Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 02:07PM

and Helen Mar Kimball who was several months shy of 15.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 03:13PM

Does Mitt think that anyone cares what he thinks anymore? He had his moment and it has long passed. Especially after his humiliating spectacle when he was considered for a cabinet position for a nanosecond, he should just go on a senior mission and fade away from view.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 03:37PM

Don't write off Willard Mitt too soon .If Orrin finally decides to retire then guess who will be in SLC planning his run for the U.S. Senate about two seconds after Orrin announces . Yep Willard Mitt himself . I have zero doubt this will happen.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 03:40PM

He has decent credibility.

He may have been defeated multiple times and have humiliated himself by dining with Trump, but he has to count as one of the dozen most prominent Republicans. And as the party approaches the verge of collapse and is looking for a way forward, Romney represents the old, establishment GOP with reasonable policy values and opposition to at least the most egregious moral transgressions.

He'll never be president but he could still become an "elder statesman." And while I always opposed him as a presidential candidate, I do believe he can play a positive role right now because he is significantly better than the Trump-Bannon-Moore constellation. We've reached a point where Romney, George W. Bush, and a number of other profoundly limited men represent a step in the right direction.

Ironic, that, and sad.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 03:21PM

Didn't he say the same thing about Trump before he got elected, then dined on Frog Legs at Trump Tower after the fact while grovelling at his feet for a job in the Trump Administration?
He's got zero credibility in my book at this point.
He's a political oportunist, but it would have been fun to have him be President, just for all the MORmON jokes alone.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 06:58PM

This begs some other questions.

Did Mitt have his tweet cleared with LDS senior executive management before posting?

Mitt’s tweet indicates that he believes a female accuser over an older white man, which on the surface appears to contradict LDS policy.

I am guessing Mitt’s tweet is a better political move than LDS “licked cupcake” stories.

However, it may certainly start some uncomfortable discussions in LDSdom, as historically LDS inc has always blamed the female victim while excusing older, white male sexual aggressors.

This action should raise some LDS eyebrows.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 07:06PM

Oh the irony, there's a story on KSL right now about the rumors of Mitt Romney running for Senate in Utah.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 07:10PM

Mike Lee rescinded his endorsement.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 07:16PM

A real profile in courage moment since he'd endorsed that bugger in the first place.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 09:58AM

Here is some interesting info.

https://thepolitistick.com/bombshell-roy-moore-accuser-worked-hillary-clinton-joe-biden-campaigns/

Deborah Wesson Gibson, one of Roy Moore’s accusers, is a member of Progressive Politics Alabama and is someone who worked on the political campaigns of both 2016 Democrat presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and former Obama regime Vice President Joe Biden, providing sign language services.

Moreover, as the leading newspaper in Alabama reports, Gibson also provides services to leading Democrats like Sen. Patrick Murphy and Bill Nelson and shared campaign fliers of Roy Moore’s Democrat opponent, Doug Jones, for the Alabama election slated for December 12.

Posted by: Mutt Romney ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 02:21PM

And the rebuttal posted on the other thread where you posted this alt-right "news" site:

https://www.redstate.com/sarah-rumpf/2017/11/11/tone-deaf-attempt-discrediting-one-roy-moores-accusers/

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 12:27AM

And still is.

Posted by: caffool ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 02:11AM

This isn't about Trump.

Would you care to address the points made in the link instead of resorting to your usual BS of discrediting the source because it isn't as far right as you are?
Hint: the accuracy and reliability of a site IS NOT directly correlated with how far right on the political spectrum it is. You continue to embarrass yourself with these illogical arguments.

Date: November 12, 2017 08:36AM

The thread is tangentially about Trump. Moore is very much a Trump supporter, so it's understandable that Red State would oppose Moore--along with Establishment Republicans like David Brooks and Romney, whom I consider an "Establishment Republican wannabe."* They coalesce around the "never-Trump" group for different but overlapping movements.

*There's no getting inside Romney's head, but my guess is that he figures Trump is a passing phenomenon, and when crushed & gone he--and by extension, Mormonism--will be made politically legitimate, just as the LDS "mainstreaming" movement is an attempt by the COB to make Mormonism a "legitimate" Protestant denomination. Just a guess, of course.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:49AM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 03:48PM

Mitt is an "establishment" Republican. Which means he's for feeding the military industrial complex and keeping things they way they are. So of course him, McCain and all the rest of the establishment are going to finger Moore who is an outsider. Innocent until proven guilty but drop out of the race. The timing is suspect. Any non establishment candidate is going to be targeted big time. That's whether you are a Democrat or Republican. Mitt is a swamp creature. He really doesn't stand for much. I think he's an attention whore.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 09:27PM

People in Alabama do NOT seem to be taking Media Manipulation that well.

