Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rosco ( )
Date: October 23, 2017 11:53PM

Murder 4 people, one of which is a 15 year old girl, cut her genitals out to prove you did it (and to make a purse), get excommunicated, do your time, talk to a GA, then get rebaptized:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/man-who-killed-people-lives-quietly-in-wyoming-s-bridger/article_077eb6c9-d476-57f9-ae67-30b675780630.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 23, 2017 11:59PM

Where did Hickey get 30 sticks of dynamite ?

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 01:16AM

It was stolen from Schreiner's ranch in 1976.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 01:34AM

Which begs the question .... How did Schreiner get it ?

Date: October 24, 2017 01:54AM

He was licensed and in legal possession of it.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 01:58AM

The powers of the LDS church can perform whatever mumbo jumbo they want by way of exonerating someone, but if there is a God, or even if we're just left to deal with our own karma, what happens after death may be a rude awakening to some people.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 03:15AM

I think after Mark Hoffman, dynamite doesn't faze them.

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 03:28AM

Old news article and even an older story. All about stupid youthful mistakes, changing for the better, forgiveness, and moving on. Not really about LDS. IMHO
That said, the justice and prison system leaves much to be desired and is in no way equitable at all.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 05:37AM

"Stupid, youthful mistakes?" Surely you jest. A stupid, youthful mistake is drinking too much and getting pulled over for it. Or maybe some petty vandalism. This man murdered a young woman and cut out her genitals. In a separate incident he was essentially hired to murder another person, and murdered three in the process.

He is a sociopath, and a dangerous one at that. Sociopaths are incapable of reforming. They are incapable of being truly penitant. What they CAN do is to figure out what is accepted in society so that they can "pass." Inside of them, they still lack a conscience.

Personally, I think there are some sins that only God can forgive. I would not attend any church this man attends, and I wouldn't go near him nor let him anywhere near my loved ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2017 11:21AM by summer.

Date: October 24, 2017 08:54AM

No, it was not "all about stupid youth mistakes". It involved the bombing and murder of a judge, his wife and one of their sons. It involved the torture and murder of another High School alumni, the murderers who did that were never found or prosecuted. It involved the murder and mutilation of a beautiful girl, a friend who did not gradutate with me. It led to the only Wyoming execution since the 1960s. The executed had not done the murders. He was convicted and executed for ordering them. One of the murderers is the subject of this, who is now a re-baptized member of the LDS church. The entirety of the events shattered the community and left scars that still linger. I will never be baptized into that church after it allowed that murderer to be re-baptized. Forgiveness will never bring Kellie back. "Changing for the better and moving on" happens when someone steals apples from a tree. Forgiveness you say? It is as if Mormonism's version of forgiveness still hangs on to you mankosuki.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 10:10AM

A “mistake” is when you add 8+9 and get 19. —not when you murder people!

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 10:14AM

"All about stupid youthful mistakes" -- I have seen some dumb replies over the years, but this one takes the cake. Are you Hickey's stake president or something? Little flecks of history, eh?

Date: October 25, 2017 02:21AM

mankosuki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Old news article and even an older story. All
> about stupid youthful mistakes, changing for the
> better, forgiveness, and moving on. Not really
> about LDS. IMHO

My wife watches "Judge Judy" while the children nap. Judith Sheindlin was a family court judge before taking on the tV gig and was known for being tough on juvenile offenders. While watching her show isn't my idea of a good time, I agree with her idea that if a person is killed by a juvenile, he or she is every bit as dead as if the killer had been thirty-five.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 11:05AM

He traveled to Salt Lake City and went before a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He says a church leader told him that if he had any pieces of history relating to what happened — newspaper clippings, books, court documents — to get rid of them. “That’s the past,” he was told.

I think that's pretty sick.

Date: October 24, 2017 11:35AM

Getting rid of documents is soooo Mormon.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 11:20AM

I wonder... did the GA contact the family members of the victims? I Guess NOT;

TSCC can't afford Stupidity Insurance, + no one will write it for them.

just sayin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2017 11:50AM by GNPE.

Date: October 24, 2017 11:54AM

No, family of victims and others close to them were not contacted.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 11:55AM

This story reminds me of Anne Perry. Murderer who converted to the LDS church and has spoken at BYU.

