Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Emmeline ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 04:51PM

I was with a friend (still active) walking around the St George temple recently and I thought to myself how temples are undeniably beautiful in their design and landscape. I love seeing temples, even though I haven't been active in years. And for me, I'm also not impressed by the endowment or any of the inner ceremonies. They've always seemed lackluster, dull, and about--more than anything else--GIVE EVERYTHING TO THE CHURCH, OBEY THE CHURCH.
I just can't imagine temples are being put to their best use...
I really do believe that as religion continues to decline and spirituality continues to grow, one day (maybe in my lifetime, maybe not), mormon temples will become simply temples open to anyone who wishes to commune with the Divine (however they interpret that to be God/highest self/Goddess/Universe/etc). I imagine them being used more like schools, where people come into an endowment room and contemplate spiritual ideas and discuss together. The temples will be to spiritually foster the growth of individuals, rather than recommmend-holding mormons being herded through repetitive and boring sessions like cattle.
I don't have an issue with people still wearing white, but wouldn't have a problem with the clothing being changed. Scrap the pioneer veils and baker hats, for one. Maybe people would simply wear some type of robe of whatever color they'd like, I don't know.
As things currently exist, with greed and pride running amuk in society, I don't picture the Church giving up their temples to the betterment of humanity any time soon but I think that the world will someday reach that point. Again, maybe not in my lifetime, but someday.
What do you think? How would you change the temple if you could? :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 05:07PM

You have had a vision of the complete collapse of MORmONISM.

LDS inc is just like some one playing strip poker who is down to their very last piece of clothing. After that last piece of clothing is finally gone then there is nothing left to hold in reserve and the game is over, as the entire seedy deal is finally completely exposed and no suspense is left and huge disappointment sets in.

LDS inc has ALREADY been forced to acknowledge what the interior of their temples looks like, what their stupid goofy temple attire looks like, the only things left in reserve are the super embarrassing secret passwords and super embarrassing secret handshakes.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 05:23PM

You dreamer you.

:)

I've had a similar premonition about Temple Square, downtown SLC. Only not that it will be converted into a community project open to everyone. Mine was more along the lines it will become a bombed out ruin someday in the future - and all that will be left will be the skeletal remains of what it is today.

As long as Mormonism continues it will use the temples as they're being used now IMO. The church would need to give up its entire premise that JS was a prophet sent to earth to bring the fulfillment of the gospel in latter days. Anything less than that it collapses the entire house of cards for what it is: a marketing strategy based on fraud in the inception.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 05:25PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 05:24PM

I still wouldn't go to one.

Ever.

p.s. "spirituality" is growing?

Posted by: -1Emmeline ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 07:15PM

I suppose if you a dungeons and dragons like architecture. I've always thought of the temples I've seen as an abomination to the architectural community.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 07:17PM

Been there, done that. Many, many times. I was even an ordinance worker for a few months. That's when my shelf began to collapse. Go figure. I have no desire whatsoever to go again even if they all become museums.

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 09:32PM

I used to think that endowment ceremonies were classes where you learn the most important things of the gospel.
So your idea of being open places where gospel topics are discussed isn't mad for me, what's more I think it's far better than all the masonic BS.
Despite this I think TSCC wouldn't open its temples to everyone because they are used to brainwash people to give everything to the church.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 12:01PM

Years ago at an Exmo Social here board regular Norma Rae made an asute observation about how the building of a temple in an area increases tithing revenues...

'Nuff said. Follow the money...

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 12:06PM

My bad meant to post somewhere else

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2017 12:08PM by sbg.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.