Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 02:23PM

Same thing over again... (from the article):

"I think I know why some of you left. You were offended by a thoughtless individual who injured you, and you mistook his actions as representative of the Church. Or you may have moved from an area where you were known to an area where you were largely alone, and there grew up with only little knowledge of the Church.

Or you may have been drawn to other company or habits which you felt were incompatible with association in the Church. Or you may have felt yourself wiser in the wisdom of the world than those of your Church associates, and with some air of disdain, withdrawn yourself from their company."

So list again is being offended, are ignorant, wanted to sin, or pride.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 06:26PM

Don't forget lazy and wimpy. Deceived by Satan. Forgot--that one always kills me.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 08:32PM

Very next paragraph in the article:

"I am not here to dwell on the reasons. I hope you will not. Put
the past behind you. … There is everything to gain and nothing to
lose. Come back, my friends. There is more of peace to be found
in the Church than you have known in a long while. There are many
whose friendship you will come to enjoy."

Yes, he's not here to "dwell upon the reasons" right after he
dwelled upon the reasons. And his "I hope you will not." is
Mormonspeak for, "don't contradict the insulting things I've just
said about you."

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 09:12PM

but it hasn't happened yet, and isn't likely to.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 09:30AM

I love broccoli.
You are a broccoli blasphemer !!!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 02:54PM

C'mon, you have to admit that they can't teach that people leave the church because they come into possession of information that establishes, to a fair minded person, that TCOJCOL-dS is NOT what it says it is, and that its history is not what they claim it to be.

It's like when I tell the highway patrol officer that I only had two beers... ...Too bad TBMs are not as prone to doubt as those chippies.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 03:23PM

My neighbor is a great cook! I do things in return and I think I kind of blow their minds. I just act like they are being neighborly. ha ha ha ha

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 04:09PM

Same old, same old...the fault of the person trying to bring him back into activity and the person that was hurt. NEVER the insensitive jackass with a stick up their butt.

Posted by: Goldros ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 04:16PM

Don't forget the church is perfect, but the people are not.

Posted by: notojomo ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 06:47PM

You got that backasswards.

The PEOPLE are perfect (good), the LDS church IS NOT!

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 04:18PM

I left because my conscience compelled me to seek truthful answers to my children's sincere questions like, "Do you believe we were cursed with dark skin like it says in the Book of Mormon?"
When i asked my Bishop, Instead of answering truthfully, he threatened me with excommunication for being honest with my family.
So I quit before he violated my. Consttutional right to frrrdom of speech.
I couldnt have been more offended or incensed that ANYbody would DARE threaten me for being honest with my kids. I had good reason to be offended and its just insulting to have MORmONS trivialize what ought to offend ANYbody with a conscience or a GD backbone.
I could not in good conscience, allow my children to be brainwadhed with racist 19th Century bogus myths, in the 21st Century, after they had all been debunked by modern DNA evidence.
I actually care about truth and my fellow man.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 04:23PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 05:26PM

The mormon church cannot violate anyone's constitutional right to freedom of speech

The First Amendment applies only to government entities (at the federal, state, or local level). Private entities and individuals acting in their personal capacity cannot violate the First Amendment. It is impossible.

The mormon church is a private entity. It cannot violate anyone's First Amendment rights just like you and I cannot violate anyone's First Amendment rights.

On the contrary, as a private entity, the church can accept, reject, or kick out (i.e., excommunicate) anyone it wants for any reason whatsoever. By exactly the same mechanism, you can say whatever you want about the mormon church and walk away from it without any risk of constitutional claims against you.

Posted by: michaello ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 09:41AM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 04:19PM

Why does the church have to tell its members over and over to be nice to each other?

Remember that fellowship is always a calling in the church. Friends are not real.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 05:33PM

Yep they need jesus points.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 05:36PM

Serious question, BadAss, how many Jesus points does one need for a new Audi 8?

I gotz ta know!

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 06:24PM

About 50,000 jesus points i would say would be sufficient.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 05:48PM

At a dollar per Jesus point, Audi 8 starts at 82,000 points.