Date: October 24, 2017 12:05PM

Hickey was not 15 when he murdered. Some of us knew about his history of torturing and killing animals. The excuse of drinking doesn't cut it either because most of us in that High School drank heavily too. Many classmates died in automobile accidents related to drinking but we didn't go out and murder and sexually mutilate a 15 year old girl who was one of my classmates and we didn't murder an attorney, his wife and son. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can keep their murderers. I will never be a member of that church.

Date: October 24, 2017 01:24PM

Torturing and killing animals is an early indicator of sociopathy.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 01:43PM

I feel like shtuff when I scold my four month old puppy for stealing my flip flop. I call these people oxygen thieves.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 24, 2017 02:11PM

You remember what B.Y. taught. The only way to repent of murder is to spill your own blood or have the potential to be a big tithe payer in the future. This guy's family was very high profile, obviously with a lot of Wyoming land.

I remember being so taken with Anne Perry mystery novels just because she was a mormon. That was why I liked her initially, but I really do think she's a wonderful writer. It was long after the movie Heavenly Creatures (with Kate Winslet) was made that I found out the real Juliet Hulme was Anne Perry. And the funny thing is that by that time, I was more worried about whether she'd stop writing than whether she'd be excommunicated for murder. But her bishop assured her that she'd been completely forgiven and of course, should keep writing (and paying her restitution in 10% to LDS, Inc.)

Posted by: Legmaker ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 01:21AM

Wow, just wow. I read the recovery board nightly, but this is the first time I've felt compelled to respond. 40 years ago, when I was 17, my father and sister were murdered during a random armed robbery at our home. My mother was seriously injured. I awoke to the sound of gunshot and had to jump over their bodies to run to safety. The two assailants were 17 and 18 years old. They had murdered two other people in the 9 days previous to my family. People who are capable of these crimes are committing serious crimes, not stupid youthful mistakes. I can't believe that he is able to move on with his life, move back home, get rebaptised and act like his sins are forgiven. Not only that, he gets an article written about him like he is a celebrity. You know who doesn't get to move on with their lives and pretend it never happened, his victims! And his victims are many. It is everyone who ever loved these people. The thought of that poor 15 year old girl suffering is heartbreaking. I can guarantee her mother never forgot.

Date: October 25, 2017 03:40AM

I would have no mercy as a hudge or juror in either case.

Date: October 25, 2017 06:46PM

I completely agree with you, Legmaker, and I'm so sorry that your life was ripped apart so brutally.

Date: October 25, 2017 09:22PM

How awful for you, Legmaker! I’m so sorry this happened to your family!

Date: October 25, 2017 09:28PM

Murder four people. Get excommunicated. Meet with a GA. Get rebaptized ... unless your parents are a same-couple.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 07:12PM

This is one of those cases where I picture Jesus, behind his desk, saying: "Oh, boy, what to do, what to do, what to do?"

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 07:30PM

I have long thought that the LDS church is led by a bunch of unqualified pretenders who in the process of pretending to be "inspired" can do grave harm.

I do not know the right way to deal with a murderer of even one person much less a serial murderer. But I'm guessing the church leader who passed on this advice is no more qualified than I am:

"He says a church leader told him that if he had any pieces of history relating to what happened — newspaper clippings, books, court documents — to get rid of them.

'That’s the past,' he was told."

Maybe that's terrific advice for a murderer. Or maybe it's TERRIBLE advice, and maybe the murderer should remind himself daily of what he did. I don't know. I'm betting neither did that leader know. And he's the one pretending to be led by deity and feeling free to pass out potentially disastrous advice.

Dangerous.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 08:01PM

I betcha part of it is the expectation by the 'forgiving' party that he will be elevated in the mind of the forgiven party, along with the organization authorizing the forgiveness.

There's no consideration for the victims, just the anticipation for the expected gratitude.

It is distinctly sick and twisted.

Posted by: Legmaker ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 12:54AM

There is a big difference between forgiveness and justice. I finally forgave my family’s murderers. It took 20 years and I did it for myself. Hating them had no affect on their life, but it was destroying mine. It’s interesting that the scriptures tell us that we must forgive and even how many times to forgive; but it doesn’t tell you what forgiveness means or how to do it. I learned that forgiveness means letting go of the hate. Justice means paying for the crime. I no longer spend any time hating these criminals, but every parole hearing, I’m there in force actively keeping them in prison. (Actually just one now, the other guy did the decent thing and died in prison a few years ago). This prisoner comes with his Bible and list of Bible studies he’s completed. And to be honest, I really hope he has changed. He can do so much good helping others in prison. It’s where he belongs. Whe has demonstrated the kind of evil he is capable of. I can’t help but think of that 15 year olds family. The fear and pain gets softer, but never goes away. This was a small town, he is allowed to roam free there, but what about the victims family? Do they still live there or did they have to move because the pain and fear is too great running into him. I still live in fear and I know my assailant is in prison, I couldn’t handle living anywhere near him