It could be that this is the WaPo stupidity, that they had the story months ago and due to trying to manipulate politics only released it now?

Whatever it is, we need to see the Corfman birth certificate or showing how old she was.

Coming out of Alabama I'm hearing news that she was a different age in 1979, but I'd like to know verification on that because if true, that's a pretty hefty cognization towards the accuser's veracity.

On the otherhand, if she shows she was 14 it shows the lengths that people in Alabama are going to try to let Moore off the Hook.

If Romney says Moore should step aside though...that's almost reason enough just to vote for Moore...

Isn't Romney about as Mormon as they come?

On the otherhand, Moore shouldn't have been allowed to run in the first place just based on his political stunts more than anything else, current situation wouldn't have even been a factor...

Date: November 12, 2017 02:01AM

Your conclusion that the WaPo was mistaken in believing it could sink Moore rests on the presumption that that was what the WaPo was trying to do.

But perhaps your assumption is incorrect. Perhaps the WaPo was playing a deeper game and saw that humiliating Moore would drive the wedge further into the Trump-Bannon relationship and thereby accelerate the collapse of that artificial alliance.

Yet another possibility is that the WaPo wasn't pursuing a hidden agenda at all and was simply following one of the myriad stories precipitated by the Weinstein drama and embroiling both Democrats and Republicans. But I guess this scenario doesn't satisfy because it doesn't explain why Moore is a victim.

If you believe Moore is an innocent victim, then you need a conspiracy story no matter how far-fetched it may be.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:45AM

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/everyone-thought-it-was-weird-deputy-da-who-served-with-moore-confirms-he-dated-high-school-girls/

“It was common knowledge that Roy dated high school girls, everyone we knew thought it was weird,” former Deputy DA Theresa Jones reportedly told CNN. “We wondered why someone his age would hang out at high school football games and the mall.”

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 08:44PM

Within the CR, anyone with the thinnest claim to being a Christian is automatically IN; The only "contest" (like Mormonism) is to see who appears Holier Than Thou, Tammy Faye isn't included or eligible...

Date: November 12, 2017 12:23AM

So, Romney apparently plans to run for Orin Hatch's seat. Suppose some woman were to bravely come forward and tell the world that he molested her 40 years ago. Are we to expect that Mitt would "do the right thing" in the face of "the seriousness of the charges" and drop out of the race until his innocence can be proven?

Date: November 12, 2017 01:54AM

No, that would obviously not be the right thing to do. A single unsubstantiated rumor is not grounds on which to assail anyone.

Now, let's put your Romney case in Moore's perspective. Say that there were four women who claimed that Romney did basically the same thing to them--four women who didn't know each other and couldn't coordinate their clams. Say that those four women had another two dozen witnesses who substantiated important parts of what they said. At this point we really are in a position to judge that Romney probably did what is claimed.

Now say that a TV reporter who was very friendly to Romney--the equivalent of Hannity--did a softball interview and asked exculpatory questions that, for some reason, Romney couldn't even answer. Perhaps Romney would say, "well, I don't remember having done that but if I did, I wouldn't dispute that." Or "I do know that I always got the mother's permission before dating a girl who was still a minor." At this point we could conclude that Romney almost certainly did what he is accused of doing. We could also conclude that Romney is an idiot, so intellectually limited that he would be a danger in office.

In short, if you are going to compare someone to Moore, you really should make sure that they are comparable. Otherwise you look like as inept an apologist as Moore looks a moral leader.

Posted by: blind mule ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 09:50AM

Who is Mitt Romney? And why would anybody listen to that schmuck?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 11:02AM

Political craziness, to be sure (Romney).

I'd think women voters wouldn't allow accused abusers any slack or support, they determine most election results. Ya Know...

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 12:07PM

The question should not be whether Moore’s actions need to be litigated as far as accuracy.

This is about the large numbers of tribalist republicans who say it does not matter.

The GOP has prioritized protecting their hive over pedophilia.

This is a symptom of end stage capitalism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.