Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 10:07PM

Part One episode of interviews with Elizabeth Smart, her family, and law enforcement who were involved with her rescue.

It's "Part One" of three episodes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 11:51PM

is it true that roy moore wants to date her ?

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 12:08AM

Smart to watch. Enjoy - tell us all about it!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 12:11AM

Good so far

Date: November 13, 2017 05:46AM

She's remarkably a poised young woman for all that she's been through.

You do kind of want to ask her about those religious beliefs of her kidnapper though, because they are just an extension of hers and her family's own. Sure he was delusional. But so was Smith and Young.

As she said herself, if she hadn't been Mormon he wouldn't have wanted to kidnap her. She became his "celestial" wife the night she became kidnapped. (yeah, right, sure.) If not for his brand of crazy, she well may not have survived her ordeal.

I understood about her dad a little better after watching last night. He did suffer a breakdown on camera when she went missing and had to be hospitalized afterwards. What parent wouldn't under those circumstances?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 01:05PM

I've been waiting to watch it. The radio station said it was on lifetime next weekend and I thought, "That isn't how it has been advertised." Can't wait to see it.

I read her book and, after reading that, I am amazed by her. I don't know how she survived what she has been through and I'll never WONDER anything about why she did what she did. She is a true SURVIVOR.

Date: November 13, 2017 03:30PM

There is also a movie which will be on Lifetime next week

Date: November 13, 2017 03:49PM

The reason Elizabeth gave for not immediately identifying herself to police when asked if it was her, was that she didn't think her family would want her back.

She didn't feel worthy anymore to be back in their good graces. It seems she'd acquired the Stockholm Syndrome during her captivity which made her more dependent on her captors which helps explain why she didn't try to run away from them when she had opportunities to do so.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 01:58PM

I watched it last night. She's a tough young lady. Horrible whatshr we t through. A must watch. I'm

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 01:58PM

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 06:40PM

After watching last night I came to the conclusion that Wanda Barzee should never be let out of prison.Her sentence will expire when she is 78 years old and they have to let her out. Hopefully she will die before that. She is scum just like Mitchell who will be locked up until death

Posted by: Details Please ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 12:08PM

Care to elaborate?

Date: November 14, 2017 09:52PM

Yes I would .Wanda Barzee was convicted of aggravated kidnapping Only through the gross stupidity of the prosecution was she offered a plea deal so she would testify against Mitchell . To me that made no sense at all . Would not the testimony of Elizabeth Smart herself be more than enough for any jury to find both guilty of not only aggravated kidnapping And aggravated rape . This yong woman was subjected to the worst kinds of torture for nine months . Barzee got off easy . She will be released at age 78. I don't think she at that age wold be much of a danger but it certainly the punishment does not even come close to the serious nature of her crimes . I hope she dies a slow painful death to be honest.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 11:22AM

Who hires unlicensed workers off the street, just to save a buck?

My Mormon neighbors hire homeless people, for pennies. These are, obviously scummy looking, with crazy eyes. We neighbors had children and grandchildren playing on the street, but now we keep them in our back yards, but even then, they are not safe. This summer, the people they hired stole everything in their garage. All I said was, "I'm glad you were the only hurt financially, and not any children harmed, or any of us." Still, they have been hiring off the street for 3 years, and the projects have never been completed, and have had to be re-done, etc. Mormon idiots.

No one gives any responsibility to the Smart parents.

No one mentions that the Smarts endangered the neighbor kids, as well.

Date: November 14, 2017 12:37PM

Elizabeth was the one who asked her mother to hire him when she saw him panhandling downtown SLC. So her mother did.

Trying to be good Samaratins I suppose. And then it nearly cost them Elizabeth's life.

Date: November 14, 2017 05:32PM

Actually it was her brother, Charles, who asked his mother to hire Mitchell. It was a dumb thing to do, but he was NOT allowed in the house. He worked on the roof and in the yard. They have admitted that it was a mistake and the learned their lesson the hard way. I think many of us have done dumb things too.I have sold things through the newspaper and allowed potential buyers in and have not done background checks on every contractor who has been in my home..

Date: November 15, 2017 07:37AM

In the A&E documentary it's Elizabeth telling the account of how she did that. There was no mention of her brother in her narrative.

Now therefore that's confusing. Why would she take all the credit for that if it was her brother?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 05:19PM

Mother Who Knows Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who hires unlicensed workers off the street, just
> to save a buck?

My Boss' super TBM wife.

Date: November 15, 2017 09:07AM

Not me.

There's too many horror stories of people getting ripped off by home improvement scammers.

To lose money on one job means to triple the investment elsewhere when you have to hire someone to do it right, or do it at all.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 05:34PM

Who hires unlicensed street workers? Just about half the mormons in my neighborhood. My good friend is a General Contractor. My neighbors know this. He has given probably 10 estimates to people on my street-and got 1 job. He's bonded, carries insurance, and stands behind his work, as do the sub contractors that work for him. He remodels high end homes and builds new construction in Draper. He isn't the cheapest, but he's not the highest bid either. The kind of guy you'd hire if you hit the lottery and wanted to redo your home. So many neighbors, after getting his bid, argue that they can hire laborers for less. This is true-but what kind? He lost a roof job to a polygamist crew. They showed up with 1 kid that could drive and 4 boys 11-14 to tear off the roof. He's had people come to him AFTER some street worker screwed up their plumbing or electrical. It costs twice as much to redo someone's poor quality work. Not to mention if someone gets hurt on the job. Guess who's getting sued-the homeowner. Maybe it's the tithing thing that makes mormons hire cheap, unskilled workers. It usually costs them more in the long run. Not to mention having shady characters scoping out your valuables for future reference.

