Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 04:32PM

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/letters/2017/11/13/letter-to-stay-in-lds-church-is-to-be-complicit-in-the-suffering-caused-by-its-lgbtq-policy/

Among other things, how on Earth can you honestly expect us to have a shred of respect for you when you support these hate doctrines and the damage they cause by IDentifying with this hate group?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 01:21PM

I agree completely koriwhore. I thought the article was well written.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 01:35PM

My TBM daughter told her ex-fiance that she had the utmost respect for her father, but then she is TBM.

It was the whole gay issue that got me out.

The policy on the children of gays broke my heart. I wonder if she has to disavow her father to get a TR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 01:36PM by cl2.

Posted by: Anon for this One ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 07:42PM

for the high school where he taught.

While he was BIC, he never really bought into the idea of hating anyone just because of their sexual orientation.

Once, during lunch, he was sitting in his classroom, eating his sandwich and peeling an apple to eat with it. (I have never understood why he would not just bite through the apple skin, but he won't.) So he had this little paring knife in one hand and the partially-peeled apple in the other.

One of his students came rushing into the classroom with a much bigger kid after him. The bigger kid was yelling things like, "I'm gonna get you, f@##ot!" He clearly intended to harm the smaller kid.

DH stood up, with the apple in one hand and the paring knife still in the other, but remained behind his desk. He ordered the bigger kid to get out of his classroom. (When DH gives an order, there is no mistaking it; it is not a request.) He put the apple and the knife down on the paper towel on his desk, and approached the bigger kid, pointing to the entry door to the classroom, and repeatedly telling the bigger kid "Get out of my classroom!"

From this incident evolved the concept of the "Safe Zone," a guaranteed, bully-free zone on each campus, always manned by a teacher, where any kid could go if he or she felt threatened by another kid.

It was known throughout the LDS community that DH stood up for gay kids, but nobody ever made an issue of it.

Posted by: Done &. Done ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:09PM

Your husband is wonderful. He has made a huge difference. I know.

Posted by: stellam ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:34PM

Got chills reading your story. What a good guy.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:08PM

I like that she said this: " . . .that not only every LGBTQ Mormon should leave the LDS Church immediately, but also everybody who is and feels connected to them, or just thinks it’s ungodly the way they are treated."

I do believe a significant percentage of Mormons, the less TBM types, do not feel the same about gay people as their church does. I appreciate that. But how do you justify aligning yourself with a church with that history (the electroshock therapy, innocent women encouraged to marry gays to "fix" them) and those policies (children of gay"s kids excluded, life-time celibacy, being kept at arm's distance for gay Mormons) and look yourself in the mirror and see integrity?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:15PM

I don't agree with that only in the sense that when there was a ban on blacks holding the priesthood, much of the resistance and opposition came from within the ranks, not without.

It put pressure on the GA enough that it finally changed the policy to conform with the Civil Rights movement, after a century old ban.

If people had left there up until that change because of the ban, there would have been no pressure for them to revise it.

Social reforms in Mormonism have been reactionary rather than inspired.

Since people resigned en masse over the gay ban, it will motivate the leadership to change its policy eventually - it just won't be immediate (for it to "save face") because of the backlash it didn't expect by thousands resigning.

They prove through their own strategic failures those men are neither inspired or godly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.