Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 1010111 ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 11:14AM

I'm interested to know what advice others have been given by church leaders that has been completely wrong. For me, as an undergrad at one of the lord's universities I went in for a temple recommend so I could get married to my wife, who was from a latin american country. I'm white. Anyway, the 2nd counselor, a student or recent grad I can't remember, was just not having it, we wouldn't work out, we're too different because of our different cultures, etc. all with never meeting my soon to be wife. I listened for about 10 minutes and said I'm not here for your permission just sign the card. He said he couldn't. To be in a room with someone that thought they had the authority to tell me who to marry was a unique experience. Then bishop came in and said something like well it's your life and signed off.

So, 20some years later, we're still married, have kids, and a nice life which is so weird because the counselor specifically told me that he felt inspired to say the things he was saying and withhold the recommend. Any advice that you didn't follow that worked out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 12:06PM

Since I am not 87 but do suffer from lethologica, I would just like to say that if your life requires permission from so called "authorities", you may be in a cult.

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 12:22PM

Not going to a mission will damage permanently your eternal progess.

The endowment ceremony will make you a better person.

You must go to a mission to develope yourself in order to return and choose a right worthy lds lady to become your eternal partner.

By my bishop (all in the same day, my last day in the cult)

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 12:33PM

Marry her and marry her fast (MP)

Thank goodness I didn't. Met the best girl with so little drama compared to the chick I almost shackled myself to on whim.

Crazy to think I let a dude I barely met try to make decisions for my whole life.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 01:37PM

Hey there Buffalo
Any word on interviews?

Gatorman

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 03:45PM

Thanks for the follow up gatorman,

I have been officially rejected at 8 out of the 40 i applied to. Last week I started calling a few schools to let them know when I would be in the area for potential interviews (if my application was being considered that far)--this was a recommendation from a doctor I met last year. I'm fairly pleased with how its worked. Many of the schools "put a note" on my application and even said they would get it to the committee to review whether or not they could accommodate. The others ended up in rejection, at least they told me now rather than make me wait.

Still waiting for the first interview...crossing my fingers, I'm anxious.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 01:08PM

Mormon lay leaders are really good at running other people's lives because they have so little to lose.

When they're next to God on a pedestal, they think their shit is holier than the rest of the gang.

God has to have a sense of humor not to knock em down like a bowling pin for being so narcissistic.

Or long suffering of mortal fools.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 02:28PM

The stake president told my wife and I not
To bother with marriage counseling until after my church court. It took 2 months to get the high council ass embled. Talk about 2 long months lots of bad dialog that should not have happened between my wife and I that could have been avoided.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 04:05PM

Everything was horrible advice when i look back now. They are all stuck in the bubble of the cult what do they really know about life.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 04:45PM

Many times I was told that Heavenly Father was displeased with my decision to spend Saturdays with my inactive father instead of participating in youth service projects.

Wasn't a church leader, but at age 10 I was told by a primary teacher that I would never see my family in heaven because my older siblings had stopped attending church. That was a horrible mind fukk that haunted me for a very long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 04:45PM by messygoop.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 06:30PM

My home teacher assigned himself to be the expert in all things in my life. He told me I should abandon my chosen profession because there would be no need for that kind of work in the millennium!
I didn't exactly follow his advice. I stayed with the profession but abandoned him and his church.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 08:22PM

Giving people permission to direct your life now seems so stupid, yet I believed in that concept for many years, as did most of us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.