Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lostinthesky ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 01:00PM

I had tried to learn from the missionaries. I asked many questions, prob more than 19 y/o boys could handle. Things like where did your faith cone from, because I have no concept? How do you talk to Jesus if he died? I'm genuinely spiritually lost, and wasn't trying to screw with them.There was a strange energy with one,who'd obviously check me out, blush when he spoke to me, and look at my breasts then say I reminded him of his mother. Anyhow, they just stopped answering my questions. I feel uncomfortable. I guess they view me as hopeless or not good enough to grace their church. It's pretty insulting because I'm actually a good person...I thought!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 01:46PM

They are mostly ill mannered boys. If you really feel like you want Mormon answers, talk to the lady missionaries. They'll give you the same bs, but without the creepiness.

Date: November 10, 2017 01:52PM

Haha. Yes, maybe. I'm discouraged at this point

Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 10:04PM

Yeah seriously fuck those 19 year old kids. Get over yourself.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 02:19PM

Most of the missionaries are inexperienced, raised-in-the-church kids. Their "faith" came from habit and indoctrination, not from any kind of deep thought or intellectual exploration. They don't know much about their own church, or their own "faith." It's largely un-examined.

So if it's well-thought-out answers to "deep" spiritual questions you want, you're barking up the wrong tree. They don't have any of that. They have unexamined "testimonies" that have been ingrained in them with no thought since they were tots.

They also have a fake product they're selling -- and most of the time they don't even know it's fake. The simple fact is that there's ample evidence to show the church's truth claims are either demonstrably false, or entirely lacking supporting evidence -- hence there's no reason to "believe" them in any way. But they've never seen that evidence, they've just been told "it's true" and they've accepted it. Don't fall into the same trap they're caught in.

And, yes -- I speak from experience. I was once that inexperience, ignorant 19 year-old kid. And yes, when "teaching" a cute girl, I looked at her breasts, too...it's really hard being a vibrant young man ensconced in a forced-celibacy situation.

Date: November 10, 2017 02:30PM

I went seeking answers because I saw a possibility they must've had some great spiritial awakening. Why else would anyone at that age sacrifice two years of their lives? I wanted my questions answered, but should havw gone with my initil feelinf that they wouldn't know any better. I guess I wanted to ve spiritually connected, too. I feel like a failure tbh.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 08:17PM

"Why else would anyone at that age sacrifice two years of their lives?"

1. Peer pressure/family pressure
2. Serving as a missionary can be a faith-affirming experience: providing warm-fuzzies about their religious affiliation.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 02:27PM

Mormon missionaries have no theological training. They cannot answer theological questions outside of a set script.

For Mormons that is not a problem. They do not want to convert anyone who would question their theology or authority.

It in no way reflects upon you or your beliefs or values.

Don't take it personally.

Also be aware the church takes 18 and 19 year old teenagers are denies them social interaction and dating. So image an average teen male with 12 to 24 months of pent up needs.

Bottom line. Mormon missionaries are represed uninformed untrained teenagers trying to please their parents and church.

Best wishes on your spiritual quest.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 02:54PM

... and you wont find spiritual answers here.

I can try to give you some answers, but I get eaten alive by atheists (hordes of them on this board), censored by mods, or both.

I can't post links either, they get removed almost instantly.

I have answers, but it's just so frustrating that I can't tell you in this venue.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 03:26PM

Bullshit.

You have beliefs, not answers.
And you can't preach your religion here -- neither can anyone else.

Plenty of believers discuss their beliefs, post links, and discuss "spirituality." Your inability to follow simple forum rules, and your misdirected anger at the mods for your own failure to do so, is the problem.

Date: November 10, 2017 05:24PM

I'd like your input provided it isn't evangelical Christianity.I'm sorry you're being censored. I'd ve interested in hearing. Can you respond to me? I do understand that admins have the right to oversee, but I wish there was a place to discuss alternate religious beliefs.

Thx for the input,folks.

Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 03:43PM

The elders are 18-19 years old. They've only just graduated from high school and have never lived away from home before their missions. They have zero real life experience.

They have been sheltered in a bubble and haven't learned how to deal with others outside of their own faith, especially people of the opposite sex. They're socially awkward as a result.

No "spiritual awakenings" there. They're on missions because the church says they should. Some parents will kick the boys out if they don't go on missions. The boys are told that they'll get hot wives if they serve missions.

As for "not being good enough," it's just the opposite. You're too good for it. It's a deceitful, oppressive, high-demand cult in which obedience to authority is seen as the highest virtue.

It would have tried to control every aspect of your life. And if you don't believe me, please listen to this audio of one of their high-up leaders named David Bednar. It's truly creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVv0FQkPHN0

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 05:29PM

Listens to 24 seconds...shudders. Wants to cry like the smart children in the background.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 03:05AM

Well that says it all..
The church controls everything. Where you go, what you wear, what you eat and what you think.

I'm so glad I'm out...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 05:51PM

I think that your questions are very, very reasonable.

What I would do is go church-shopping. Some possibilities for you to check out are the UMC Methodists, the Presbyterians (PCUSA,) the Episcopalians, the ELCA Lutherans, and the UUs. There are others. For now, stick with mainstream churches with trained clergy. You can attend services for as long as you wish to with no pressure to join or get baptized. When you find a church that feels warm and friendly, and that has values that reflect your own, make an appointment with the minister to ask your questions. The minister will be more than happy to help you.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 07:34PM

Hopefully, you'll look into better churches and find one you like.

I suggest you do not join one that stalks strangers in their home and on the street.

Better churches don't need to go out beating the bushes to find members.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 08:21PM

"Better churches don't need to go out beating the bushes to find members."

Mormonism definitely requires persistent, high pressure, manipulative techniques to "make a sale".

Posted by: Boballooie0961 ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 09:09PM

Lost in the sky, the missionaries didn't answer your questions because they couldn't. You won't find your answers in the Mormon church, only more questions. I hope you find what your looking for.

Date: November 11, 2017 01:40AM

Thx, all. I hope I find it too. Of course, I love what someone said about my being too good instead of not worthy. Maybe she or he is rignt. I'm not deceitful and I'd never be rude so...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.