Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 03:25PM

I used to work with someone who often referred to himself in 3rd person. Aquarius wonders why someone would have this annoying habit. Please advise Aquarius.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 03:34PM

If you were having an out of body experience, standing beside yourself, next to the person 'you' were talking to, and facing your empty body, it sort of makes sense that the third person would work...

Other than that, I'm guessing it's an acquired habit, like my use of snuff...

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 04:01PM

This is fairly common in the entertainment industry because people (especially if they are celebrities of some kind) often develop "alternate personas" as their public or professional "face."

These personas may be developed by that person (it may have been how they got whatever-the-part-was in the first place), or they may be mostly created by other people (agents/casting agents/p.r. people/ the producers of their hit show)), with the person "acting the part" having only minimal input.

If you, as a part of the business in some way, are talking to these people (interviewing them for a story you have to write, for example) they frequently refer to themselves in the third person when they are talking about their public personas, because at that moment, they are not talking about themselves, but about the public face they are being paid to act out. In these cases, being able to talk in the third person is often a relief to them, because they are (at that moment) feeling free enough to reveal that they are NOT the character they portray in public.

In my personal life, I have also observed that some pretentious people, and some people with personality disorders such as narcissism, may also refer to themselves in the third person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 04:04PM by Tevai.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 07:30AM

I occasionally speak of myself in the 3rd person in my role as a teacher ("Ms. Summer has given you a direction. You need to follow it.") It's funny that you mention performers because in a way, teachers are performers as well. We have a teacher persona and then a regular person persona. My students occasionally see glimpses of the latter.

It's a bad habit that I picked up from a mentor colleague as a first year teacher. I have been trying to break myself of it, and am *mostly* successful in doing so.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 08:07AM

I think it's so annoying that I'd probably do the opposite of x. Or just not do it.

Date: November 11, 2017 08:20AM

They are very young. It does no harm. Lots of hugs from them every day. I'm the one who is annoyed by it.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 09:01AM

Summer, we also are a teacher and not only refer to ourselves in the 2nd person but also will use the Royal "we." We have to be queen of some castle, after all.

Actually, I only very infrequently use the royal we and occasionally refer to myself as Ms. CateS. Have to do something to make myself memorable to the kids in some way and this is just one trick in my bag.

I don't find it repellent at all. Don't mind it when others do it, either. What difference does it make, provided I actually know the correct pronoun and tense to use? My kids are high school so they do "get" it.

Date: November 11, 2017 12:26PM

Ha! I also say, "We don't do that here" regarding hitting, kicking, foul language, etc. lol Also, "This classroom is not a democracy." I probably look like a pompous fool half of the day, but that's the job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 12:27PM by summer.

Date: November 11, 2017 07:39PM

"Oh no, that did not just happen."

"This is not a cocktail party." (Sit down.)

"What do you think this is, Camp fun and games?"

Various Sleepytown Express comments, as necessary.

I also use the "this is not a democracy" line.

Ah, kids!

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 12:50PM

Posted by: got2BReal ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 04:14PM

I have noticed that Donald Trump (narcissism) often refers to himself in the third person, so there may be some truth to that.

Date: November 11, 2017 09:05AM

Maybe it's just one POSSIBLE indicator of narcissism but not definitive indictment.

I do use the third person from time to time in an attempt to be distinctive but I am NOT a narcissist. Truly, lots of people say that of all the people out there, CateS is probably the least likely person to be a narcissist of all time.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 04:26PM

The only place I've seen it is in some Asian countries, in the older days , especially when speaking English to a foreigner, when referring to them selves

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 04:15PM

...and in Belgium. Didn't Hercule Poirot do this?

Date: November 13, 2017 07:10AM

Yes, come to think of it he does do that.

Date: November 10, 2017 04:56PM

LOL I just remembered Dobby the house elf from Harry Potter!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 04:56PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 10, 2017 05:48PM

ask ziller.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 10:45AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 10:17AM

I tend to go all third person on myself whenever I am tempted to accept responsibility for something I've done wrong.

"EOD needs to learn how to politely navigate his way through life or EOD is going to wind up dead, just like everyone else who's ever lived!"

"Why would such an excellent dog do something so horrific and abysmal!! What was he thinking!?" (That's the time I left the mayonnaise out all night.)

"If EOD had a nickel for every time he did that wrong, pretty soon he could afford to wash the van, the dummy!"

"If only EOD had a brain!!!"

Date: November 11, 2017 11:03AM

I'm a teacher, and I don't do that. But then I teach middle school. LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 11:05AM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 01:41PM

Ziller

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: November 11, 2017 03:19PM

Surprisingly enough they often spoke that way during the fifties
As an example; mom to child;
"move your bike so mother can park her car

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 04:19PM

Yes. Now that you mention it there does seem to be a adult>child thing like this.

Maybe as a way to emphasize hierarchy and relationship.

Mommy needs some quiet time now kids.

Uncle Frank is taking his "medicine".

Date: November 13, 2017 06:32AM

Lol Uncle Frank and his medicine!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.