Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 01:12AM

Yes, It's Theodore Shoebat once again ....

" Atheists, on the other hand, they need to be inquisited, bottom line. They need to be inquisited and I think that when you have atheist enclaves in society, when you have atheist strongholds in society, atheist establishments that are very influential and when you see how fanatic they are, how much they hate Christianity, how much they hate God, how much they hate the church, you really can’t tolerate people like that and those people need the death penalty."

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 01:21AM by Dave the Atheist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 01:15AM

It seems we're the only people who believe in death. The religious are the ones who deny it. How can they threaten us with something they don't believe in? Unless the truth is that all are atheists at some level.

Posted by: gordo ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 05:25PM

One of my favorites:

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."......Stephen Roberts

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 02:22AM

They sound like scared, ignorant hicks. What a KKK type mentality.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 05:49AM

Is this guy saying "deserve" the death penalty?

We all get the death penalty.

Posted by: PT Barnum not logged in ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 06:51AM

How can we "hate" God when we don't believe it's a real concept?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 06:55AM

Exactly! I frankly am hot for the goddess Athena, but, well, she simply doesn't exist..

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 01:10PM

Yeah, you can say all of those statues can be sexy , in a way.
I used to think that of a lot of the male statues , big muscles, defined facial features, exposed members.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 10:36PM

I think of Athena every time I see an owl - or a picture of one. Her wisdom - I like to think of "wisdom" as a defining quality in a deity. (I've had that attitude since visiting Greece, 11+ years ago.)

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 07:39AM

Here’s a little bit more of the quote. Apparently, atheists don’t need to be killed as much as gays do:

“(Banned word) and atheists need to be purged from society,” Shoebat said. “(Banned word) automatically need to be put to death, that’s a no-brainer because they have already committed the crime of homosexuality. Atheists, on the other hand, they need to be inquisited, bottom line. They need to be inquisited and I think that when you have atheist enclaves in society, when you have atheist strongholds in society, atheist establishments that are very influential and when you see how fanatic they are, how much they hate Christianity, how much they hate God, how much they hate the church, you really can’t tolerate people like that and those people need the death penalty.”

Edited to remove Banned word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 07:51AM by CrispingPin.

Date: November 08, 2017 09:01AM

Thanx. I tried to post the whole thing but I kept getting the nonsensical banned word message and I couldn't figure out what the word was.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 11:05AM

That is straight up scary. People saying stuff like that about me when they don't even know me. It sounds like something out of the Handmaid's Tale.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 09:04AM

I think part of the reason some of the religious are so gung-ho for killing people they think are 'sinners' or 'heretics' is their belief in an after-life. One where these supposed 'sinners' will be cast into a fiery pit of burning flesh for eternity.

It seems they just can't wait to send people they hate there. Hating them here isn't enough torture, they want to send 'em off to Satan for the kind of torture they can't do here.

The old, "kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out' thing. That kind of belief in an afterlife cheapens *real* life ('it's just a short blip in eternity'), and lessens objections to killing real people in the real world -- 'cause imaginary god or imaginary satan will take care of 'em in the imaginary afterlife.

Posted by: Atheist ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 09:26AM

It's quite ironic that his "love of god" leads him to fear, hate and death, while my atheism supports his right to believe as he chooses.

I can't apologize that I think extremism to be a set of stupid, depraved behaviors, a wasting of life. What extremists do for me is offer a sharp contrast to just how calm and peaceful - and loved - I feel. I would never want to feel as hateful and fearful as he does.

Sometimes I wonder if my satiation in life isn't also a certain lack of awareness of just how dangerous his sort of faction might become in our relatively peaceful and moderate society. He wishes to foment hate; misery loves company.

Does he realize -at all- that he speaks and writes as car-bombing terrorists do? I'd like to believe that the FBI does.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 10:28AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 01:20AM

Nicely stated.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 11:15AM

Shoebat? "Something stuck to his shoe that came from a bat" type of crazy.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 11:18AM

Cue the "no true Christian" argument.

