Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Diogenes ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:29AM

I would appreciate it if someone here would tell me *exactly* what is prohibited in LDS belief re coffee and "hot drinks".

My understanding is that what is prohibited is not coffee per se, but rather, "hot drinks"--which would include tea, cocoa, etc.

So does that mean that iced tea or iced coffee is OK?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:42AM

Your understanding isn't correct.

Yes, the "Word of Wisdom" says "hot drinks." Without being any more specific.

However, over the years church leaders have "clarified" what that means, often contradicting each other, and always claiming to be "inspired."

At one time, anything with caffeine (or its equivalent) was banned, hot or cold. That included coffee, tea, and the "iced" versions of them, and also caffeinated sodas.

Then the ban on sodas with caffeine was lifted (around the time Pepsi-addicted Monson got more power), but not the ban on iced coffee or tea.

Currently it's coffee or tea in any form, hot or cold, even dry (putting coffee powder in a chocolate cake, for example).

The whole thing is a huge mess. The original "WoW" doesn't prohibit wine or beer, but those are absolutely banned now. The original "WoW" was also specifically stated NOT to be a "command," but a suggestion -- and it was made into a command long ago (you aren't supposed to get a temple recommend if you're using any banned items, but even though it says that meat should be used sparingly and only in times of famine, you can eat 20 lbs. of meat a day and get a recommend with no problem).

It was never about "health." It was originally about appeasing Emma and fitting in with the fads of Smith's day, and now it's about forcing obedience to arbitrary rules.

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 08:42AM

That is the beauty of the mconfusion— ties up your mind and energy so you cannot think for yourself.
M defines your time and thoughts = control.
Literally, when hot drinks cool down, they are no longer hot.
End.
If there is no mention of what goes in, then game over.
Now the rest of the day belongs to you (;-)

Date: November 14, 2017 09:18AM

I'm pondering your post over a nice hot cup of coffee...:)

Date: November 14, 2017 09:51AM

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 10:11AM

For some reason hot Postum is allowed, though anyone who has tasted it can agree it is "not for the body".

Date: November 14, 2017 11:54AM

Thanks to all who responded.

2 quick observations:

1. In ALL denominations, sects, religions, etc., food restrictions are essentially arbitrary, and are explained very nicely by ideas in a subfield of anthropology called Anthropology of Food.

2. Of course, Mormonism is all about mind control and giving people (at the top, of course) control over the thinking and especially the BEHAVIOR of the *untermenschen*--the peasants at the bottom of the latter. That explains about 95% of Mormonism.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 12:01PM

I think the only rational limitation is .... cannibalism. Yet there was a famous company heading for California which did that. And a place they stopped is a famous place: Adobe Rock in Utah.

Date: November 14, 2017 12:09PM

"latter"? UGH. Apologies, Next time, fewer distractions while I type.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 12:08PM

In countries where hot beverages are a part of the culture they substitute wheat or grain teas.

Cevada is one of the most vile drinks ever. But Brazilian mormons serve it all the time.

I understand there is an equivalent drink for Asia.

Date: November 14, 2017 12:37PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand there is an equivalent drink for
> Asia.

Yes, but that illustrates the fundamental lack of logic or reason in the "rules."

In Asia, hot green tea or black tea are forbidden (as are cold versions). Because they have caffeine.
But non-caffiene teas (herbal teas, for example), are perfectly fine, and they're just as hot as their counterparts. They just don't have caffeine (or much).
But caffeine-containing sodas are fine.

No wonder mormons can't think straight. Arbitrary, conflicting rules said to come from 'god,' and no caffeine!

:)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 14, 2017 12:49PM

They said we should answer questions as, "We must not drink, coffee, tea or alcohol unless it's for medicinal purposes. That would be snake bites, tooth aches or any serious pain control, and staying awake to do crop irrigation at night. Many rural mormons in those days kept these things on hand for emergencies.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 05:10PM

Granny bring me the jug! My rheumatism is acting up.

Date: November 15, 2017 05:22PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.