Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 11:36AM

We're choking on smoke where I live but fortunately we're safe.

I know people in the burning areas and hope they're safe as well. The phone service and roads are a mess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 09, 2017 12:13PM

Willits, and many other cities covering four counties. Many homes are in flame, also wineries, the Silverado Country Club and other businesses, hillsides, and agricultural lands. The Kaiser hospital in Napa has also been evacuated. People are holding up in Churches, The Napa State College and the Napa Fairgrounds. Many roads are clogged with fleeing victims or are compromised by fire.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 12:15PM

I live in southern Napa County. We are fine, though it is hard to breathe because of the smoke. I opted to work from home today because there were ashes in the air at 6:00 am. No more ash, but is still very smoky. My eyes are burning. Many roads are closed. It is a nightmare.

Date: October 09, 2017 12:19PM

I'm glad you're safe and you can stay in.

Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 12:46PM

in north Sacramento we are good,thanks for thinking of us up north. no smoke yet,am off to the mall.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 12:53PM

My Nephew and his little family live there and he owns a business there. They are evacuating now, evidently where he is , there is only only way out. My ex brother in law has a home up there and his neighbors house has already burned down but he also has a home in Manhatten Beach and he's there now.

Date: October 09, 2017 03:01PM

It's so sad to see a family lose their home. Worse to lose a life of course.

1500 structures have been destroyed and the fire is still spreading.

Counts of injuries and deaths are starting to come in.

Date: October 09, 2017 01:52PM

uppa

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 03:04PM

Hang in there, Napa folks.

Please, PLEASE: if you're told to evacuate, grab a few important things, and GET OUT. Your stuff is not worth your life.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 08:18PM

Hope you are all OK.

Wine Country Girl, you OK?

Date: October 09, 2017 09:25PM

It's impossible to tell if the rubble is burned out homes, apartments or something else.

My daughter just called to say some who live close to her are being evacuated, but she thinks she'll be fine where she is.

This fire is a bad one!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 10:53PM

Our little area in No. Santa Barbara County, Lompoc/ near Vandenberg Air Force Base has escaped all the fires. Got a lot of smoke at times.
We were awakened by loud deep sounds and a lot of shaking when the rocket went off at 5 a.m.!

SO far, my family is all safe also.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 11:36PM

We're good here in Rocklin (east of Sacramento), but the air is smokey.

Date: October 10, 2017 09:53PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We're good here in Rocklin (east of Sacramento),
> but the air is smokey.

I was wondering about you Don....

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 02:54PM

Wine Country Girl had to evacuate with her family.

Date: October 10, 2017 02:55PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 09:40PM

Thanks for that news.

WCG was one of the RFMers I was actually able to meet for real during my first trip to California, years ago.

WCG and MrsE.

Hope MrsE is good, too?

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 09:34PM

burned out of their homes. Many just escaped with their pets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 12:51PM by mav.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 12:59AM

Redwood Valley--my sis had to evacuate at 3:30 am yesterday. They are at a friend's home. Sis, hubby, their tenant and three dogs are sharing one bedroom. Yesterday people were walking around dazed and in shock. Today people are crying. Houses near their home burned, but theirs is still okay, or was this afternoon. Everyone has propane tanks and it was like being bombed when the tanks started blowing up.

People in Mendocino County are upset that the news has pretty much ignored them. On the other hand, the outpouring of food, clothing, and other donated items has been tremendous. They thought they'd be out of their house a couple of hours, so didn't bother to even take clean underwear, which they regret now. They are safe and can communicate with family.

The vineyards are damaged--who knows what the loss will be. Cannabis growers are fighting to save their crops but it is hard. Cannabis is one of the biggest cash crops in Mendocino County.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 01:03AM

You all have my love!

My brother and his wife had to evacuate, and they are staying here at my house. The police came banging on their door, and told them they HAD to leave. They took their photographs and important papers, and some valuable paintings, and their silver and jewelry, and drove both cars out. The trip took a very long time, because of the traffic. They think their house will be all right, though.

It is really, really upsetting!

Date: October 11, 2017 06:40PM

The smoke where I live is causing everyone's eyes and throats to burn. I think those in the thick of it must be using masks and some must have oxygen.

It's sad to think of that beautiful country in devastation. I've spent so many happy hours there with friends and family enjoying the beauty and tranquility and I hate to think of it as blackened and ruined for many years to come.

The wineries, inns, restaurants and tourist destinations are gone for now. It will take many years to rebuild and to bring the grapes back to where they were.

The saddest part is the families who have lost their homes and sometimes their loved ones.

I feel selfish complaining when I remember their horrific losses.

My best to those whose loved ones were evacuated or hurt.

Perhaps we'll hear from WCG.

Of course those in temporary housing likely can't communicate since phones, computers, and power are mostly down. The area is huge including many many large cities, all affected. I won't even start to list them.

Our hearts and warm wishes go to all who are suffering.

We need rain, but I don't see it in the forecast.

Posted by: Anon 2 ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 04:25PM

Yes. My nephew is a fire Warden and he has been fighting the fire face to face ever since they started. I'm worried for him, his family, his brothers and sisters. He says it's alot worse than the news is reporting. It's horrific. And people are not prepared for evacuation.

Date: October 13, 2017 05:55PM

What a grueling and heartbreaking job. Yes, I can sense that the news is underplaying much about this disaster. The human toll is more than I can absorb.

Good luck to everyone in the area and to their concerned loved ones and all of those who are still lost and hurting.

People where I live are suffering from the smoke and ash. I see them with masks if I have to go out for anything. My grandsons and all of the kids in Bay Area counties are home from school until some of the smoke clears.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.