Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 02:32PM

Organ music playing in the chapel. Quiet whispering. Ushers. You have to pay to be there. The whole thing revolves around dead people. It's quit morbid actually.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 02:55PM

Mormon ward houses are similar but not quite as extreme.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 03:01PM

LOL

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 03:36PM

Hmm, I dunno -- funeral homes smell nicer than temples :)

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 03:46PM

Nicely observed! I notice also how LDSinc’s Temples are tricked-out in similar ways, in furnishings and colourings and etc.

Recently visited St. Patrick’s and St. John Divine’s in New York: whole other kind of tricking-out going on...

Human

Date: November 14, 2017 03:47PM

The Idaho Falls Temple is very funeral home like. The only thing missing is the caskets. The Cardston temple looks like a tomb. The Provo temple by the MTC looks like the mother ship. They have arrived! I wonder if there are any hot Plieadian blondes in there?

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 06:10PM

Interesting analogy. At least at the temple you don't have to look at a dead person. Yet some dead people I've seen at funeral homes look better than temple patrons.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 06:41PM

At least you are not assigned to clean the funeral home. And nobody bugs you to go there frequently.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 10:38PM

I’ll add that funeral home directors are always gentle and comforting. Once in the Provo Temple my apron fell off as I was leaving the Celestial Room. A temple worked proceeded to ream me a new one in front of everyone for undressing outside the locker room. Hey, my fly was up!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 10:40PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 02:51AM

Given your name, would something other than your fly have been "up" too, perchance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 02:52AM by captainklutz.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 12:47AM

I'm going to play Devils' Advocate here. One could also conclude that funeral homes are designed to evoke the same sort of emotions as one supposedly gets in a temple- a sense of timelessness, of calm and spiritual reassurance. Regardless of what actually goes on in those places, I think an honest intent is there if you want to find it.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 11:09AM

"Honest intent" is only delusion.

The bottom line is that it's about the bottom line.

Funeral homes are a business--they are in it for the money. This is the main thing they have in common with Mormon temples.

Funeral homes and temples are both depressing, but in different ways. The funeral home reminds us of the deceased and death, but the temple is centered on the THREAT OF DEATH. "We're gonna die, and unless we keep coming to the temple and paying tithing, we will lose our families forever!"

Temples have a menacing edge to them. I went when there were still blood oaths and naked touching. It was all threatening to the point of being evil.

In a funeral home, the furniture is for people to actually sit on.

Date: November 14, 2017 03:51PM

See. That's what the Mormon business plan never captured me as a customer. Being with my family forever would be hell. Not heaven. Their core product never appealed to me.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 05:29PM

I don't mind living forever with my family but I certainly wouldn't want to be a god over my own planet.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 03:15PM

I felt more like being in a tomb than a funeral home in the New York Temple.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 06:29PM

It costs about the same, except in Mormonism you die - and pay - every year instead of simply once.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 07:18PM

The MORmON temple helps people to feel holy ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CiyrZd-kB0

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.