Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 01:10PM

A bombing and subsequent shooting at a Sufi Mosque in the Northern Sinai region of Egypt has killed more than 200 worshippers.

The Sufis are the world's best hope for peace with Islam as they typically reject violence and are not aligned with the more violent factions of the faith. Sadly, this also makes them a prime target for attack at the hands of extremist Muslims who view them as apostates.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/24/africa/egypt-sinai-mosque-attack/index.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 01:13PM

Did faux news proclaim that the attackers were Atheists ?

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 01:22PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did faux news proclaim that the attackers were
> Atheists ?

No Dave. So far reports are that hundreds of innocent people have been murdered and wounded. Did you miss that part?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 04:36PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Did faux news proclaim that the attackers were
> Atheists ?

no need for that when it is a moslem based deal

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 01:58PM

Religion...the root of all evil...again

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 08:50PM

The moslems and their islam can't even exist with each other. I can't understand the blood lust the west has with itself by allowing islam to flourish here. BIG mistake.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 10:37AM

Yeah, 'cause christianity in the 'west' didn't go through hundreds of years of inter-sectarian violence and war.

Oh, wait...yes it did. And in some places it's still occurring. Never mind.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 02:00PM

It was a faith based initiative.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 02:38PM

This was a sad day for Islam in the same way the Las Vegas attack was a sad day for country music. It wasn't

It was a sad day for humanity, regardless of the specific target. BTW, a majority of all Muslims reject violence, not just Sufis. Yes, Muslims have more than their fair share of violent nutcases these days, but we had a very bloody war over slavery, plus a bunch of lynchings, assassinations and bombings in support of racism since. And lately we've been having our mass shooting of the week in the US, vastly outstripping the US death toll by Muslims, though you never know that from the tweet ratio.

So yeah, we've had our own fair share of nutcases over the centuries. Muslims are beating us on nutcases per capita right now, but don't count us out yet. Were showing signs of more violent nutcasery than we would have suspected twenty years ago.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 03:16PM

Thank you for this.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 07:57PM

Coulda been anybody anywhere, someone we know, maybe ourselves.

Humans, just like us. Everybody wanting to live their lives, look after their families, have fun, worship how they will, or not, go to the beach, traipse downtown, eat a good meal, say hello to a friend, kiss their loved ones.

Rudely, permanently interrupted.

As for why. I cannot comprehend.

Harder to understand is how some people don't seem to think it's a big deal, depending on the category of human slain - or something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2017 07:58PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 02:57PM

A sad day for everyone.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 07:36PM

I find all this us V them crap disgusting. We need to be reaching out to others not pushing away and drawing lines. We all need to do what we can. When you look in the mirror do you see a hero?

https://www.ragnbonemanmusic.com/video/human-2/

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 09:45PM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 03:13PM

Echoing sad day for everyone. Truly.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 06:15PM

A truly sad day for humanity. Peaceful people mowed down. Absolutely senseless.

I always think these goofballs who commit our news drama are starved for DRUGS. They missed a hit and get pissed off and go off on the world. I have seen crackheads who would sell their grandma's underwear for 50cents. They go crazy to get another puff...

...And methheads. Don't get them at all? The list of ingredients in meth is mind blowing alone, but to actually puff the stuff? They go crazy. A cop was shot 11 times by a meth head whose car had been speeding and flipped over a few times. Meth head was laughing at the cop as he shot him, as the cop tried to help the dum bastard get out of the upside down car. This was on his video button recording it all... A meth head who should not be on the streets!

What in the hell else can make people go nuts the way they do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 06:09PM by cutekitty.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 08:45PM

Drugs ain't nothin' compared to the high of religion and thinking - KNOWING you are correct and "they" are below you. Less than.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 12:59AM

“the high of religion and thinking - KNOWING you are correct and "they" are below you. Less than.“

What would this “high” lead people to do? Act violently? Kill innocent people? Mass shootings?

It’s confusing and I’m in favor of exploring and searching for the cause. I remember some lengthy posts from Tal Bachman regarding whether peoples beliefs inform their actions. Seemed to be a great deal disagreement on that question. I think I have to come down for the time being on the side that a persons beliefs – religious and otherwise – inform their actions.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 05:28AM

in the case of Islam, there are scriptural, divine commandments to punish the evildoers and non-believers in this manner. So it's actually not hard to understand why some Muslims act this way. Muslims, in the name of their "god", have been giving horror and grief to the Indian subcontinent for around a thousand years now, and they are still at it.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 06:09AM

You don't understand the Koran very well.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 06:16AM

Isis is angry that they lost their Caliphate, and are out for revenge. I guess they decided to take it out on the peaceful Sufis.

Date: November 25, 2017 05:32PM

BB, you are basically right, I have not done a deep study of the Quran. I have read some shocking passages tho, and in his Book, Allah is every bit as ruthless as Yahweh. There is also a changing group of all too human Imams and clerics issuing fatwahs of destruction, going back 1500 years and causing many schisms among the faithful. Not to mention the savagery of Sharia law.

