2017 02:35AM

Son said that his performances yesterday went very well, and he expects to be back later today (the 8th) for more.

He has worked as a performing magician/illusionist for more than 20 years, and is amazing. He is doing what he loves, and that comes shining through every performance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.