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a8l

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 09:34AM

I want an armored Audi just like the one Tommy boy Monson gets to ride around in.
I don't care if it cost the tithe payers $650,000

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 06:16PM

"You mistook his actions as representative of the church"

Ummm, yes that happens when "his actions" are canonized LDS scripture of the day.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 08:57PM

There is a big disclaimer at the bottom of the page:

"Those who have nothing to offer the church should not be catered to or fellowshipped back into the church. Look for the low hanging fruit likely to provide cash."

They never try anything new or offer anything appealing to the non-brainwashed. They just reenforce the same messages over and over to themselves -- those on the inside are special and loved by God. Those on the outside might be able to be saved if they lose their bad attitude and are willing to part with their cash.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 09:26AM

The title of the lesson is "Enfolding With Love Those Who Stray". Somehow, the word "enfolding" sounds a lot like "smothering", to me...

Date: October 11, 2017 09:32AM

I didn't stray! The whole idea that we're a bunch of naughty, lost, straggly cats, desperately needing their rescue...uggggg!

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 07:43PM

Enfolding sounds like something one might do prior to mutilating and spindling!

Don't Enfold ME!

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 07:45PM

Could never get that straight.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 01:21PM

Do not Fold, Spindle or Mutilate.............

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 07:21PM

"You were offended by a thoughtless individual who injured you..."

Joseph Smith? Brigham Young?

I mean, there's a long list, but we can start with those two guys...

And this gem: "Or you may have felt yourself wiser in the wisdom of the world than those of your Church associates..."

Not really--just saw through the bullshit, that's all. Mormons are guilty of feeling wiser.....

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 09:13PM

We once learned the scripture, "by their fruits ye shall know them".

Now apparently you are to ignore the bad fruits as not representing the church.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 02:18AM

This lesson, like all the lessons are 99% for the members retention. It gives the illusion that the same reasons why people left the early church are the same today. Well they are the same, but completely different from what they are preaching... It's because it is not true, it's a waste of time, money and effort. It also takes away your self confidence and self respect.
I would love to see those true reasons show up in the lesson manual.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 02:23AM by chipace.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 08:22AM

Dream on.
You're right, its aimed at retention but Mormons dread any real conversation about theur faith with non-believers because they know theyre skating on very thin ice i reality, so they choose fantasy world over reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 08:23AM by koriwhore.

Date: October 12, 2017 11:45AM

Absolutely right. It's not about getting exMormons back. I guess there are people who drift away. Surely there are jack Mormons. Those folks might respond to fake fellowshipping. Mormon big wigs don't want regular Mormons anywhere near us. They know it wouldn't go over well if they overtly told our families to shun us, even though some will hint that it may be a good idea. I'm sure they will be very careful to tell the classes to not listen to our side and certainly not read anything we suggest.

Mostly it will be about how lost and bad exMormons are and how sad it is. Or, really, this is how the faithful members will think about you if you leave and you certainly don't want that.

I'm pretty sure these lessons correlate with my mother in law's efforts to repair our relationship and get me back to church. Oh joy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 02:28PM by Dorothy.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 01:09PM

Tell any members wanting you to go back to church they sound like those Harvey Weinstein tapes:

Member: Come on just go back to church for 5 minutes. Just come inside the building.

Uninterested Party: I don't feel comfortable. I don't want to.

M: You're embarrassing me. Just come in with me. I'm going to do some baptisms. Just come in for a few MINUTES!!! If you don't like it you can leave. Just wait while I do the baptisms..

UP: I'm not embarrasing you, and last time you touched my wallet.

M: Yea, but I'm used to that just wait inside. I swear on Joseph Smith's children.

UP: You are used to that?

M: Look, I just want to to be fulfilled. Wait inside have some sacrament. You'll be filled with joy.

UP: Why do I have to wait inside. I can enjoy the out doors at the park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 01:10PM by cheezus.

Posted by: uhhsoyeah ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 01:15PM

That's pretty much.... exactly the conversation I have with my mother weekly. Yikes.

Posted by: StillBurned_Not Logged in ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 01:24PM

This push is much more about innoculating those sheep still in the fold than it is about getting you apostates back in. Sure, you'd better stand by for the love bombing. The message, though, is to those still on the inside, "Don't be like those poor, pathetic, sinful, prideful, diseased people who've walked away from The One True Church, Inc."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.