Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 08:19PM

Maybe someday there will be no need for posts like this, but the LDS church keeps sticking its foot in its collective mouth. So anyway, today the Boy Scouts announced the option among Cub Scout groups to be all male, all female or mixed, as desired by the participants. Within seconds TSCC let it be known in no uncertain terms that any girl who wanted to be a Cub Scout (hint- there are girl wolf cubs as well as boy ones!!!) would immediately be considered unacceptable to the LDS church. They made it unequivocally clear that LDS girls are to find all the social, cultural and developmental needs they have now or ever will have in the Young Women program of said Gulag. So shut up and get back to your cooking and making doilies.

Note to trolls: Maybe the problem is not the RfM community. Maybe, just maybe, the Grand Exalted Poobahs of the LDS conglomerate have lost all credibility with people who can tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 12:42AM by slskipper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 11:55PM

personally think Young Women's program is awful and it is made abundantly clear that much more funding and time and effort is put into the young men's programs including scouting

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 12:43AM

When I was called to serve on the ward's weekend of camping for the young women (forgot what it was called) I was disappointed that we had a prep meeting where they showed us a couple going to the temple. What did that have to do with a camp out I'll never know?

Then they gave us the book of camp songs (hymns) we were to sing and a list of items the girls were to bring. The list for the girls included curling irons, pillows, make-up etc. I was floored. The camping experience was only for two days and there really wasn't much camping.

My parents sent me to a private summer camp and we had no make-up, curling irons, pillows, and perfume. When we camped we ate dried fruit and nuts or baked beans in a can. We washed in the lake and slept in tents rather than cabins. We really roughed it and I learned a lot about nature, the outdoors, and survival. The church's young women's camp out was a joke.

Luckily something came up at work and I couldn't be a leader or I would have puked giving lessons on temple marriage and picking out wedding gowns.

Does this new directive mean that girls will be excommunicated if they join the Boy Scouts? Yahoo!! We apostates are making progress without even trying.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 12:49AM

What you missed, according to what I've learned here, is the final night at girl's camp where they get them each and every one, to bear a testimony.

It is manipulation, pure and simple.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 01:10AM

Even worse. Forced testimony meeting. What a racket.

I remember some program (Youth Conference?) my sister and I went to in the summer right after we joined the church. Some old guy gave a lecture about how sad it was that many kids didn't have parents who were Mormon and they wouldn't be in the afterlife together. My dad wasn't lds and I cried through the whole lecture. Worse youth experience ever. Even worse was after that experience I spent years on my knees praying for my dad to join LDS, Inc. He never did.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 02:39AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What you missed, according to what I've learned
> here, is the final night at girl's camp where they
> get them each and every one, to bear a testimony.
>
>
> It is manipulation, pure and simple.

I went when I was six and seven because my dad was the token male, so our whole family was there. I don't actually remember much about the testimonies at those camps.

At the girls' camps my sisters attended, bearing testimonies was optional, and sometimes there wasn't time for everyone who wanted to speak. It was still terrible, I'm sure, but they weren't forced to bear testimonies at the camps my sisters attended. I don't know about other camps.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 01:33PM

Pooped Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was called to serve on the ward's weekend
> of camping for the young women (forgot what it was
> called)

When my mom was doing it about 40 years ago, they called it rough-out camp. I helped with some of the transportation. What they brought definitely did not qualify for roughing it.

A relative of mine has done it for years outside of Utah and they call it girls camp. They definitely were not roughing it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 12, 2017 08:08AM

The Mormon church intends to exclude women from the priesthood as long as possible.

This action by boy scouts, since Mormons associated it with priesthood-prep school, must have LDS leadership wondering if women will push into their other protected roles.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.