Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 02:37AM

The Trib had an interesting article concerning the infamous BYU Honor Code. I checked and couldn't find any earlier posts related to it. I apologize if I screwed up and dup;licated someone else's post.

Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2017/11/23/monson-its-time-for-to-byu-dump-its-honor-code/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 07:12AM

A Trib employee who was a regular customer of mine said Monson's role was "to piss everyone off."

I quit taking him seriously decades ago.

As for the BYU honor code? No opinion except to conclude it's probably honored more in the breech than the observance.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 10:02AM

This whole time talking to you i had no idea you were a doc or surgeon. Do you think me trying to fix my injuries of my life back to back to back is excessive? I am pleased with each result so far so its hard to know.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 07:10PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This whole time talking to you i had no idea you
> were a doc or surgeon. Do you think me trying to
> fix my injuries of my life back to back to back is
> excessive? I am pleased with each result so far
> so its hard to know.

Adam, I think you have to go with what seems to be working for you in dealing with back-to-back life injuries. If you're making progress, stay with the course.

As far as my being a surgeon, it's of limited importance here. I'll offer an occasional opinion, but my advice should be taken with the same handful of salt with which the advice of anyone on the Internet should be taken.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 10:03PM

Gotcha

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 11:57AM

Interesting that this person's suggestion to get rid of the honor code is all about his wish to have BYU seen as a true competitor in collegiate sports and has nothing to do with treating grown ups like two year olds who are instructed to tell on each other.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 12:40PM

I believe his article was in response to this article in the Deseret News focusing on the decline of BYU athletics, not the student body in general.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865693183/The-rise-and-fall-An-inside-look-at-the-decline-of-BYUs-marquee-sports-programs.html

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 06:45PM

But why has the HC stood the test of time? I think because it’s so culty. It infects all of the church leadership with the same nanny mentality and keeps extreme sexual repression and Nazi-like control alive and well. BYU is the modern Typhoid Mary.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 02:01PM

I dishonored the Ricks Honor Code at every turn. I was careful and managed not to get kicked out although I was threatened with it by the jack booted nazi, Paul Jones, who headed the local Mormon gestapo at the time. He said he'd call my father and my bishop and I told him go ahead...turf me...I got nothing to lose. He backed down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 09:03AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 02:37PM

I think the most difficult thing about the "Honor Code" is the uneven way in which it is enforced. Promising athletes often (though not always) are offered much more leniency than a lowly chemistry student who lets his mustache get a little long (me), or (even lowlier) a (gasp!) girl student who gets raped.

If they are going to release athletes from the code then they need to release everybody from the code.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 02:58PM

I agree with removing the honor code. I suspect one of the harmful things this code does is that it hides rape. It makes any sexual activity grounds for expulsion. Who would a woman turn to for help if she were raped by a star football player? Would she feel empowered by her school to come forward to the campus police with her case or would she be worried that she could be kicked out of school because she was forced to have sex? What would happen if she had been drinking alcohol and then was raped? I have a strong suspicion that the school would blame her and kick her out and keep the star-athlete-rapist in.

I don't have any evidence to support my hypothesis, I just feel that shaming cultures like this cultivate the worst behaviours in its population because all "undesirable" behaviour is driven underground and is not talked about and this gives opportunity to sexual predators - they know they won't get turned-in or caught.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 08:57PM

The so called HC is THE primary reason why,if I were of that age group, BYU would be my LAST choice as an institution of higher learning to attend!!!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 10:03PM

The situation of TBM parental expectations hasn't been mentioned, why?

(TBM) PARENTS SEND Johnny & Sally there hoping the kidlets will remain "pure" unravaged by unworthy heathens...

The HC serves as in loco parentis, a quasi-guarantee of fidelity to mom & dad's (claimed,at Least) values

Not gonna change, folks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2017 10:04PM by GNPE.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 07:01AM

The HC is just an extension of church culture that fosters evil. It encourages people to rat out the "deviants". I can't tell you how many times I walked confidently into an personal worthiness meeting with the belief that I was doing my best to live the gospel. Once inside, I found myself having to defend "discretions" that the so-called all knowing spiritual leader had been blessed by some form of "discernment" that I was not being honest. The asshat leader always had some sort of intelligence that I had done something so egregious and offensive. Damn tattlers.

I sat through two years of bishopric and ward council meetings as a lowly ward clerk. I wrote notes that detailed line after line of pure speculation why Brother Jones wasn't attending PH mtg. Then the dots were connected by some recon-intel that had been collected by a "goody two-shoes" HT visit. It was observed that this man's lovely wife was peculiarly absent in recent photo montages of the family. So every person had some wild speculation about Bro Jones having affairs with everyone on the planet. I think the RS pres had a convoluted notion that he was involved with a non-member teenager. Apparently, Bro Jones enjoyed swimming and this "hussie" was out to steal him away from his temple covenanted wife. Oh, the connection to all this malarkey was that the RS had driven over to the house and had observed TWO teenager girls walking down the road while wearing very short shorts. (Remember that I am struggling to write down their ridiculous comments as minutes).

I couldn't take anymore of their unfounded conclusions so I excused myself and went to the clerk office to dial up Bro Jones. I informed him that he was the subject of word council because he was not attending PH. I also told him that he had no obligation to explain his comings and goings, but I asked him if he could provide any info that could clear it up. It turned out that Bro Jones was trying to squeeze in an extra shift at work because his wife had a minor fall and chipped one of her teeth. He was trying to save some $$$ because cosmetic dentistry was expensive. Here's the kicker. He ran it by the EQ Prez that he needed to leave early from church in order to be on-time for work.

I returned to the meeting which was now being led by the Primary Prez about her ill-gotten rumors. When I told them the simple explanation directly given by Bro Jones, the room became silent. Finally, the RS prez spoke. "Elder Goop, do you really believe that is the truth?" I told her yes and that the BP should adjourn ward council.

The RS prez became indignant with me. "Of course you do. You're still young and haven't been around the block like the rest of us." The nutty lady resumed her attack on Bro Jones. Now, she was confident thru the Spirit that the wife's tooth was damaged from him hitting her with a frying pan. The RS prez actually started rummaging thru her purse for the phone # for the local shelter for battered women. I walked out of the meeting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 10:30PM by messygoop.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 07:36AM

The Honor Code is merely an extension of a church that wants to be all into your business.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 09:21PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Honor Code is merely an extension of a church that wants to be [INSISTS ON BEING] all into your business.

Yes, exactly!

TSCC takes PRIDE and PLEASURE in probing ruthlessly and carelessly deep within the vast annals of members' business, ESPECIALLY where it shouldn't be going.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.