Date: November 08, 2017 11:38AM

That's why I was careful to put "some of the religious" in my reply :)

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 12:00PM

Very wise, though, I don't doubt there is a "true Christian" out there, somewhere, feeling persecuted by this thread anyway.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 01:00PM

@Dave the Atheist, this post doesnt even have anything to do with Mormonism or recovery from Mormonism. This is you just preaching your atheism again... Its kind of funny though.

Date: November 08, 2017 01:06PM

Yes it does. Atheism is part of many people's recovery on the board, after leaving mormonism. Insights into how atheists are perceived in society may be useful to a recovering mormon, whether they are atheist or not.

Why is it such a big deal to you? Let the mods decide what it does and doesn't have to do with it.

Date: November 08, 2017 02:05PM

So Dave the Atheist (preacher) comes to a site about Mormonism to preach atheism just because he decided to become an atheist.

So if a person went from a Mormon to a Muslim then could that person preach Islam on this board? Could he talk all day about how Muhammad was better than Joseph Smith. I dont think so.

Plus he quotes someone who was never Mormon and wasnt even talking about Mormonism...

Date: November 08, 2017 02:11PM

"Preaching" is where you have it wrong. There's no preaching in the OP.

preach
prēCH/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: preaching

deliver a sermon or religious address to an assembled group of people, typically in church.
"he preached to a large congregation"
synonyms: give/deliver a sermon, sermonize, address, speak More

publicly proclaim or teach (a religious message or belief).
"a church that preaches the good news"
synonyms: proclaim, teach, spread, propagate, expound
"he preached the gospel to them"

earnestly advocate (a belief or course of action).
"my parents have always preached toleration and moderation"
synonyms: advocate, recommend, advise, urge, teach, counsel
"they preach toleration"

Date: November 08, 2017 02:52PM

@ Jonny the Smoke, by your own definition, "earnestly advocate (a belief or course of action)", he is preaching...

Date: November 08, 2017 03:09PM

Theodore Shoebat is preaching.

I don't see preaching by Dave the Atheist in this post. Conveying yes, preaching no.

you seem quite upset about the whole thing for some reason.

Date: November 08, 2017 08:09PM

@Jonny the smoke, I am not upset. I am laughing out loud. He takes a obscure quote from a obscure person to talk about a non-issue...

Where is there a debate about giving atheists the death penalty in America? There isnt any. Maybe in Iran but not in America.

Its just a weird silly post to begin with.

Date: November 08, 2017 09:09PM

So you've cast your ballot. Care to tally the totals?

Or does that not matter, because when a Deist speaks, the matter is settled? (Where have I heard that before...???)

Date: November 08, 2017 09:42PM

@elderolddog, I wasnt making an authoritarian argument. I was saying that fearing atheists will be put to death is like fearing that Mennonites will ban buttons in clothing...

Date: November 08, 2017 10:06PM

From the quotation used as the fodder for this thread, the threat seems to exist.

Granted, since I will immediately utter "Praise ghawd from whom all blessings flow!" if challenged by a posse of armed Christians, I'm not too worried about the 'death penalty', but it isn't too outlandish to consider the possibility that the extreme Right would probably be all in favor of the penalty.

It's mostly howling at the moon, but sometimes that feels good, and with this rowdy atheist crowd, feeling good comes easy and often.

Date: November 09, 2017 01:20PM

@elderolddog, you said "but it isn't too outlandish to consider the possibility that the extreme Right would probably be all in favor of the penalty". Actually it is outlandish unless you are living in an Islamic theocracy.

That hasnt happened in America since the Puritans of 400 years ago. I dont see the humor in the post but it is hard to recognize humor on a text only message board.

Just seems that posts like this are provocative trolling not humor.

Date: November 09, 2017 01:38PM

isthechurchtrue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually it is outlandish unless you
> are living in an Islamic theocracy.