BB, have you done a study of Indian history? Muslim warlords who invaded India are known for their ruthlessness, and for their devotion to Allah. They murdered millions of people. And Muslims in business and politics in India today are still carrying on their attack on all things Hindu.

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 11:25AM

Wait a minute. It's very unfortunate, but yes it is correct that in Islam "there are scriptural, divine commandments to punish the evildoers and non-believers in this manner. So it's actually not hard to understand why some Muslims act this way. Muslims, in the name of their "god", have been giving horror and grief to the Indian subcontinent for around a thousand years now, and they are still at it."

It's also important to realize many Muslims are peaceful and just want to worship God and live peacefully. There is not, however, a tradition in Islam to allow those who worship "wrongly" to continue to infect the world. There is also not a tradition in Islam of separation of Church and State. Due to the combination of religion and state in nearly every Muslim country there is no tolerance for differences in religious belief.

It's very important that we realize just how dangerous this is. Some very important books to read:

"Terrorist Hunter: The Extraordinary Story of a Woman Who Went Undercover to Infiltrate the Radical Islamic Groups Operating in America" by author "Anonymous."

"Why I am Not a Muslim" by Ibn Warraq. < A very in depth study of the Koran and the commands of Allah by a former Muslim who is a scholar of Islam.

The above 2 books are MUST reading by everyone.

Those of us who were formerly TRUE BELIEVERS in Mormonism know that we were taught we must be willing to kill if the Prophet ordered us to do so. Religion does have it's dark side, and this is it.

That said, many, many Muslims do not go that in depth into their own religion. However, if someone very dedicated to doing everything in the religion correctly approaches them and studies with them a person can be very easily turned what is called "radicalized."

Radicalization very easily occurs due to the fact it is the correct way of Koran and Hadith.

Please don't close your eyes.

That said, I have many colleagues who are Muslim; I know Sufis, Sunnis, and Shiites. They are good people. I also know the ones who are devout believe what they are told in the Mosque, and too many of the Imams were put there by the old Saudi factions with belief in the need to purify the world on unbelievers -- that it is a command of God.

I believe I have discovered the only antidote to this is friendship and conversation and a very, very gradual introduction of historical examination of the very earliest versions of the Koran.

Please also read the book by Christoph Luxenberg (a pseudonym), "The Syro-Aramaic Reading of the Koran: A Contribution to the Decoding of the Language of the Koran"

and google the following phrase "Like the bible, and to apparently an even greater extent, the Qur'an of today cannot be claimed to be a true version of the oldest Qur'an in the world discovered in 1972 "

https://www.liveleak.com/browse?q=original%20quran

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJWSeaFzVHs

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 12:10PM

There is a lot of truth to this. If you ask even a "peaceful" Muslim if they would be willing to publically repudiate the verses that are the basis for so many the problems, watch them squirm. They don't want to repudiate it. They just want other Muslims to selectively ignore the bad bits like they do.

That's not good enough.

That's the problem we have with the Bible too, but the Koran is worse. Muslims are in a time warp. That religion needs to be pulled by the short hairs into this century. They need to learn to play nice with others and quit thinking their religion is exempt from criticism.

Of COURSE there are other factors behind all the strife. As usual there are struggles over power and resources using religion as motivation. If you can get people to think that "God" validates the actions, you can get people to do horrible things. People use hate or any other ism too, but religion is especially effective.

Religion, obviously is not the only reason people do these horrible things. In general, humans are warring little creatures doing whatever they can to dominate the gene pool. They will use any reason to eliminate the obstacles and enemies they identify.

This is a tragic event that saddens everyone with an ounce of compassion, no matter what our views.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 09:44PM

Yes. It is sad. Muslims continue to be the primary victims of terrorist attacks and terrorism in general.

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 12:41AM

Tall Man, Short Hair, you need to be "bonsaied" and let your hair grow out.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 04:41PM

Tall Man, Short Hair Wrote:

> The Sufis are the world's best hope for peace with
> Islam as they typically reject violence and are
> not aligned with the more violent factions of the
> faith.

No no, SECULARISM is the world's best hope for peace with islam, and with any other religion for that matter. Go Team Atheism! Go Team Foreskin!

Date: November 27, 2017 10:37PM

Sufis are theologically and mystically aligned with Hinduism, yoga and buddhism, more than with Islam. But Sufism had to deal with a rising Muslim culture, so they had to play along with Islam.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 12:23AM

All of the creeds we know today have plagiarized, copied from or reacted against earlier ones, so they are all a mix-up. That's precisely why we should not defer to any one of them, but promote full neutrality. Secularism is neutrality.

Date: November 28, 2017 10:34PM

Visitors Welcome Wrote:
Secularism is neutrality.

Hopefully true, but not always the case. Secularism is often a term used by proponents of a would-be dominant "religion" or other strongly held cultural belief or practice, which seeks to control society and establish a type of religion or social climate that the secularists want.

Muslims in India today claim to be promoting a secularist government, but in reality the Muslims are organized to reduce the power and influence of Hinduism as much as possible, while making society as friendly to Islam as possible.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 03:48AM

While the Christians Mormons Muslims and Catholics distract each other, I’m running around having a good life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.