Date: November 14, 2017 08:23PM

It's always a challenge finding quality contractors at a reasonable price. If such a thing even exists anymore.

I go through the BBB listings for references and ratings, then call and ask for estimates before I'll actually hire someone.

It's no guarantee I won't hire a scammer, but it helps screen out the types that only advertise through the Pennysaver, or the fly-by-nights who take payment upfront, only to disappear. (Or do slipshod work, and then disappear.)

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 10:02AM

StillAnon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
He lost a roof job to a
> polygamist crew. They showed up with 1 kid that
> could drive and 4 boys 11-14 to tear off the roof.

That's disgusting--those boys are slave labor. Tearing off an old roof is dangerous work, too.

Date: November 14, 2017 10:00PM

Do you also blame rape victims because the clothing they were wearing ? This is victim blaming and it is sick .Do you have that much angst against Mormons , that because the Smart family are Mormon that they somehow deserved what they got ? If so that is sick . Very sick.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 12:03PM

>>Who hires unlicensed workers off the street, just to save a buck?

I agree with you. I think her parents were insane to hire an unknown homeless person and put him in proximity to their vulnerable daughters. No one can possibly be that naive.

Date: November 15, 2017 12:33PM

But unaffected Mormons are. Until they meet with tragedy, they tend to be very naive.

In that sense, this could have been preventable if only they'd exercised more judgment in who they hired to do handyman work around their home.

Hindsight being what it is ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 12:34PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 12:38PM

But they can be that cheap...

Date: November 14, 2017 09:17PM

like this to happen. We can be very careful and still have bad things happen to us.

I just saw the second part this morning. She said that she didn't tell the police who she was because she was afraid that they wouldn't be arrested and that they would release her to them and she knew there would be a high price to pay if she did anything that made them angry. So she waited until she KNEW for sure that they would not ever have access to her again. Her father even said that he expected her to jump up off the couch and run to him and she didn't. It was when she was in his arms that she finally felt that she was free.

I was impressed by her husband, the little bit we saw of him. I was really impressed by the program.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 09:31PM

I remember a long time ago, late 70s, my father went down to McDonalds to bring food home. He came home with this scary looking guy. He was begging for money in the parking lot, my father felt sorry for him and got him a meal and had him follow him home to cut our grass. ( In the parking lot , he said that he'd work for money)
He wanted to be paid first, he only did the side of the house, and just left. He came back a couple of hours later and wanted more money for a kids BD party. My father said no, he never finished the lawn and my father paid him a lot , because he felt sorry for him.
Later that night, around 2:00 AM, our burglar alarm went off, it was very loud. We knew it was him. It was a good neighbourhood, where that stuff never happens.
If we knew that was going to happen, I would of wrote his plate number down and payed attention to the make of the car.
All I remembered was an old orange coloured car
The cop even said he believed that's who it was and the alarm saved our lifes

Date: November 14, 2017 10:53PM

How scary!

Oy.
'
The people who sold my house to me, their children were the neighborhood cat burglars - who got busted. That's why they sold their house when they did. They conveniently didn't disclose that when selling their house. I only learned about it after we moved in, from a neighbor whose house had been burglarized.

My church when we moved in, insisted on my changing the locks on all the doors, and did it for me (this before I had learned about the former owners children.) I was so glad they changed those locks. It was one of the best investments we made at the time.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 11:23PM

That's one thing I worry about when moving to a new place. When my husband was active duty, we mainly lived on military bases that all had armed guards at the gate, so I felt safe. Other houses we lived in, I always changed the locks, don't like the idea of someone else having keys to your house. We also got alarm systems . I also don't want any crazy people showing up, looking for the previous owners.
I like you, we both think alike on a lot of things.

Date: November 15, 2017 09:36AM

The "safest" place I lived was Staten Island, NY. The reason wasn't one most people would think of. It was because it was controlled by mid to upper level mafiosa. They kept crime out of their neighborhoods. They only exported it elsewhere to other places.

Speaking of strange people showing up unannounced. One of my neighbors had a drunk walk into her house one night while she was asleep. He thought he was walking into his own home (he lived one block over.)

He just stumbled into the wrong house lol. She deftly sent him out into the moonlight as quick as she could to get him out of there. It was funny only because he meant no harm.

:)

Date: November 15, 2017 12:42PM

of strangers! Come to think of it, my dad would NEVER have brought someone home like that and, if you saw my dad, nobody would try anything with his kids. He was scary to those who didn't know him. They called him Kong at the school he taught at.

My brothers and boyfriend are a lot like that. Not quite as scary as my dad was.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.