And yet...the OP was a quote from a far-right-christian who clearly stated his preference for what you called "outlandish."

Does that represent any kind of "majority" of thought among christians in the US? Of course not.

Then again, 2 years ago I would have thought that a race-baiting, white-supremacist-enabling, misogynistic, lying asshat couldn't have gathered enough support in the US to be elected to anything. And then it happened. That teaches me to never underestimate how people can be manipulated into fear by charismatic maniacs...:)

Date: November 09, 2017 08:55PM

@ificouldhietokolob, you are apparently detached from reality. You just bought into Dave the Atheists (preacher) fear mongering non-sense.

Date: November 13, 2017 04:20PM

isthechurchtrue Wrote:
> @ificouldhietokolob, you are apparently detached
> from reality. You just bought into Dave the
> Atheists (preacher) fear mongering non-sense.

"Reality" is that a christian preacher in the US NOW wants the death penalty for atheists.
That guy merits all the criticism and condemnation he gets.

As I pointed out, I know very well that's not a majority US christian position.

You seem to want to refuse to acknowledge that there are christian preachers in the US saying such things.
The reality is, there are.

So -- who's "detached?"

Date: November 13, 2017 07:21PM

@ificouldhietokolob Well I didnt say the person didnt say that. What I said was that fearing that Atheists would be put to death in America for being Atheists was about as realistic as fearing Mennonites would confiscate your buttons. Stop creating straw men. I didnt say what you claim I said. That is why I said this is fear mongering.

Date: November 13, 2017 08:10PM

isthechurchtrue Wrote:
> @ificouldhietokolob Well I didnt say the person
> didnt say that. What I said was that fearing that
> Atheists would be put to death in America for
> being Atheists was about as realistic as fearing
> Mennonites would confiscate your buttons. Stop
> creating straw men. I didnt say what you claim I
> said. That is why I said this is fear mongering.

I never said I "feared" anything.
Only that this asshat merited criticism and condemnation.

It's not "fear mongering" to criticize people who call for the death penalty over religion (or lack thereof).

No strawman. You claimed I was "detached from reality."
Once again, the "reality" is that there are people calling for the death penalty for atheists. You seem to want me to pretend nobody is doing that -- pass. Incidentally, I'd levy just as much criticism (and have) at atheists calling for the death penalty for christians. And while that's certainly not anything the majority of atheists want, there are a very few doing just that. They get my public criticism, too. Whether you approve of it or not.

Date: November 09, 2017 01:40PM

I wasn't going for humor in the phrase you quoted. I love humor and promote it assiduously, but the fact that there are people who want me dead based on, perhaps not my belief, but lack of belief, isn't funny.

400 years since death was the penalty for unbelief? I don't see it that way. 9/11 victims died because of unbelievers were thought to merit that penalty. Civil rights workers in the 60s were killed for not believing in segregation... etc., etc.

I sincerely believe that death is always on the minds of tyrannical/tyrannically minded people.

We're way less than 50 years from when killing Blacks, Indians and Hispanics (blanket: non-White) was simply not viewed as being a all that big a crime, compared to dealing death to Whitey.

Most non-Whites when pulled over by a SoCal police authority are very aware that they HAVE to show their hands from the git-go.

I'm not 'happy' treating with these subjects because they, to me, are without immediate solution. Words aren't going to solve them.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 01:19AM

I think it is naïve to state that Atheists are not often hated and feared by our wider culture.

Date: November 09, 2017 03:12AM

I agree, summer, but with the proviso: in the US, not everywhere else and certainly not in most developed countries.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 02:22PM

isthechurchtrue Wrote:

> So if a person went from a Mormon to a Muslim then
> could that person preach Islam on this board?
> Could he talk all day about how Muhammad was
> better than Joseph Smith. I dont think so.

Sure he could! But within ten posts he'd be "offended".