Posted by: Just Wonderin ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 03:27AM

People who haven't been victims of serious crimes, or had their loved ones be such victims, just don't get it. Not really. Many try to empathize,and certainly mean well, but I'm convinced the level of emotional pain and fear victims experience is beyond the ability of someone who hasn't gone through it themselves, because it is so much worse than can be imagined.

For me and my family, it's been a decade. The SOB is still in prison (an indeterminate life sentence, where parole may be possible at some point). He manipulates the legal system in an effort to regain his freedom. In the meantime, we still have nightmares, we still have fresh wounds on top of old wounds whenever we have to go face him in court. Despite some progress in victim's rights laws, we get revictimized over and over and over again.

I've worked hard to try to forgive, in just the sense you mentioned so it won't continue to have power over my emotional well-being, but it just never seems to end.

The word mistake doesn't even begin to start to commence to approach the right concept. Not sure I believe in god or the devil, but I sure believe in evil.

Date: October 26, 2017 05:53AM

You said it well. Letting go of hate for the individual. For me that doesn't mean trusting him or liking him or even wanting to be around him. But no longer hating him is a kind of freedom. On the other hand, the Mormon church re-baptizing him is an entirely different matter. The article in the post makes it sound like he was a youth and a drunk and he could be redeemed. I knew him. He was 23 when he killed Kellie, who was only 15. He wasn't a young teen himself. The article makes it sound like Hopkins was the evil influence in his life. That is bullshit. He killed Kellie before Hopkins began using him. All of us who knew him knew he was a crazy bastard. It is true that I can no longer hate him, but my feelings toward the Mormon church on this matter go deeper than words can say. Restitution cannot be made for the lives he took. The church cannot make things right for the non-members whose lives were so deeply impacted by him. But the church can leave a deep empty wound by re-baptizing him. Does he now hold the priesthood? Did he receive his endowments in the temple? I don't judge Mike in comparison to those who committed the Mountain Meadows Massacre, but I do judge the church. Just as it hid the actions of those murderers of 1857, tried to bury the facts and allowed them to remain members in good standing, it is doing the same even now. The Mormon church can own its murderers but it will never own me.

Posted by: legmaker ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 05:32PM

Just Wonderin, I'm so sorry you have experienced this also. Yes we have made great strides in Victim Rights, but not enough. 40 years ago, there wasn't even a department of victim services, no help of any kind and PTSD was not even a diagnosis. Fortunately, at that time, the ward family, was a family and helped us tremendously. It was the elders quorum that cleaned the crime scene. I don't know if the church would do that for someone anymore (but actually, homeowners insurance now covers crime scene cleanup)

My family's murderers only got life (with possible parole) because life without parole was not the law in 1977. Their first parole hearings were after only 6 years. They had each had 12 parole hearings before I even found out about them. All I had to do to be notified was to fill out a form with the Office of Victim Services, but since there was not form and no office in 1977, I didn't know.

The first Parole hearing I attended was 7 years ago. I was surprised how healing it was. It was the first time I had ever faced one of them. I walked out of that parole hearing a different person, I was now a survivor, no longer a victim! I also learned that I was a Bad Ass, I had no idea!! BTW he has been denied twice since I began attending. I strongly encourage you to attend when the time comes. The parole commissioners will tell you it doesn't make any difference on their decision, but I know it does. They would have to look me in the eye and tell me they are going to release him---that would have to be uncomfortable at the very least.

I'm proud of you for continuing to fight him in court. They know all of the games and we as victims, continue to relive it. I always say, I forgave them for me, but I fight to keep them incarcerated for everyone else. No one should ever have to feel that level of pain and fear. But to be honest, I also fight to keep him incarcerated for me also. I don't want to feel the level of fear that I would surely feel if he were to ever be paroled. If you want to talk further, you may email me lyduncancp@gmail.com

Anon for this, does Kellie's family still live in the area. I could not imagine how hard that must be for them.

Date: October 26, 2017 06:22PM

TMI to discuss Kellie's family on this forum.
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=6917932

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.