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 01:26PM

Theodore Shoebat might just as well preach from Alma chapter 30.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 06:44PM

Preaching would mean saying something like"Athiesm is the best way to think and it's really the only true way to think" I am an Athiest but my atheism only works for me and me alone . I care not one bit what others believe unless it causes real harm to others .Ant belief system can cause harm or could also cause positive benefit .When it comes to government and laws I want the government to be neutral and not give support to any belief system be it God or no God

Posted by: Atheist ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 08:46PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism

"Christian atheism is a form of Cultural Christianity and a system of ethics which draws its beliefs and practices from the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, as recorded in the Gospels of the New Testament and other sources, while rejecting the supernatural claims of Christianity at large. "

Date: November 08, 2017 09:11PM

Date: November 09, 2017 03:14AM

I suspect that describes me, as most of us have received our moral framework from the Judaeo-Christian tradition because of where we grew up.

(this is a reply to Atheist)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 03:14AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 08, 2017 10:22PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Yes, It's Theodore Shoebat once again ....
>
> " Atheists, on the other hand, they need to be
> inquisited, bottom line. They need to be
> inquisited and I think that when you have atheist
> enclaves in society, when you have atheist
> strongholds in society, atheist establishments
> that are very influential...

The following religions are considered, in whole or in part, atheistic religions:

Buddhism 488 million people (est.)
Jainism 3 million people (est.)
Confucianism 6 million people (est.)
Taoism 12 million people (est.)
Judaism [say: 4 million (out of 14 million total) (est.)]
Hinduism [say: 500 million (out of 1.15 BILLION total) (est.)]
(one of the two main divisions of Hinduism is atheistic, and
it includes Vedanta, which is the Hinduism I was raised in)

> ...and when you see how fanatic they are:
This is nonsense.

> ...how much they hate Christianity
This is nonsense.

> ...how much they hate God [which begs the extremely important question of: "which God"?]
This is a nonsense statement; most of the above people don't even think of the Christian God as they live their lives.

> ...how much they hate the church
The CHRISTIAN church? The Christian church has not the slightest impact on most of the people cited above. This is a nonsense statement, too.

> ...you really can’t tolerate people like
> that and those people need the death penalty."

You want to execute more than a billion people on this planet because they do not believe in Y-O-U-R God (or most any other god, either)???

This is well beyond nonsense...it is true insanity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 10:27PM by Tevai.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 11:00AM

So the death penalty is the answer for people we can't tolerate? Well, there goes the entire population. For me, it would be most religious nuts. For other people it would be me.

But you know, that's what Jesus taught. I guess.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 11:15AM

How about I give TS an enema for y’all?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 01:31PM

I think thats what he needs Boner..... Good idea !!!!!!

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: November 09, 2017 02:24PM

Don't use Tang.

Date: November 09, 2017 01:40PM

Hot Folger's, perhaps?

Date: November 09, 2017 02:16PM

Cold sacrament wine.

Date: November 09, 2017 08:57PM

Concentrated capsaicin sauce right up the ass with no milk in sight!

Date: November 09, 2017 11:53PM

That would really hurt !!! *LOL*

Date: November 10, 2017 01:33AM

Happy to guard your back, Dave! Brohugs, wanker!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 01:30AM

I get that what they are trying to say is to behave like people did during the Spanish Inquisition (which most people regard with distaste, but apparently not this guy.)

But what does he really MEAN? Bring somebody in for questioning, or do the whole fire, torture, rape and pillage thing? Really?

Talk about a giant step backwards for civilization. (Not to mention an awkward grammatical entanglement.)

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 07:28PM

The haters cannot tolerate atheists because they are proof the mchurch is NOT true.
The inquisition was also about stealing the lands and resources and wealth of other peoples.And a few other reasons, too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 07:30PM by itzbeen20.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 12:20AM

Hockeyrat Wrote:
> You'd also probably burn out his insides It burns
> , like crazy on skin, can't imagine if you put one
> up there. Membrane and similiar, probably wish
> you were dead. Sounds good for really bad guys

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.